TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: "Into the Breach" by Subset Games (of FTL fame) is out!

"Into the Breach" by Subset Games (of FTL fame) is out!

Looks interesting, although I can't imagine how I'll find much time to play it for a bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/

EDIT: They're offering FTL for free if you buy the new game on their website: http://www.subsetgames.com ...I kind of wonder how many people are really interested in this that didn't play FTL?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yay!

And it's also a couple bucks cheaper on Humble than on Steam. GAME GOT

If anyone wants my spare FTL Steam key, gimme a holla.

Will give this a go later today.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh boy, I made it to like level 3 on the first try, but I did learn a lot. Will try a few more times on Normal before I resign to Easy.

Im liking it, but yeh its hard, you have to think like chess, at least 3moves ahead.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ok, things went better on my second game. Secured 2 islands and headed for the Final Battle, where I died so fast. My first game was ~35min, my second around an hour and a half.

Learning a lot, having a lot of moments where I'm like "WHAT THE-- HOW THE F-- WHY oh wait I see, ok yeah, that makes sense. Dammit."

Heh. I went straight for easy. These guys have a rep... I find a lot of the mechanics are a bit obfuscated, sort of like Invisible Inc.. What's really going to happen takes some trial and error to figure out. I genuinely thought mech upgrades with two+ "energy" ovals were upgrades I could take two+ times, but they're actually upgrades that COST 2+ energy cores to power. Then there's the missiles that wreck everything next to them when they launch... Guess I should've collected that time capsule a turn or two ago...

EDIT: Okay, so is there any way to get your mech to walk around ACID instead of through it? It seems like you can only set a destination.
    EDIT 2: Nevermind, apparently it only takes effect if you end your turn there, like fire. Another "obfuscated mechanic"...
    Last edited by Pyrian; 28th Feb 2018 at 15:34.

Kill-based individual XP should not be a thing. Especially when knocking an enemy into another enemy counts as a personal kill but positioning an enemy to shoot another enemy while buffing its shot does not. Support mech pilots are very difficult to skill up, so you end up placing them in killy mechs just so they can get better at their support role, which is retarded.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I agree about obfuscated mechanics. Mainly I have a hard time telling in what order the enemies are going to attack, which means I end up with situations like "If this unit attacks first he'll kill the other unit and save my dudes, but if that unit attacks first I'm fucked. Guess I'll just have to press the end turn button and see what happens!"

Hover your mouse over the "attack order" icon and it'll tell you

Yeah. I was on my third game before I figured that out. It's really really important if you're playing the Steel Judoka!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah, I guessed I was missing something.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Im liking it, but yeh its hard, you have to think like chess, at least 3moves ahead.
    Your mum thinks 3 moves ahead

At least three moves ahead... But also at most three moves ahead, given that most missions are only 4 turns.

ah but I said moves not turns

Oh, yeah, gotta plan out your turn before you start moving guys around, that's for sure.

Man, I just had a crazy moment. I somehow completely missed the presence of an Alpha Hornet which was locked onto a tile with two buildings and an objective building! I did my turn, knocking out everything else, thinking this has been too easy... And then I end my turn and the danged thing attacks! Yet somehow my 17% defense grid blocked both hits. I'm like aaaaa ahhh aaaa ahhhh aaaa yikes.

EDIT: Hmm. I'll bet it must be one roll for the whole attack.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 3rd Mar 2018 at 02:35.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Switched down to Easy mode, did all 4 islands and breezed through the final mission. Into The Breach more like Into The Breeze! Only hairy moment was on the penultimate mission on the 4th island, everything went to hell and my grid power was down to 1. Luckily I pulled through and could buy enough power to get back to max before the finale.

I found Easy to be a bit too breezy with the Rift Walkers on my very first playthrough. I've been playing on Normal since, but some of the teams are hard to get started. I'm struggling with the Flame Behemoths. Do the designers realize that unstackable Damage Over Time is fundamentally worse than just dealing about the same amount of damage instantaneously? In many cases a LOT worse - particularly Psions (which also can't be drowned).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just beat the game on Normal. Was down to 1 Grid Power and 2 mechs by the end.

Also the strategy boffins at Three Moves Ahead did a really good episode on this game: https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/into-the-breach

I've always found the end mission kind of anti-climactic. You've got all these environmental hazards, and they're highly useful, so it's generally not as difficult as normal missions.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah compared to FTL's finale it's certainly very muted.

I kind of hate Pinnacle, though. So, I'm being attacked by the usual amount of Vek, plus robots, and you want me to save those robots?

Still Subjective
    Shame it's not on Mac ATM.

If you ever go for the achievement for winning with three of the same mech... Make sure you edit the colors so they don't all look identical. I didn't, and now they're all equipped differently and I'm constantly confused.

I'm actually going for both the 3-of-a-kind and the 3-flying-mech achievements at once by taking 3 of the Jet Mech. I thought it was going to be super challenging because it only does one damage and can't push or pull anything. But in the first island I picked up the Janus (fire two ways) Cannon and the grappling hook, and, wow... Those weapons are a LOT better on a flying mech than they are on their original mechs.