TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving some low-quality original objects?

Thiefmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice
    Hopefully he'll post a like to it here soon.
    I'm not really sure where I should put this, so I stuck it at http://thiefmissions.com/models/EPDemo1.zip for now.

Great work NV, that's a vast improvement .

OttoJ - If the problem is too many faces caused by the intersection of crossbars and vertical bars splitting up all the polygons, then you could try resolving this by shifting the crossbars off to a separate submodel.
    Normally bsp.exe works on models in much the same way as portalising works on level geometry, in that it will try to split up polygons around any overlapping areas, so that no whole polygon is both inside and outside the model (presumably it does this to avoid ugly z-clipping zigzags, but that really isn't an issue anymore with 3D hardware). But if the intersecting bits are stored in two separate submodels, it will leave them alone. The result can often be a much lower polycount.
    Last edited by Vigil; 28th Jun 2005 at 04:52. Reason: BSP doesn't actually delete the occluded bits, just makes sure that polygons stop at the join

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia
    I'm not really sure where I should put this, so I stuck it at http://thiefmissions.com/models/EPDemo1.zip for now.
    Hmm, yes, I guess it'll classify as 'models'.
    Thanks, Jason!

Tried to download the zip and just end up with a html file????

Just a few quick thoughts on the demo...

... as you asked for reactions!

Things I liked:

Most of the new models were an improvement. The ones that stood out for me were the large table, the candlesticks, the brown book, the collection plate (I'm having that!), the vase (and that!), new potions, the gem and LC Jars, the goblets amd cooking utensils. All of these were excellent.

Things I thought needed improving:

Crates - just did not look very real. The texture is too dark in places and too light in others.
    Carrot - you can see the joins here. Needs to be more rounded.
    Coinstacks/ playing cards - to me these look a little fuzzy.
    Bottles - texture is not right for me, a little streaky? and not like glass.
    Wooden doors - I don't like the texture on these (see crates). I'm also not keen on the horizontal strips on the plain wooden door.
    Large doors -not keen on the metal texture - looks strange.
    Gold and silver - texture for me is too sparkly (like one of Elton John's suits). Needs to be more dull.

Hope this is useful.

There are som very good improvements in that Demo, but I think The_Dude is right about the things that need som more work
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dude
    Things I thought needed improving:

Crates - just did not look very real. The texture is too dark in places and too light in others.
    Bottles - texture is not right for me, a little streaky? and not like glass.
    Wooden doors - I don't like the texture on these (see crates). I'm also not keen on the horizontal strips on the plain wooden door.
    Large doors -not keen on the metal texture - looks strange.
    Gold and silver - texture for me is too sparkly (like one of Elton John's suits). Needs to be more dull.
    there is also the stools, might I add, looks like the legs are made from to pices of wood and the label on the bottels are invisibel from the back
    Keep taffing, greetings from Nielsen74

It's worth noting that the lighting was very bright especially outside so I don't know whether some of the textures would look better in the gloom. Keep up the good work NV.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    I agree, those texures need work; I went a bit over-the-top with the contrast.

Well, the coinstacks are a 'known bug'; as for the cards... hmm, those look fine when you zoom in, but the texture seems to get 'warped' from farther away. Not sure what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsen74
    ...and the label on the bottles are invisible from the back.
    There was supposed to be a back on those labels, but it looks like I forgot to include that group of polys when converting the model...
    That'll be fixed in the next version. Which I probably won't upload until I've done a couple more models.
    Also, I've tweaked the texture a bit. Should look more like glass now.
    And fixed the texture on the stool legs.

Large doors - not keen on the metal texture - looks strange.
    I'm not sure if you mean the Cloister Gates (where the metal is a bit too green), or the 4x8 reinforced doors (which have a strange metal texture too). Both could do with a little tweaking.

Gold and silver - texture for me is too sparkly... Needs to be more dull.
    I'm not sure I agree with you on this one; 'treasure' items should be sparkly so that they stand out. Maybe I can tone it down very slightly.

Not quite sure what you mean here; that the carrots are not rounded enough? What joins?

R Soul: I think you should modify your red and orange doors to use the same texture names as the originals. In other words, change the names of the textures to DOrange.gif and DRed.gif - Wherever possible, textures should use the same names, to avoid problems with custom resources in FMs. I haven't always followed this rule myself (mainly when textures are drasticly different), but if the texture setup on the object is the same, the texture should have the same name. That way if someone has a custom DRed.gif in their mission, it will just map perfectly onto the improved door model.

I meant the cloister gates (couldn't remember the names of all the objects!) and yes the metal is a little green.

In relation to the nuggets, in reality (as I'm sure you are aware) gold and silver are quite dull metals (unless polished) and do not look as though they are covered in tiny sparkly sequins. I would prefer a more dull, uniform texture but its a very subjective area.

Sorry wasn't very clear with the carrot. I could see separation at the thin end where the sections weren't joined. No?

In relation to the nuggets, in reality...
    Well, I should probably point out that I found the texture for the nuggets on Google Images, from a picture of a real gold nugget. I'll see about tweaking it.

Sorry wasn't very clear with the carrot. I could see separation at the thin end where the sections weren't joined. No?
    I think you misunderstand. There is no carrot, only carrots. The original model is almost too indistinct to tell, but if you look closely it is meant to be a bunch of carrots, not a single carrot.
    My carrots model has three carrots.

I've been working on the wooden door / crate textures today and yesterday; the next version will look much better.
    Unless everyone else complains, I'll be keeping the crossbeams on the simple wooden door; without them the door should realisticly fall apart...

- NV

Those Roulette wheels could do with some work, they dont look very...round, id do it myself but I wouldnt know where to start (I think the Roulette wheels appear only in the Thief Gold Thieves Mission but correct me if I am wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice
    I'll be keeping the crossbeams on the simple wooden door; without them the door should realisticly fall apart...
    In that case you might also want to put in a crossbeam from butom hinge to the opposite side by the top hinge did that make any sense *maby a pic will do it, off to find it*
    Like this:door with crossbeam
    Last edited by Nielsen74; 3rd Jul 2005 at 16:42.
    Keep taffing, greetings from Nielsen74

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon
    Those Roulette wheels could do with some work
    Working on it

Damn that object's a mess
    Lots of unnecessary polys.

R Soul, the bell you made looks great! but is it meant for Thief 1/Gold aswell?
    I ask because The inside of the bell and the pendulum are white in Thief 1/Gold

In theory yes, but clearly there are texture issues (which I will sort out tomorrow).

The roulette table's nearly done, I'll finish that tomorry as well.

I would like to make a contribution im working on a better Card Table, ill have it done real soon!

Has anyone done the lost city light yet? I might give it a try if its still out there.

I made a new texture for it but left the model unchanged (except for a slightly different UV mapping). If you want, I can upload it.

Jeez, I never realised that carrot was carrots!

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98281
    Improved Card Table, you can put it in your pack if you want NV

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar
    I made a new texture for it but left the model unchanged (except for a slightly different UV mapping). If you want, I can upload it.
    Sure, I'd like to see how it came out.

Actually, I only changed the texture; the model stays the same:

Here's the .gif (for txt16):

Very nice! The model is ok as it is, but it really needed a good re-texturing.

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast