TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't musically sound like anyone, so

I don't musically sound like anyone, so

I didn't get signed, or try to get signed. I realized that they want clones...not unique people, so I am an independent artist. check it out and my gig section has a corkboard to links of other music..

www.marissamarchant.com/music.html

I'll give it a listen when I get back to Seattle....even though this topic might be closed/deleted for advertising and stuff.

BANNED
    What a strange place to register just to pimp your music. The song links are broken. Reccomend me a tune, I can't download all of them; also, congratulations on going independant. Will you marry me?

Wow, you're fucking full of yourself. Your pretentious claims of uniqueness would be a lot more convincing if you didn't sound like a Tori Amos clone.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, I've never heard Tori Amos so dunno bout that. Sounds kinda/slightly/ish like Aimee Mann tho... except not quite as nice. And when I say "not quite", I mean "NOT BLOODY NEARLY". Tho that's nothing to be ashamed of, coz Aimee Mann is fucking amazing and I love her. And I wanna marry her... but I guess I gotta be realistic, she wouldn't wanna marry me, so... will you marry me Marissa? You don't want that Para?Noid guy, he has a tendency to shout at women and make them upset. (proof)

BANNED
    THE LITTLE SLUTS LOVE IT

Wow, another Aimee Mann fan. I thought I was alone. Yay for henke!

Level 10,000 achieved

Well Marissa, I guess it's your choice if you wan't a guy like that or a sweet, caring guy like me who knows how to use punctuation.

Also, as is apparent by this thread, Mr. Para?Noid is also a "gang-banger", as they say... on [contempt]the streets[/contempt].

edit: pakmannen; yay for being a Aimee Mann fan, boo for breakin up the flow of me and Noid's squabbles for the fair yet musicaly un-talanted lady's heart.
    Last edited by henke; 17th Jul 2004 at 14:41.

Sorry 'bout that. Please forgive me.
    Oh god I'm so evil! Bwahaha!
    Last edited by pakmannen; 17th Jul 2004 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by marissam
    I didn't get signed, or try to get signed {emphasis added}. I realized that they want clones...not unique people, so I am an independent artist.
    Your music bothers me a lot less than your attitude. How do you know that you're Not A Clone when you didn't even try to get signed to the clone-wanting record labels? Wouldn't that be kinda like me saying that the only reason I'm not at Julliard is simply because they couldn't keep up with my brave and unique style of acting, even though I never actually auditioned?

As for the tunes, I hear RBJ on the Tori, and I hear Henke and Pokemon on the Til Tuesday. I'd also say that there's a dash of Shellyan Orphan, and just enough Amy Grant to give it an AOR-pop feel.

Not that ANY of those are necessarily bad things, in and of themselves. You're obviously not a hack. Most of "For You" was pretty. ("Green Tea" sounded like someone singing over a piano exercise, though. At least the first 15 seconds did - I couldn't make it any further than that.)

Stay with it, but remember: it's probably best to delay pretentiousness until you've got the weight (define that how you will - "repeat gigs to numerous fans that aren't friends of yours" would probably be the best yardstick) to back it up.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 17th Jul 2004 at 15:26.

Oh yes! This is the crazy woman who was charging $4000 for an album because her music was just that good! Her batshit antics have amused me in the past and I hope she sticks around here to entertain me further.

Unfortunately, it looks like someone did some damage control and removed her hilarious anti-pop music screeds from the website. I'm glad to see her poetry section is still providing comedy, however.

Don't waste your breathe Zaph. She's a Sypha to the tenth power.

I'm sorta sad that it took this long for her to hit TTLG, but she's been trolling other message boards for months talking about her "unique, artistic vision."

At one point, I believe she claimed to be selling her CDs for $1000 each.

Quite clearly: Batshit insane.

Am I missing something? I 'm having a hard time seeing how she's "fucking full of herself". Yes, maybe she has pretentious over-tones, I'll say that much. I dunno if I'm missing another poorly written paragraph on her website or something (sounds like she's japanese and new to english). But it is true that mainstream media breeds mediocrity, I don't see how that makes her full of herself...

If it is true that she's been selling her music for that much, then yeah, that's proof enough right there. Anyone have any proof of this?

Step 1. Google Marissa Marchant
    Step 2. ???????
    Step 3. PROFIT!

My musical talent is also pretty unique which is also why I have never tried to get signed.

BANNED

MY. GOOD. CHRIST, herself...

I sure hope you aren't a ttlg lurker with too much cash.

A. How exactly did you locate www.ttcrueltylg.com, Marissa M. of NY, NYQuiote?
    Musical Webcrawlage rented? Too much time on the webmaster's hands? Some Spidercrawler somebody just wrote for you? DO MIND RBJ: he lives in your ostensible vicinity and he thinks he's doing you a favour by chewing your face up a la NYawkNyawk subway folk.
    There's money and some kind of management of your affairs by someone and lots of time involved: website looks great but no real depth and many links are just waiting to be enabled (should not be clickable at all: unavailable links should not BE there).

You need to get the writing down more "progressively" or at least steam the ditsy pseudo-Celtic noodling out of the accompaniment.

Quote:
    "Hi, I have a message for everyone! "
    -No, you don't: vigorous denial does not factual situation make; who's going to pay the vigorish when this does not turn into "gigs"?
    There's talent but no sense of the world: I suspect Jesusfakery wrecked you and your parents.Get some real scaryJesus of the desert-wandering into your soul and blast away to the stars when you return to NewYorkNewYork. You're too nice even for Toronto, dammit.

I bet you've been had by a vanity agent and your parents keep kicking money at this. Get to a composition teacher and go outside hiking and camping and learn survival outside NY, NY and be a SCARY CREATIVE GAL first, not just a cheesy, talented singer who tries to do everything.
    Did you sing even the uncredited male part in the Spanish Number??

You've almost turned into the LoungeJebus version of the Peter Pan guy at www.pixieland.com and HE was on Conan just last night and turned out to be a lucid, smart ConEdison employee that idiots merely assume to be a brain-damaged moron. (Hey, ttlguyzgalz, I taped everything on creamy setting, CLEARLY: you know the Bugster by now
    ANNNND: he's 50 now; /me gets scared at 51, OUCH)

You ain't either, but you're headed there if you don't take charge of your own fierce. The music is not bad, which means, like the Brits do, that it's terrible for the public and your own soul-develop. Singing a cappella would be much smarter.

Quote from RBJ: "Step 1. Google Marissa Marchant
    Step 2. ???????
    Step 3. PROFIT!" --rather ignorant and useless spam, too; this kind of Googleflooding will make it much harder for you to succeed, "Marissa", unless you are actually an A.I. product, a la Idoru, which is the most wonderful and frightening threatpossibilty of ALL.

(...not enough time in life or inclination; I just got a keyboard gig myself for next Thursday and I need to hone the polyphoniclassicalchops ASAP...AND you're cutting into my Saturday [FF] DoD time )

Good luck.
    Last edited by buglunch; 17th Jul 2004 at 18:15. Reason: updating the cheeze

Previously Important
    Quote Originally Posted by buglunch
    you know the Bugster by now
    Perhaps once upon a time before you became a raving spam monster, that may have been true.

Is this all just another joke that I'm not in on?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man
    Perhaps once upon a time before you became a raving spam monster, that may have been true.
    Wait a sec, wasn't he <i>always</i> a raving spam monster?

It's just that before the spam was merely harmless gibberish, whereas now it's oozing condescending "enlightenment" dispensed to forum denizens and pimptrolls alike.
    Last edited by Rug Burn Junky; 17th Jul 2004 at 20:01.

BANNED
    I agree. I don't know if I can take another barbarically random, loosey associated lecture that has little to do with the subject on hand. Bug's staunch relcutance to be anything but a gibbering madman is childish and certainly puts up huge barriers between myself and him. After all, although mindless cock jokes are quick, instant hit laffo, it's the intellectual, clear thought that will make any kind of impact.

And for christ's sake, STOP PUTTING LOL ON THE END OF EVERY OTHER FUCKING WORD

Moderator and Priest
    Buglunch adds spice to the boards, people! He be tha cheyenne in tha chili!

Not that I can understand what he's talking about without putting some effort into the decryption. He's like this one old guy I used to work with....never could understand a single word he said, but I'm sure that due to the tone of voice he used, and the occasional word I could understand, he was a pretty interesting conversationalist.

Course he could've been batshit fucking crazy, but that's completely unrelat....well....okay, that could apply here as well.

double you tee ehff

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Taffer
    double you tee ehff
    Agreed. But please, don't stop. This is the funniest shit I've run my eyes over in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Para?noid
    THE LITTLE SLUTS LOVE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Para?noid
    it's the intellectual, clear thought that will make any kind of impact.
    Haha!

As some of you know, probably from inane bitching or whatever (maybe I did it on another thing) anyways, I have a dial up, and very slow connection.

So I just want to say...

THANK YOU Marissa. For wasting 25 minutes of my time, while I put my Korpiklaani downloads on hold...to download yet ANOTHER tori amos rip off, and possibly one of the crappiest songs I've heard thusfar in my short, yet colourful life.

*hands you a coconut*.
    "Night surrounds, We're roaming through the shades of forgotten fairytales" - Elvenking - Seasonspeech

"From now on, you will all refer to my with the name..Betty..hhmnyah" - Kung Pow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast