TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: New error:VirtualAlloc Failed!

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered

New error:VirtualAlloc Failed!

I made a little restyling of Rowena's Curse. Nothing crucial, just little things and textures changes. I had already tested (played) the mission through Thief exe, in the installation I use for editing, without problems.
    So I packed it and I wanted to test it through Darkloader, in the installation that I use to play the FMs. The only difference is that I have the Enhancement Pack installed there. Since I was tired of playing it, I thought to test it through Dromed (under Darkloader) from start to end, but with AI awareness off.
    I was almost at the end, in a room that I had visited before, nothing special in it, when Dromed froze with the usual Assertion failed:

VirtualAlloc Failed!(File: poolimp.ccp, Line:86)

I clicked Ignore, then I had this:

Out of memory (File: primall.ccp,Line96)

I selected Ignore again, and Windows crashed with an error...

There is nothing significant in the monolog, even the Windows crash is not reported.
    I don't think it's related to the Enhancement Pack, I checked the palmgr_count just at the beginning of the test and there were 192 palettes.
    I made a search, but I didn't find anything like the first error. As for the 2nd one.....how it's possible, I have 2 giga of memory.
    I didn't hit any limit, anyway, this is a 5 years old FM and I didn't add anything that can make it crash....

What can it be? Any idea please?

VirtualAlloc is a Windows system call to allocate a large chunk of memory. It is obviously failing - but why is difficult to figure out.

Windows thought it ran out of memory. Did you have another large applications running? (3D Modelling? Sound processing package?) Or have you been running without rebooting for weeks? (I find too many applications leak memory in Windows).

What verison of Windows are you running? XP? Older?

If you reboot and run, does the problem go away?

Hope this helps
    Shadowspawn's Thief Pages
    Darkness is always faster than light. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds the dark waiting for it.

Do you have virtual memory enabled?
    It should be very, very hard to run out of memory if it is, even if you were using your full 2gb.

No, I wasn't running any other programs but Editpad, since I was taking notes of the things that had to be changed.

I was also using 3DFix (or how it's called). I made a long session of Dromed, without interruptions, and I used the Esc and then the Windows key to pause the game, since I wanted to test the mission from the beginning to the end.
    Maybe that was the reason for the heavy memory usage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Do you have virtual memory enabled?
    It should be very, very hard to run out of memory if it is, even if you were using your full 2gb.
    What is virtual memory?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Virtual memory: How your OS fools applications into thinking they have access to large, contiguous memory spaces, while in reality it is fragmented from your available RAM and, in many cases, also from disk space on your HD.

Rather than switching to a text editor, try making use of Dromed's own bug reporting system:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44546

The first command produces a larger input box if you're feeling quite verbose.
    In either case, pressing Enter will close the input window.

The comments are placed in bugs.txt

Yandros
    Thanks for the explanation, but I didn't enable anything......
    Maybe I should read all that stuff......

R Soul
    Thank you, I will try it next time.

BTW, I'm using Windows XP Professional SP1.

Is it possible that a too long session of Dromed, continuously in game mode, causes the error?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It could be possible. I play in game mode for an hour or more sometimes (playing missions with AI Aware off as you did) and I've never seen this crash, but maybe I'm just lucky.

I restarted the mission, and it happened again! In another room and even sooner in the game, after one hour or so......
    No error messages this time, it just froze. I had to press Ctrl+Alt+Canc to return to Windows.
    I really don't know what to do. I can't spend hours and hours just to test the damned thing.

A pair of hours later.....

I repeated the test, still in Dromed, but in my editing directory this time, not through Darkloader.
    I went from the beginning to the end, almost 2 hours in game mode and no crash happened!

At this point I don't know what it was. Or it's DDfix fault, or the EP, which I don't think. Or it's just Darkloader. In fact I never run an whole mission in Dromed through Darkloader.
    Anyway, I'm too tired to indagate any further. I can only hope that the error will not show up during the game.

Boot up your Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Now load up DromEd. Look at the Task Manager and notice that CPU usage is now 100%.

It doesn't seem to matter if you have 256 megs of RAM, or a terabyte...DromEd hogs it all. Little wonder then that your Virtual Memory Allocation is defeated. You can increase this through the system settings, or buy more RAM.

Ricebug

Eh, what?
    DromEd uses 100% CPU when its 3D view is being actively updated.
    It doesn't use that much memory at all. Even with a very large, custom-resource heavy mission loaded, it won't use more than a few hundred megs.

CPU usage has nothing to do with the amount of RAM you have.

Not sure if this will help, but this error occurs in a function called cPoolCore::Alloc, and it is trying to allocate less than one meg (65,536 to be exact). The error is spit out if the call to VirtualAlloc fails. There are several reasons for the failure, but since you get the out of memory error as well its reasonable to assume something has a memory leak. If you only get the out of memory message while using dromed then you can assume that's the culprit.

No, if I use Dromed only it doesn't happen. It happens if I use Dromed + Darkloader + the EP + DDFix.
    Maybe is one of these programs, or the combination of the four, who knows?

Are you using Windows Vista?

I've heard that some older programs don't properly "recognize" the available amount of RAM (i.e., virtual memory) on Vista. For example, 2GB might be misinterpreted as 200mb. Don't quote me, though!

By the way: How do you get DDFix to work with Dromed? I patched my
    Thief2.exe, but when I use Dromed's "Game Mode", the graphics look very poor (like the unpatched version of Thief2) and the game freezes! Thus, I can't work on my crappy level!

N

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    who knows?
    Not me! But I can make one guess:

It's not Darkloader. When it's not extracting a mission all it's doing is displaying some attributes and some contents of some zip files. Even if the mission readme is an .rtf it's not going to take up very much space.

I don't know much about DDFix. You could try running Dromed without that, and if see if the error stops occurring.

That's not to say that DDFix is bad. The problem could be a symptom of other problems. You could have other things running in the background and gobbling up memory (e.g. Norton AntiVirus) and DDFix could be pushing your computer over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy Jones Wannabe View Post

I've heard that some older programs don't properly "recognize" the available amount of RAM (i.e., virtual memory) on Vista. For example, 2GB might be misinterpreted as 200mb. Don't quote me, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    Yandros
    Thanks for the explanation, but I didn't enable anything......
    Maybe I should read all that stuff......

R Soul
    Thank you, I will try it next time.

BTW, I'm using Windows XP Professional SP1.

Is it possible that a too long session of Dromed, continuously in game mode, causes the error?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Not me! But I can make one guess:

It's not Darkloader. When it's not extracting a mission all it's doing is displaying some attributes and some contents of some zip files. Even if the mission readme is an .rtf it's not going to take up very much space.

I don't know much about DDFix. You could try running Dromed without that, and if see if the error stops occurring.

That's not to say that DDFix is bad. The problem could be a symptom of other problems. You could have other things running in the background and gobbling up memory (e.g. Norton AntiVirus) and DDFix could be pushing your computer over the edge.
    Well, the important thing is that it's not the mission itself, so that the error will not be reproduced on the players' system.

Quote Originally Posted by Quincy Jones Wannabe View Post

By the way: How do you get DDFix to work with Dromed? I patched my
    Thief2.exe, but when I use Dromed's "Game Mode", the graphics look very poor (like the unpatched version of Thief2) and the game freezes! Thus, I can't work on my crappy level!

N
    Ehhmm no, I'm not using Vista.

As for Dromed, NV sent me a patched version of Dromed with DDFix. But to tell the truth, I don't use it for dromeding, I only use it occasionally, when I want to see a decent sky, since I feel very uncomfortable with it. First of all, Dromed is always on top of the screen, and I can't do anything else while I'm using it. Doors and some textures look really bad....
    As a conclusion, it's more convenient to not use DDFix with Dromed, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    Haha, give me a break! I didn't see it.

I checked some techie sites, and they seem to indicate that this error has something to do with the Windows Firewall. Maybe. Maybe not.

Ricebug

I'm sorry to bring this thread back to the surface but I'm facing the same problem with one of my missions.

I can optimize the level but as soon as I enter the game mode, DromEd crashes.
    When I optimize and then build the AI path database DromEd freezes when performing the objects splitts and soon after it, the error occurs.

I guess it must be the path database because optimizing and room / ai room building doesn't crash it.

The optimization cmd window says the following:

In addition, the report says:

Code:
    14206 polys, 3211 cells, 19208 portals, 53865 points, 145988 vlist, 19730 planes
    Total WR size:   5425K
    Geometry:        2272K
        Cells:        263K
        Polygons:     926K
        Planes:       308K
    Lightmaps:       2998K
        Main lm:     2280K
        Anim lm:      718K
    BSP:              154K
    Some things that confuse me:

Code:
    ZeroZero Report
    Object Texture 2 (1) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Texture 4 (2) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Flow Group 1 (36) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Default Room (40) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Flow Group 2 (80) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object EnterAirfield (371) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object VictoryArea (378) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object PilotTalk (525) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object A broadhead (756) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Texture 72 (1039) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Texture 1 (1040) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Object Texture 122 (1041) at ZERO ZERO ZERO
    Found 108 ZeroZero objects
    ...and here:

Code:
    Checking for Lost Objects
    ERROR: Object UNKNOWN (296) is lost!
    ERROR: Object UNKNOWN (297) is lost!
    ERROR: Object UNKNOWN (3501) is lost!
    ERROR: Object UNKNOWN (3502) is lost!
    ERROR: Object UNKNOWN (3503) is lost!
    ERROR: Object Texture 135 (1025) is lost!
    ERROR: Object Texture 124 (1029) is lost!

863 Lost Objects
    My guess is that the lost objects cause the error while building the path database (adding object splits on lost objects?).

I rebooted the system and switched off all other programms like anti virus tools and had only DromEd running, but the same error.
    Before DromEd crashed it used ~137 MB RAM of 3GB.
    I switched to an version of DromEd without the DDFIX, but the same problems occur (running DromEd on Dual Core CPU with Vista 32 Bit).

Can this problem be fixed? I'm cursing myself because today I forgot to do backups, so the only version working is the one from yesterday

First thought that comes to mind, have you tried entering game mode/building the path database inside area brushes?

also tried purge_missing_objects?

Also I would scan through your texture heirarchy for positive gamesys numbers. Are all your textures in one of the "sound folders" Tried compress textures?

Then I suppose you could goto 0,0,0 and wipe everything there if you still have trouble. What dromed needs to put there will come back.

I solved the problem. It was caused by two elevators. After removing the elevator script and the moving terrain = false property everything work like a charme.

Guess they screwed the path database somehow...