TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista & Windows 7 issues & the FAQ

jtr7

Vista & Windows 7 issues & the FAQ

Hey taffers and techies and techie taffers!

We're working on an updated Thief FAQ and in addition to this thread-- http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125447 --I would like to ask for input on any issues that have cropped up with Vista and Windows 7. We've also started updating the the future and present tenses in the language of the FAQ that are now old and in the past. sNeaksieGarrett's doing the bulk of the work, and I don't have Vista/Windows 7 to reference my own experiences.

We know about running the games as Administrator, and that DDFix still works its magic, and that sometimes running in compatibility mode helps.

We know about the registry fix needed for T3's savegames.

We know a lot of people have claimed to need no fixes at all, but hopefully they can chime in, too, having helped others.

Are there any fog issues that have been pretty much solved for V/W7, even as we hold out for solutions that haven't yet come? And of course, we need the newest graphics card driver issues and fixes, too.

Does the EAX fix still work for V/W7?

Do any links need reviving, replacing, or additional hosts/mirrors provided?

Any Vista & Windows 7 solutions for problems specific to them need to be compiled and sorted in one list for the FAQ, even if they aren't really frequently asked. Everything that is nailed down should be added.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Looks like this thread isn't getting any attention. Perhaps it is better suited in the tech forum?

jtr7
    I'm wondering what's wrong. Why aren't those who've dealt with it personally and helped others responding, especially if they've wanted the FAQ updated, too?

I had thought of having two threads, even if one only linked to the other.

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier! Here's what I have to add for Vista:

Creative ALchemy fixes any EAX related problems involving Creative sound devices. In fact, EAX can't be enabled under Vista without ALchemy being installed. Sorry I'm not aware of the Sensaura fix.

A strange problem did occur to me involving Thief 2 videos after my last installation. I had the videos running perfectly on Vista, but after reinstall they don't even open in mplayer. The Indeo codec from both Thief 1 and 2 CD, or any of the internet links provided in the FAQ doesn't seem to affect anything. I believe its a Vista issue and am currently trying to solve the problem. Will post a solution when I find it.

As for the FOG, I have the "one time exit, fog gone" issue - a lot of people are experiencing it and still no solution. But 2 Vista reinstalls back I had the fog working perfectly with the same PC setup, which means there is a solution. Although I'm taking a brake from FOG research, I will revert some old drivers and check some tweakers. I will find a cure, but I believe someone else will find it before me.

All the other issues I am aware of are true for both Vista and XP, so they are not Vista specific. Still the FAQ needs some basic solutions included. I've added something to the other thread.

jtr7
    Thanks Dan!

I missed this too and I'm sorry I can't really help either jtr - all I did to get Thief 2 going on a laptop with Vista was copy and paste my XP Thief 2 folder. It works perfectly though I didn't play further than the opening scene and I did only use it for testing fms and I have no idea whether fog works on it or not.

Also I lost the movies somewhere along the line so didn't copy those over and I don't know whether they're working or not.

jtr7
    No worries, Nic'!

Interesting! I would probably have done that, too, if I had a new system.

Hey all... for those who remember me and even noticed my absence I am back finally situated comfortably in my dorm room. I had some free time (I.E. stopped paying attention in my Orgo Chem lecture) and I can respond!!

Anyways, after tinkering around a bit I managed to get Thief II working at 1440 x 900 resolution on Windows 7 dual booted on a macbook pro without doing anything beyond easy-to-do things. It is running flawlessly and I will be testing out the multiplayer with my brother hopefully in a few days. (He is ridiculously younger than me and trying to tell him how to type in IP numbers etc. gets sort of tiring especially over the phone)

I have yet to figure out my issues with Deadly Shadows but I think I might have found the issue with the sound files installing improperly because of windows 7 failure to know how to do things correctly and if I figure that problem out I'll post it here. For the meantime, I'm happy with II working with multiplayer and widescreen and my caring level for DS isn't very high anyway.

Oh's, and as a side note I can't wait for left 4 dead 2.

Sorry for double post, but videos in Thief II are still frustrating me and seem to refuse to work in any way shape or form. Fail videos are fail.

Videos/Thief2/Windows7: Install the Indeo codecs from the FAQ thread (pinned), and run as Administrator to get videos. (specifically, this link)

Thief3/Windows7: Works out of the box for me, though to get saves working right I had to tweak the location of save files in the registry... I'm pretty sure this fix is in the FAQ.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by mudi View Post
    Videos/Thief2/Windows7: Install the Indeo codecs from the FAQ thread (pinned), and run as Administrator to get videos. (specifically, this link)
    you need to register the indoe codec dll aswell, instructions for which are in the FAQ.

I've been deprived of my desktop (XP, bought in 2006) and Thief fan missions for three months now. Yikes!

Anyway, I'm in the market for a spiffy laptop that would run Windows 7 and Vista, most likely. From what I can tell here, I can move all my Thief stuff over to laptop and I'll be fine right? And I should be able to plug in a mouse and my speakers and headphones too, right?

Yes, I'm that dumb when it comes to computers.

jtr7
    It's possible. Some have claimed zero problems, and others have had a heck of a time.

I've a new bells and whistles lap top courtesy of the OU, running Vista home premium.
    I loaded Thief 2, applied the DDFix patch, ran as administrator in XP compatibility and all works fine.
    (Not looked for fog yet as I've only been messing about with a fan campaign)

My only problem was Darkloader which stopped seeing FMs after I moved its location.
    (I cleaned the registry and the .ini files so I don't know?)
    But I stuck in Garretloader and all's fine and dandy

ALL RIGHT!!!
    Got the videos working with vista by registering, but a completely different file from the one mentioned in the FAQ. Instead of finding all sorts of paths to register the LGVID.AX, just install the codec and type "regsvr32 ir50_32.dll", nothing else. It should acknowledge that the job is done and then with no restarts check if the videos are working. Reliance, you could try this, but I stress that it worked for me and don't know if it will for you until you try it. I don't know which Indeo codec it works with, since I installed all I could find, but you should try the one in the CD.

Additionally I test drive Thief 2 on my father's laptop running on vista and it ran normally with videos. I just can't put my finger on what is causing the videos to refuse.

Will focus on fixing the FOG now.

All 3 Thief games are running fine for me on a Vista 32 Home premium lappy. The only issue I have is some lag when acessing the menu/map/objectives while ingame. It looks like it is miimizing to the desktop and then quickly maximising, I can see the desktop and any open windows, etc and they look like they are at the same res as Thief. It isnt a major problem, just disruptive to immersion and kind of annoying having to wait 4-5 seconds to get to the menu/map

If you install ddfix, it won't switch resolution all the time, which should stop that particular annoyance.

A little off topic but can you update vista ultimate with sp2 installed to windows 7 without having to lose everything on the hard drive? I am talking for the full win7 software not the update option sold with half the price.

Should work as long as you are trying to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Any other edition of Windows 7 will probably refuse to update.

Thanks for the reply.
    Is there anyone that actually have updated vista ultimate sp2 to win 7 ultimate. It is the first time I planning to try it and I need some advice.

I don't personally know anybody who has done it, but it should upgrade fine. I read around the net that people have upgraded their Vista Business to 7 Ultimate with all the data in tact.

I personally, would not upgrade any windows (do a clean install instead), as it leaves a ton of junk data from the old installation.

I am running Win7 Ultimate 64bit - no problems for TG/T2 But TDS...

I have a clean install duel-boot, and TG/T2 work great with the indeo codec and the all the normal things being done, dare I mention the nocd hacks as well. I did need to perform the multi core fix (imagecfg) and it worked fine.

I am not using the ddfix I don't think

But, since I simply am not willing to have to insert a cd/dvd everytime I want/have to play, the T-DS nocd does not work for me, thus I must go to Win XP to play that (

Anyone get that bit 'unmentionable' hack working for/in W7??

Hi, I'm playing a clean install of retail Thief3+1.1 successfully on a clean install of Windows 7 (you can do a win7 clean install with the upgrade media easily:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp
    ). Radeon 4870 + creative x-fi xtremegamer card.

Kaleid's cpu affinity command for the shortcut works well:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 T3.exe

The install put the savegames in a 'public documents' folder, and I had no need to edit the registry. I just copied over my xp savegames.

Turning vsync on solved the lockpicking/ladder issue.

The game does minimize between level changes, is there a fix for that?

I have a creative x-fi card with the full suite of apps, alchemy, & latest openal installed, but enabling Hardware Audio Mixing kills all sounds in the game, and the EAX options are grey'd out. No big deal, but is there a fix for this, or some soundcard setting?

rms

I'd also like to see a discussion of administrator rights in relation to the game. I'm running this computer with a single user with admin rights.

rms

Quote Originally Posted by rms View Post
    I have a creative x-fi card with the full suite of apps, alchemy, & latest openal installed, but enabling Hardware Audio Mixing kills all sounds in the game, and the EAX options are grey'd out. No big deal, but is there a fix for this, or some soundcard setting?
    Have you added Thief 3 to ALchemy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Have you added Thief 3 to ALchemy?
    Thanks, I didn't know this was needed! But still no joy. TDS shows up in the Alchemy games list, and I moved it to the supported games side, but TDS still loses all sounds when Hardware Audio is checked, & the eax boxes are still greyed out. Hum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast