TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Prey (2017) - Arkane Austin

We should have a dedicated Arkane section, though. Turn the Arx Fatalis board into an Arkane board - it's not like it gets any action otherwise.

That's not a bad idea.

If it'd go anywhere, IMO it'd be under "Gaming" / "Arkane Games".

More Prey? YES PLEASE.

Though how could they story wise continue it on?

More Arkane anything please.

Southquarter.com/fms
    With that quick shot of the moon, I couldn't help but think of Routine.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    I don't remember it, but apparently there's some reference in Prey from a shuttle report that mentions a 2nd base on the moon.

Edit: Saw this on PC Gamer:

As sharp-minded Prey players may recall, there's actually a reference in the game to a Pytheas facility that "sits deep in a crater on the Lunar pole, permanently shadowed and surrounded by kilometers of ice." Sounds like the perfect place to set a creepy expansion.
    Last edited by Brethren; 4th Mar 2018 at 02:22.

There's a new Twitter account called KasmaCorp followed and retweeted by Arkane employees. I've played the game a long time ago so I don't remember it but according to Prey wiki "Kasma is a TranStar rival and does everything to get the upper hand over TranStar even resorting to industrial espionage." Plus, some Reddit stuff.

Maybe it'll be set during the events of the main game, with a new protagonist.

But isn't the entire game essentially you being in a "matrix-like" virtual world, that the aliens put you in to see which path you'd pick (as they'd already won the war long ago) ? That's the impression I got from the ending. I can't see how there could be an "after" following that. Mankind was extinct, besides yourself as the sole survivor.
    Last edited by icemann; 4th Mar 2018 at 10:32.

Why does it have to be an “after”?

True I guess. Could always be another person placed into it.

But isn't the entire game essentially you being in a "matrix-like" virtual world, that the aliens put you in to see which path you'd pick (as they'd already won the war long ago) ? That's the impression I got from the ending. I can't see how there could be an "after" following that. Mankind was extinct, besides yourself as the sole survivor.
    spoiler:
    It wasn't aliens. I might be slightly wrong about this because I haven't played it in a while but from what I rememeber people (with Alex leading the project) wanted to create a Mimic ally to help them reclaim Earth. So they've put you in a virtual world based on Morgan's memories to determine whether you'd be willing to help humans. So you're not a sole survivor. In fact, you're not a human at all.

Either way, it can be a different character but during the real, non-virtual reality events of the main game.

And I just went and rewatched the endings via youtube and I was completely wrong. Humanity isn't extinct, and what I remembered as aliens creating the simulation wasn't right at all. Alex created it, and the things talking to you at the end were robots + Alex, and it talks about using the mimic's to retake Earth as mentioned.

So after watching that, things could keep going. So you were a human/mimic hybrid, created by Alex to fight for Earth, and the simulation was to test which way you'd go. Interesting. In my defense I only watched the ending the one time and it was 6am in the morning at the time.

And the expansion got a mention over on RPS.

In this picture one person is holding a calendar with some June date marked and there's 06.10.18 on the whiteboard. People say it'll release on June 10th but 06.10.18 would be October 6th unless their dates work differently for some reason.

Chakat sex pillow
    They use dd/mm/yy in France, like most rational people do.

Rational people know that date orders are so often confused that they use three-letter months and four-digit years. If you must use digits only, yyyy-mm-dd is the only non-ambiguous one.

Welcome to Canada, where we end up coming into contact with every date format imaginable.

Chakat sex pillow
    True enough. I just go with dd-mmm-yy for all dates thanks to Excel confusing the shit out of me on the various different PCs I use with different locational settings.

I think we can safely say 10th of June's when the Bethesda conference is, and the 10.06.2018 date up there is either a coincidental DLC release date, or just someone transcribing it in US date notation (possibly Harvey, the rapscallion).
    Last edited by Sulphur; 17th Mar 2018 at 09:42. Reason: derp herp indeed

Wasn't Prey made at the Austin studio while Lyons was working on DH2? I'm also pretty sure I read somewhere that June 10th is the day of Bethesda's E3 presentation.

Edit: Herp derp.

And this is the reason I always write out the month in words when translating documents, especially legal ones. Unless it has been specified otherwise, of course.

Heads up, because nobody's talking about it. Prey got an update that includes the long-awaited Survival Mode. It's basically a set of gameplay modifiers that can be applied when starting a new game. Those include:

- Weapon Degradation (yay)
    - Oxygen leaking from a damaged suit
    - New Traumas

Time to finally replay this game!

In addition, the DLC is out and it's called Mooncrash. If you expected a standard mission pack, you're in for a surprise and/or disappointment. Mooncrash is a rogue-lite experience with random loot, enemies, objectives and hazards. You play as one of the five characters, each with their own skills, strenghts and weaknesses (you unlock them along the way). It also has permadeath. The entire thing is based around
    spoiler:
    the simulation that you go in and out of
    to gather Sim Points and complete objectives to fulfil your contract.

I've only finished one run so I can't say much about it yet.

Anyone else playing it?

I think most of those "modifiers" were already in the game, and a mod exposed them. I enabled the additional traumas in my first playthroughs.

For anyone interested, there's also a nice lighting mod out there now:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ting-overhaul/
    https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/22

As far as Mooncrash: The trailer and description fails to hook me, but I'll probably play it eventually.

I picked up Mooncrash, I'm not so hot on rogue-likes, but I really enjoyed Prey so I wanted to see more. It's an interesting interpretation of the rogue-like where you have to run through the same map (up to) 5 times, once with each character, so you have to decide what to grab and what to leave behind for the next run and making use of skills one character has to unlock things for another. One of the escape routes requires repairing a machine, hacking a computer, then using a character with high typhon levels, something that requires three runs to achieve, and since the difficulty rises the longer you spend in the simulation (carrying over to the next run) it gets pretty tense.

I found it pretty frustrating to begin with, but I guess that's pretty common for rogue-likes, but after you've raked up enough points to splurge on neuromods for all of the characters then it quickly becomes very easy. I think I completed it in about 5-6 hours and aside from a few achievements I missed, I'm not really feeling the need to go back.

:edit:

Tried out that lighting mod. Looks like there might be some issues with it since the patch/DLC release. Currently it looks like the mod needs an update before it'll work properly.
    Last edited by driver; 14th Jun 2018 at 12:52.

Really glad to finally have NG+. Started a NG+ Nightmare run in survival mode and it is a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Really glad to finally have NG+. Started a NG+ Nightmare run in survival mode and it is a beautiful thing.
    Yes! ^_^

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast