TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Top Games Ever For Various Categories

Wasn't there a couple of Dark Forces mods for various games?

Someone needs to do a complete one for Doom. ZDoom could easily handle it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I couldn't believe Hollow Knight was not on the list, but then I saw it was written by John Walker. What a hack. I can't really take much of what he says seriously anymore.

Dead Cells as well. It may not follow the traditional Metroidvania formula, but I'd certainly put it in there.

Well, the comments section contains a big debate on why Hollow Knight should or should not be included. Basically it boils down to John not liking it in his review.

Dead Cells is at least a justified exclusion on the intro page.
    Last edited by Zerker; 1st Jan 2018 at 12:12.

"So no, Dark Souls and its compatriots are not in here, and nor is Batman and his Arkham adventures. You disagree? You’re welcome to. Although by far the most controversial non-inclusion inside the RPS Treehouse is Dead Cells. Some passionately argue it’s a Metroidvania, others – correctly – point out that it’s a roguelite platformer, with a growing skillset. There were tears."

Hmm. Rogue-lite, sure. Though you gain items that allow access to new areas + the map style. That's where I find it to be Metroidvania-ery. But it's all perspective.

The Best Space Games on PC added. I'll admit that I've not played the majority of these. Mass Effect, Wing Commander, Freelancer and Tie Fighter sure.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah, good list, I guess? Honestly I'm not big on space combat so I don't care about most of this stuff stuff, save for FTL, Elite, and Mass Effect. My personal list would include Lunar Flight as well, tho perhaps it doesn't count as it's set on the moon rather than in space.

Is Rebel Galaxy really that good? I have it on PS+, but never tried it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Since it correctly places Freespace 2 where it should be, I'll grudgingly admit it has some of its priorities straight. Still, I can't see how Mass Effect works in that list unless it's also taking into account inner space, personal space, and a lack of space in general.

I'd say that their defining it as games that take part in space for a considerable portion.

Chakat sex pillow
    Heh. If they'd said ME1, I'd say all right, kinda makes sense - it's at least a third about exploring space. ME2, though? It's literally guns and conversation, with the idea of space barely getting a look-in beyond grinding out probes and pointing at the galaxy map. That laser focus on action and repartee results in space being treated as a convenient backdrop, which means it's an odd inclusion here. You could just as well add Xenosaga*, SS2, Dead Space, and Alien: Isolation to the list if space doesn't actually matter that much.

*On a list on a site other than RPS, at any rate.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 2nd Feb 2018 at 03:45.

Top 10 Immersive First Person Games added. This ones a good one .

For once a top 10 list where I've played nearly all of them at least once. I've yet to play Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I've yet to play Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    Yeah, okay, that's very nearly almost a crime if you're into ImSims or RPGs. Hand in your membership badge at the door.

You're just jelly that there's someone out there who still has some of the good stuff left to try for the first time.

Chakat sex pillow
    All right, I will admit that if it were possible for me to completely forget my first Malkavian playthrough just so I could experience it again for the first time, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Choices matter.

Well that's the good side to having a back log. I didn't get around to playing Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge until 8 years after it's release, largely due to World of Warcraft and other games. And oh boy was that fun when I finally got around to it.

So for Vampire I've got installed. The time will come .

Happy with the order of the games in the list? I think they got it right.

Vampire Bloodlines is great but I'd put it in a nebulous "Deus Ex-alike" RPG subgenre alongside stuff like Alpha Protocol or New Vegas rather than calling it an imsim. Unless there are ways to combine systems to solve problems in unpredictable ways that I don't remember. And while Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are great, I don't remember finding solutions to any obstacles that weren't clearly intentionally placed there by the designers. At some point if you go down that route you could start calling Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books imsims. Or Mass Effect

If a game ticks enough boxes, I don't see a problem there. What VTMB lacks in emergent gameplay and simulation, it makes up for with its commitment to immersion and open-ended gameplay.

Own 8 of that emergent top 10, and have played/completed 6 of them. Whatever genre they belong to, I would certainly not hesitate to group them together.

This one was too good to not mention.

Level 10,000 achieved
    No "The Dark Mod"? Boo!

Well it's more full fan made games. Though yes there's 1 mod in there, which is cheating a bit.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314