TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief Novice Contest

Vertical Contest Winner 2009

Thief Novice Contest

Two and a half months ago I announced a contest for novice builders in the editors guild. Tonight the missions are all done and ready for release. In most ways this contest is like Komag's Thief 2 contest, except that to participate you have to be a new author. All these missions are by first timers. To level the playing field the authors had 2.5 months to build a mission under 1,000,000 cubic units involving a bank robbery. The missions will shortly be available at thiefmissions.com As always, a big thanks to Epithumia for the bandwidth and time that goes into maintaining the archive.

The missions are

A Bank Job
    The Mech Bank
    The Last Gleaming of the Rising Sun
    Rosaries are Red
    Serge Bank
    The Taffer's Bank

To vote on the missions as you play them download a ballot here and return it to thief_contest@hotmail.com

Voting will go on through the month of September. Please play these new releases and thank the anonymous authors for thier hard work.

For more information, the contest rules, and some screen shots of the entries please visit http://www.jasonotto.net/contest.html

As per the authors request at this time it looks like the buggy Evendale is being removed, this is caused by a problems locating all the dedx items used in the mission.

VOTING

What good is a contest if you don't vote for the missions. Above are the links to the ballot and the email address to return them to, the categories are the same as Komag's, rate on a 1 to 10 scale, that is worst (1) to best (10)

Space - How well the limited space is used (mission seems larger than it is, not overly cramped, not wasted)

Technical - Visuals (effects), conversations, spells, tricks, animations, interactions, complex systems

Design - Architecture, textures, landscaping, decorating, realism, visuals, lighting/shadows, coloring, models

Atmosphere - Creepy, spooky, tense, exciting, thrilling, reminiscent, provoking, shocking, nail-biting, light-hearted/gay

Sound - Eerie, creepy, emotional, funny, musical, fitting/appropriate, unique, voice acting, tense

Unique - Unusual, far out, wacky, would-never-think-of-that, new, use of Dark Engine, different

Humor - Funny, hilarious, writings, voice acting, gameplay, taunts, looks funny, tongue-in-cheek, dry, LOL factor

Story - Moving, deep, well written, voice acting, immersive, pacing, draws-you-in, thought-provoking, twists, shocking

Puzzles - Challenging, traps, clues, sequences, ingenious, mechanical, detective, keyhunt, button hunt

Game play - Overall fun level, replayability, varied gameplay with difficulty levels, ghosting/sneaking, forced actions

Overall - Overall enjoyment of the mission, not the average of technical scores, just did you like it
    Last edited by Ottoj55; 1st Sep 2005 at 21:57.

Downloading now =)

Hopefully i can have one or two played before i retire for the night =P

Man what great timing... I was going through pains..

I'm downloading like a madman with a devlish grin on my face.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

hey, uh, what do i score out of on the ballot? 5? 10? 42?

Also, in A Bank Job
    spoiler:
    Where do I find the "safe" that the leter in the jewelry store is talking about? I need to find this "safe" so i cn find the lever that's inside of it to activate the switch to open the display cases. Theres only two safes in the level, and they're in differnt buildings, one of which i can't open >=.

Speaking of, any idea where i can find a clue pertaining to the combo for the bank vault? I can't seem to get out of this smalle neighrborhood block, though i would think there's a manison somehwere aroudn here or something, right? ir is the one block it?
    Last edited by EmperorSteele; 1st Sep 2005 at 01:30.

Oh, excellent . Downloading...
    Blessed are those who learn to judge the path for what it lacks, and in industry make it better for thy brethren.

The request to consider results at calculation of Russian fans voices who's don't speak egnlish so can't come here, but very carefully looks for every news.
    http://82.199.102.13/cgi-bin/forum/t...rum=3&topic=41
    Omikron Game - all about Quantic Dream projects

Ohh - happy day!!!!!

Downloading now!

EmperorSteele : First, jewellery store.

Hint:
    spoiler:
    To find the safe, search the 'workshop' type room in the jewellery store very carefully.

Dead give away:
    spoiler:
    Walk into the workshop-type room and shut the door. Lean around the left side of the door frame and look up, there's a small switch there. Turn around and you'll find the shelving unit has parted to reveal the safe mentioned in the readable. Return to the office and check the window frame to the left of the painting behind the desk for another small switch. It moves the painting to reveal the levers needed to open the display cases.

The scroll for the bank vault combo:
    spoiler:
    A patron staying in the inn had a scroll bound in red with him... if I remember correctly, that's the clue you'll need for the bank code.

A Bank Job is the only one I've played so far, and I must say, I've already been blown away by the quality! First mission, wooo .
    Blessed are those who learn to judge the path for what it lacks, and in industry make it better for thy brethren.

I'm pretty blown away too. I took all 7 for quick spins already, (too tired to deal with puzzles, more or less went sight-seeing) and honestly, they're all damned good. My jaw still hurts from hitting the floor when I saw Rosaries Are Red. All I gotta say is, that author was DromEding for a LONG time before releasing this. Either that or he's not human.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

CM: Thanks. I hadn't seen either of those things, obviously. I'll try not to hold a grudge when scoring, but jeez....

OH JESUS, that scroll was in the most obvious place! I got distracted and read the book on the shelf and LEFT!

OMG, i suck at this, hahaha XD

[EDIT] Okay, Evandale:
    spoiler:
    Anyone else finding invisible/not working ai all over the place? In the church is a six-inch tall, invisible hammer priest, and when i got out, i was being hit by invisble arrows from lord-knows-where, and died. On the bright side, the gaurd dressed up as a fern had me LOL!

[EDIT 2] Ok, gotta play through dromed to get stuff to work.. i dunno why stuff isn't working correctly, but mweh...

[EDIT 3]Okay, In Dromed-Play, i can't read any books! I keep getting a (rather amusing) "There should be a book here, but Thief couldn't find it", when they were reading fine before. WTF IS WRONG with this mission? Anyone else getting these problems? I'm sorry to the FM author, but you really, REALLY shoulda had someone beta--test your zip, cuz, this is a disaster right now =/

I think, if anyone does a "newbie" contest ever again, that they tell the participants to avoid using DedX if they can't package everything properly. Hell, i think i even have dedx installed, and stuff's still not coming up... wtf?
    Last edited by EmperorSteele; 1st Sep 2005 at 05:32.

How do we score the different bits? Out of ten?

I've had two problems with "A Bank Job" so far, playing on Expert.

spoiler:
    The safe is the jeweler's will not highlight, so I can't open it.

and

spoiler:
    The number buttons for the bank code will not highlight, so I can't enter the code to open the vault.

Evendale bugs

spoiler:
    Invisible archer guard and picking up the body of the 'pirate' in the prison after i ko'ed him, caused a crash to desktop and darkloader telling me my video card is imcompatible. There's also a invisible safe. I also have the dagger from the prison but it's invisible too. When i try to use it, it doesn't seem to be hitting the AI. i like the camoflaged guard.

Taff's Bank question

spoiler:
    Where is the vault and i assume inside the individual safes?
    Last edited by shadows; 1st Sep 2005 at 10:49.

Evendale

Invisible guards...........only one lockpick.........not a clue what to do next, been in bank got my tools but with the invisible guy walking around i'm just cowering in the bushes right now and the guard dressed up like a fern was funny. If anyone has any clues on this one please let us know.

M

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Jason, I haven't played it yet but it sounds like Evendale is missing some DEDx files... you may have to assist the author in getting it patched up.

Looking forward to playing all of these, once I get through TGG2 and Saints and Thieves...

Three words,

Mech Bank

and

Roseries are red fm

Just finished this one and i really liked it even though it was full of dead people. Lots of running back and forth and good puzzles. Great Work

Serge Bank crashes to desktop.
    Last edited by maloo; 1st Sep 2005 at 11:46.

Downloading now . Thanks very much Otto and authors .

Quote Originally Posted by That Miserable Thief
    I've just finished this on Expert - didn't have either of your problems. Are you getting close enough?

This FM is good fun with plenty to do, and quite challenging to play. The loot amount required might be a bit on the high side (I was 62 short of the grand total after looking everywhere twice with bow zoom on).

I've tested Mech Bank, so I know that's good too. If the others are of the same standard we are in for a treat here. Well done!
    Last edited by ffox; 1st Sep 2005 at 14:41.

just finished rising sun

Why must you folks torture me with haunts.........ug i hate them, anyhoo this was a pretty good fm. I found one thing though....when you are in the weapons room i could hear spiders but never saw any. Good Job

Quote Originally Posted by That Miserable Thief

spoiler:
    The safe is the jeweler's will not highlight, so I can't open it.

and

spoiler:
    The number buttons for the bank code will not highlight, so I can't enter the code to open the vault.
    I think it says in the readmy text that you hav to get gaylesaver´s scripts, as it sounds like a script problem to me, get them her .

Roseries are red is great even thouge I hate
    spoiler:
    zombie´s

Just playede sergebank but could not find
    spoiler:
    the code for the security system
    any takers
    Last edited by Nielsen74; 2nd Sep 2005 at 16:13.
    Keep taffing, greetings from Nielsen74

Wouldn´t it be a good idea to start a separate thread for each mission ?
    This way, it´s very confusing, and it takes a lot of surprise, when you read details about all the missions, you are going to play later on.

Miserable Thief

I agree neither the jewelers switch in office or bank key pad light up. Good mission too bad I can't finish.

Rosaries Are Red

So far I have played 3 out of 7. And the winner must be this mission.

spoiler:
    A Bank Out of Hell.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast