TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Point

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    There's an 8min boss fight video with Gollops commentary:
    Hah! Klesk and Sarge pain barks from Quake 3!

The boss battle doesn't look half bad. If there's a nice variety of these, it could carry the game by itself.

Heavily influenced is an understatement here, it's literally the same but with crappy animations. Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped for that as all hell. I'm just surprised that they didn't even try to make it any different from XCOM.

Moderator and Priest
    It's still an alpha, not due out for another couple of years at least. I expect the animations and things are in a rough state at the moment.

I expect the end result, if they're able to implement all their planned features, will be fairly similar to XCOM in a lot of respects, but far from being an outright clone.

verbose douchebag
    Heavily influenced is an understatement here, it's literally the same but with crappy animations. Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped for that as all hell. I'm just surprised that they didn't even try to make it any different from XCOM.
    They've literally rushed this demo out to generate hype for the remainder of the Fig campaign. Most of the assets are placeholder and it makes sense to copy an existing system which works well for the purposes of getting it up and running for showcasing the combat. This game isn't due for another 18 months - don't judge it by its first pass demo.

Here's a new demo. And yup, for those wondering, it's still identical to Firaxis' XCOM. I mean it's cool and all but come on, they could have at least come up with their own interface. Also, still waiting for the presentation of the strategic layer.

Moderator and Priest
    I don't care how close it hews to XCOM. More XCOM is more good.

Plus, there are a couple of subtle differences here and there, so it's not, like, EXACTLY the same.

Considering how few XCOM-like games there are out there, I'm happy for more XCOM. That's what I was expecting when I backed it.

Still suspending my judgment, but I certainly hope it will be much more than a XCOM clone. Let Firaxis and modders do those.

And to be technical, X-COM itself is a laser Squad clone with more added in, just as Phoenix Point is a X-COM clone with more added in.

Similar to Doom with Wolfenstein 3D.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Feb 2018 at 05:28.

Er, XCOM is an iteration of X-COM, which was an iteration of Laser Squad. When I talked about XCOM clones, I meant the Firaxis reboot of X-COM.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Er, XCOM is an iteration of X-COM, which was an iteration of Laser Squad
    ...which was an iteration of Rebel Star

It just feels uninspired. It goes beyond being influenced by XCOM, it's blatantly copying it, again, down to the interface and camera work. They're not even trying to differentiate it. I guess I expected something more unique from the creator of the original, rather than just doing exactly what Firaxis did so recently. So far it looks like a mod, it's not different enough and I personally don't think it's a good thing that you have to try really hard to spot the differences between this and XCOM2. It should be its own thing... and maybe it is but so far it doesn't look like it. That's what I think.

Well not everyone's going to be happy.

I see it as, if John Romero announced a Kickstarter (and he actually did a year or so ago). I'd be thinking "Hey cool. I hope it's an FPS". Sure Daikitana was meh, but he's got a great track record beyond that. That or more Commander Keen, both work.

It's not that XCOM clone would be a bad thing, necessarily. Don't get me wrong, if I'll get a XCOM clone from this and it's a good game, I certainly won't be unhappy. It's just that I expect more.

For me I'm completely fine with it being X-COM / XCOM influenced, as long as their is some big improvements like a more dynamic research tech tree with will differ on every play through. Side with / Assist faction A and get access to tech X that allows research into Y etc etc.

If you take the Firaxis reboot for example, that introduced classes and upgrade trees that changed things up quite a bit.

verbose douchebag
    The below video gives a better idea of the differences. Either way, I'd say that Firaxis nailed so much in updating the TBS UI language, that it would be ill-advised to spend too much energy doing certain things differently for the sake of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch
    Last edited by faetal; 25th Feb 2018 at 07:40.

I'm late with this reply but I assume you meant this video?

Gotta say, while I still definitely think it's too similiar to Firaxis' XCOM, I like the changes, like moving one-tile at the time or how the cover works. Hopefully this little crack separating XCOM and PP will keep growing as they reveal more of the game.

That looks great. Have there been any videos of the strategic layer? That was the part I found mostly disappointing in XCOM.

verbose douchebag
    I'm late with this reply but I assume you meant this video?
    That's the one. Seems my link got mangled.
    I think it is similar to XCOM where it should be - in the general UI. Other genres have also settled into a standard UI format - it's a good thing which means that you don't need to spend time learning each new game from scratch - leaving you to jump straight in and enjoy the parts which make it unique. Also, trying to do things differently each time just to be different means you are less likely to get it right as often. Solomon's XCOM UI is great - it would be a waste to toss it just for the sake of being different. From what I see, it'll be different where it counts - in the gameplay.

Jason - from the interviews I've read, the strategic layer is planned as being more like a 4x game than new XCOM.

Gameplay video released to backers.

I do like the granular movement and obstacles in the line of sight interfering with shooting. Could use some free aim, though.

verbose douchebag
    I'm playing the backer build of this. It's really good and it feels significantly different to Firaxis XCOM, despite making use of some of the same UI cues.
    It's just the scripted level from the videos, plus a randomly generated level, all with the same 4 soldiers.
    So far, so very good. Can't wait to see how it develops. The backer build is meant to be updated every 2 months, so I'll report in with updates.

I'm in two minds on playing it (as I got that email as well). On one hand I'd love to see how it plays. On the other I'd love to save the surprise for later.

This is quite like when Satelite Reign was in development. They'd release backer builds every now and then, and they had a playable version up at PAX a year or so into development. At PAX I even went over and spoke with the devs and viewed the game, and they were like "hey have a play" and I was like "nah I want to save the experience for when it's 100% done". Little did I know that even the "finished" version had some bugs in there that even now aren't fixed.

What's peoples experiences with backer builds? Avoid them, to save the experience for later? Or prefer to jump in and see how things are?

I've only done that with a couple of KS games so far (Dex, Scorn, System Shock Reboot/Remake/whatever it is now).

I like the change in how accuracy and damage is shown now. Much better than cheating on the numbers to match up with people's perception of how probability should work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast