TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Turning *off* God Mode?

Turning *off* God Mode?

I was forced to enable the 'undead' cheat in the user.cfg after a combat droid followed me into the respawning room. It kept killing me indefintally so I really had no choice. However, after I killed the robot and got rid of the Undead line in the config file and restarted the game, I still have god mode enabled! This severly sucks the fun and any tension out the window. Is there a way to go back to a mortal?

Never used that cheat, but according to SS2MM, if you save while the Undead cheat is active, the "immortality" is saved with it. I don't know of a way to disable it, other than starting a new game. Wait for a second opinion.

You can, but it is a little longwinded.
    • Remove the "undead" line from the cfg file.
    • Download ShockEd.
    • In that file is another Zip file called shocked.zip
    • Extract that zip file into the folder you installed Shock 2 into. It must go into the folder and not a subfolder. Let it override whatever it wants to
    • Start Dromed.exe
    • File > Load and pick a .mis file. It doesn't matter which one.
    • Press Alt+G to enter game mode. It will give you an error, click cancel to carry on.
    • Press Esc and then load your save game
    • Press Alt+E to go back to the editor. You are now editing your save game.
    • In the bottom right of the editor is a command line box. In this type "find_obj player" without the quotes.
    • In the bottom centre of the editor is a button marked "Properties". Click it.
    • Expand Game > Damage Model and highlight the Death Stage entry. Hit the delete button and "ok" your way out.
    • Press Alt+G to enter Game Mode
    • Press Esc and save your game
    • Go back to the game and press Alt+E to go back to the editor
    • Quit the editor
    • Load up SS2 and load your new Save Game.
    • You should be able to die.

Told you it was longwinded

SShock2.com

Great checklist David

This is a question that comes up every once in a while, so from now on we can always reply with the usual 'Use the SEARCH function!'

Excellent, thank you very much David.

Oh, so it can be done! Awesome! Thanks David!

Enchantermon
    Is that considered flirting?
    TNTís Lair
    Citadel Conversion Project

Just tried to do this and could not get it to work. I get a message "Failed to open mission file" on the status bar. I can open the missions normally, so DromEd is set up okay, it seems to be just saved game .mis files.

Don't open the save game missions, just open up one of the level .mis files.

You just need something to go into Game Mode with, and one of the shipping .mis files is the easiest way.

Do you even need to open a .mis file? Couldn't you just open ShockED, go straight to game mode and load the saved game?

Enchantermon
    TNTís Lair

Probably, but I use a mis file as I know it'll work and everything is set up right.

Loading a mis file first is purely optional, simply alt+g then esc does work fine.

The save game mis files will not load as they are essentially patches, one of the reasons why old save games will usually not work properly with altered versions of the 'main' mis files and may behave as if they have not been altered at all.

While we're on the subject.....
    Why does SS2 save games like that? Does it have to do with the level states staying the same (for example, if you drop a grenade launcher on Hydro, it will still be there six hours later, no matter how many level transition you make)?

Enchantermon
    TNTís Lair

Yes. I've seen a few games which allow travel back and forth between maps doing stuff like that.

I remember once starting a new game of Strife, and when I went to the prison, the objectives had been completed and all enemies wiped out. It had loaded a map autosave from a previous playthrough. The game must be programmed to load an existing map autosave from that save slot if it finds one, rather than create a new one, even if you haven't been to that map in that game session yet.

Similarly, you can run into problems in Deus Ex, if you overwrite old saves, instead of deleting them.
    Last edited by Drat; 23rd Jan 2006 at 22:46.

SS1 does it the same way, for that matter. An SS1 save file consists in large part of, essentially, a copy of ARCHIVE.DAT modified to reflect the changes you've made in the game world.
    The map format looks like it maps very closely (exactly?) to the structures used in memory, so it makes a lot of sense to do it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFrog
    SS1 does it the same way, for that matter. An SS1 save file consists in large part of, essentially, a copy of ARCHIVE.DAT modified to reflect the changes you've made in the game world.
    Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drat
    I remember once starting a new game of Strife, and when I went to the prison, the objectives had been completed and all enemies wiped out. It had loaded a map autosave from a previous playthrough. The game must be programmed to load an existing map autosave from that save slot if it finds one, rather than create a new one, even if you haven't been to that map in that game session yet.
    This reminds me of a problem I encountered in SS2 once. I started a new game, and suddenly realized that not only were all the objectives complete, but every single enemy was frozen. They were all in their orginal ShockED positions (standing straight, arms out) and I could walk right through them. They made no noises and couldn't see me. I could only get to Medical and Engineering because the elevator was broken, even though it should have been in working order, due to the fact that all of the objectives on Engineering were also complete, and there was a Rumbler and a Cyborg Assassin on the bottom floor of the Engine Core! Quite odd.

Enchantermon
    TNTís Lair

I know this thread is over a year and a half old, but I want to do the same thing (remove undead cheat). But the problem is, I can't get ShockEd to work properly. When I want to go into game mode (alt+g) from it, I'm met with that "Direct 3D Device does not accurately report texture memory usage" error. The game works fine, when run from shock2.exe with the "safe_texture_manager" but it doesn't seem to affect ShockEd.

So does anyone a workaround for this or is there a way to edit savegames directly (hex editing) or editing memory locations while the game is running to remove the god mode?

Try adding the safe_texture_manager line to cam.cfg

And before you begin hexediting savegame files you might want to know that there's a secret way to get around the godmode problem:
    Start a new game and stop cheating.

Safe_texture_Manager doesn't work with ShockEd. It's a pain the arse, but it doesn't.

In order to go into game mode you need to go to the game menu and select game mode settings. Set the dims to 800 600 and remove the hardware, directX and fullscreen flags and replace them with windowed only. The game will then play in windowed mode. You'll need to reset the settings afterwards though, otherwise the main game will try to play in windowed mode as well, so it may be easier to backup cam.cfg first, then restore afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera View Post
    Safe_texture_Manager doesn't work with ShockEd. It's a pain the arse, but it doesn't.

In order to go into game mode you need to go to the game menu and select game mode settings. Set the dims to 800 600 and remove the hardware, directX and fullscreen flags and replace them with windowed only. The game will then play in windowed mode. You'll need to reset the settings afterwards though, otherwise the main game will try to play in windowed mode as well, so it may be easier to backup cam.cfg first, then restore afterwards.
    Thanks, it worked perfectly