TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bankjob (Thief Novice Contest)

A Bankjob (Thief Novice Contest)

Seven FMs in one thread is chaos, even if they're relatively small ones, so here's one for the thread title. I was having trouble finding enough loot on expert and found a little more thanks to the tips I got from the other thread covering all seven missions. But I was still about 800 short. Then I walked up to the Art Gallery doors again and they highlighted. I would swear that they did not highlight the first time I checked them and I walked right up on them close enough to lick them. Getting in there put me over the loot requirement (15650 total). 'Looks like this is the max loot.
    Last edited by nchw68; 2nd Sep 2005 at 23:07.

I was 2 short on max loot! %$#$^ing two short. Oh well...still a good haul for a nights work

The two loot count you're missing might be the

spoiler:
    coin on the floor right next to a chair in the bar.

im like 200 short of max,
    like 40 something short of the objective, been to the art gallery

although:

spoiler:
    there's two archers walking around the fort up on the walls, is there a way up there? if each has a purse then i can get my loot and leave

I don't think you can get up there. I've been struggling with the loot too and have found enough to finish, thanks to ffox! Did you find a tiny gold ring on the workbench in the jeweller's? a gold bottle lying in under a bookcase in the room of the woman dressed in red? (It's at the top of a ladder near the jeweller's attic.) coin on the desk in Room 3 of the Inn? ring and coin on the bedside table of Room 2? Those are just a fewfof things I found hard to spot.

thank you NightWalker !

indeed i had missed some of those and i now got enough loot.

it seems, however, i am missing a secret and it's not
    spoiler:
    in the jewler's shop
    has anyone an idea where it is?

@ShadowWolf421
    Hav you tryede in
    spoiler:
    Hotel Room 2

Dead giv away
    spoiler:
    Frob one of the coathooks behind the door, then look down at the bottom of the chimney that lid has oppenede and inside is a purse
    Keep taffing, greetings from Nielsen74

I'm having trouble with this mission:
    spoiler:
    The first lever for the safe in the jewelers opens the secret doors but then the second lever doesn't frob. I cracked open the painting next to the lever with my sword and found a bunch of lever that won't frob either. Also the code buttons in the bank won't frob. Any suggetions?

Some people (including me) had this problem. I had to reinstall the scripts and restart the game.

This problem occurs after you play T2X, which deletes darkhooks.dlx (a file in Gaylesaver's script package) from your Thief2 folder. I've asked the mods on three forums to add this to the FAQs.

I now keep a copy of darkhooks.dlx in my Allsaves folder so I can replace it quickly after playing T2X. A lot of FMs won't play properly without it.

OK...how do I rob the jewler...I cant seem to find a way to open the safe in the
    workbench room and from the other spoilers I guess that is a good start. Technicaly I could finish the mission but I see there is so much more loot to be had when I check my stats after mission accomplished. Help me out...please

OK got it 15381 loot now

spoiler:
    evidentally the levers in the office wont work unless they are enabled in the safe. The lever for the safe is on the door frame inside the jewler workshop.
    In an earlier post someone said the jewelry shop levers did not work and someone said they needed the file" darkhooks ". Even if you do they wont work unless you do something else. See spoiler above.
    Last edited by Lightningline; 8th Sep 2005 at 20:20.

darkhooks.dlx was the file that was missing. Thanks freddy!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowWolf421
    im like 200 short of max,
    like 40 something short of the objective, been to the art gallery

although:

spoiler:
    there's two archers walking around the fort up on the walls, is there a way up there? if each has a purse then i can get my loot and leave
    I managed to make my way up there. There is no loot or pickables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsen74
    @ShadowWolf421
    Hav you tryede in
    spoiler:
    Hotel Room 2

Dead giv away
    spoiler:
    Frob one of the coathooks behind the door, then look down at the bottom of the chimney that lid has oppenede and inside is a purse
    I found this one but can't seem to frob the loot.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i don't know why its so important to spell everything correctly in a readable, the authors are often not native english speakers, or added spelling errors on purpose to make the readable more realistic, we are terrible spellers around here.

T2X

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a
    I found this one but can't seem to frob the loot.
    Try reading this thread Playing FMs after playing T2X
    Keep taffing, greetings from Nielsen74

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    i don't know why its so important to spell everything correctly in a readable, the authors are often not native english speakers, or added spelling errors on purpose to make the readable more realistic, we are terrible spellers around here.
    Speak for yourself

To me, good writing is one of the most important parts of an FM, and proper spelling and grammar is part of good writing. Introducing spelling errors on purpose in order to give a readable more character is one thing, however I think FM authors should have the self-respect to try and ensure everything else is spelled correctly. To litter readables and objective texts with misspellings and bad grammar weakens the impact of the writing, if it was that good to begin with; and to not care about this is simple laziness. Even though an FM author may not be a native english speaker or just doesn't spell well, it is not that hard to find a good english-speaking proofreader to help; no harder than it is to find a betatester.

It is also not that hard to credit said english-speaking proofreader in the readme file for your mission. This was TF's point, since he was the one who proofed this mission and got no acknowledgement for it.
    Last edited by Vigil; 18th Sep 2005 at 13:43. Reason: Clarifications, in vain

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    self flagellation is the best kind i guess, i personally like it when the readable matches the author, terrible spelling for benny, lots of therefore and forthwiths for nobles.

Thiefmissions.com

I aggree, but remember that nobody writing with a quill and ink is going to make typos. They'll misspell out of ignorance but will never write "teh".

Bank Job

OK, I am in the bank but can't find where to use the code to open the vault door. HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Earlier in this thread - look around 8th September 2005.

Bankjob

Thanks for your effort but where I am stalled is in the Bank proper, I can't find the coin collection. I have a code for the bank vault but can't find any place to use it.

@Lynx67

Sorry, I didn't read your first post carefully enough.

In the back office there's a lever on the wall (near the wastepaper basket).

Her you go

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx67
    I can't find the coin collection. I have a code for the bank vault but can't find any place to use it.
    Hint
    spoiler:
    In the bankmanagers office some were is a switch

Dead give away
    spoiler:
    In the bankmanagers office, behinde the desk on the lefthand side is a small lever that makes the painting on the righthand side slide up revealing a number pade that controls the vault door and in the vault is a nice chast with the coin collection in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast