TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Unlock a door without opening it TUTORIAL

Unlock a door without opening it TUTORIAL

I have a remote switch that unlocks a door but it also opens it. If I close the door it relocks. How can I set the switch to permanently unlock the door but leave it closed so I can open and close it later without it relocking?
    Last edited by Fidcal; 12th Feb 2004 at 02:45.

Even using a FnordLock setup, the door still opens. How about a conversation that triggers a FnordLock system, then frobs the door back closed almost instantly, then destroys the system to keep it from relocking?

NonAutoDoor. It's a script.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Exactly. I used this to lock all the lift gates in Eastwater Bank if you need a concrete reference, but just adding that script to the door should do the trick. If I'm not mistaken, it also makes it so doors don't open automatically when unlocked via a key or lockpicks.

I'm gonna add that script to the whole Spinny_Door archetype, reducing frustration in the case of doors that open towards the player.

Mmmm... can't get NonAutoDoor to work. Seems to have no effect. The door still opened. Have I understood correctly? I just add it as a script. I removed the stddoor script. Should I have left it and just added the NonAutoDoor? The remote switch is simply CD linked. It still both unlocks and opens the door. Actually I think it only opens it. The door is still technically locked. If I close it then I can't open it again as it relocks.

I tested it using a key to unlock/lock it, and it seems that you have to
    replace StdDoor with NonAutoDoor, and leave LockSounds in place (if you want locking/unlocking to produce the usual sounds). Then check Don't Inherit (because you don't want the door in inherit StdDoor from the archetype).

If you're using fnord locks you need to use a 'lock' link, but as is Dromeds backwards thinking way, I think you link the door to the fnord lock
    A CD link will simply open/close it.

Thanks R Soul. Just been checking around and testing and got it to work on another door with a normal lock. Then I did a search and found another thread - think it was one of yours, and as you say, I seem to have used the wrong link type. I'll change it and test again.

Now I'm sure how to set it up:
    Door ----(Lock)----> FnordLock
    Switch ----(CD)----> FnordLock

Don't use the Engine Features > Locked property, the FnordLock will be all you need. You'll need to send an initial TurnOn message to the FnordLock if you want the door to start off locked. (Assuming the switch is a lever) Set the JointsState: AnimS property to On.

Unlock a door without opening it TUTORIAL

Got this working now great now. Thanks everyone. I had got the door locked instead of the lock locked!

Just to spell it out as a parrot-fashion tutorial for anyone coming up behind (probably me in six months when I've forgotten this!).....

To stop a door opening automatically when you unlock it...

ORDINARY LOCKED DOOR:

Create the locked door in the normal way.

Add to the door's properties the script NonAutoDoor (not case sensitive) thus...

Properties > Add > S > Scripts
    Delete StdDoor and type NonAutoDoor in its place and check 'don't inherit' so it reads:
    Script 0 : Non AutoDoor
    Script 1 : LockSounds
    Script 2 : [blank]
    Script 3 : [blank]
    Don't inherit : checked

DOOR UNLOCKED BY REMOTE ON/OFF SWITCH (like lever):

This switch can be used to unlock/relock the door at will.

Create lever or button that has on/off positions
    Create fnordLock (object hierarchy > fnord > trapTrig > fnordLock)
    Add to fnordLock's properties: Engine Features > Locked > [check]
    Add NonAutoDoor script as for ordinary locked door (above). Don't lock the door itself.

Link door TO fnordLock using a lock flavor
    Link lever to fnordLock using control device flavor
    Add to lever's properties : Tweq > JointsState > AnimS > on

If you don't do that last one then the lever will be OFF start with but the door will be locked so the first push of the lever will just try to lock the already locked door and the player will have to push the lever again to unlock the door.

DOOR UNLOCKED BY REMOTE ONE PUSH SWITCH (like elevator button)

This is for switches that don't have an on and off but are just one trigger like an elevator button. It will just unlock the door but won't relock it. (probably two switches would do this, one without the invertor)

Create button.
    Create fnordLock (object hierarchy > fnord > trapTrig > fnordLock)
    Add to fnordLock's properties: Engine Features > Locked > [check]
    Create invertor (object hierarchy > fnord > trapTrig > invertor)
    Add to door's properties NonAutoDoor script as for ordinary locked door (above).
    DON'T LOCK THE DOOR ITSELF

Link door to lock using a LOCK flavor
    Link invertor to fnordLock using control device flavor
    Link button to invertor using control device flavor

BTW am I right in thinking that sometimes the engine features > locked property magically changes into tweq > lockstate in the properties list? So it's just a shortcut for the same thing with more features?
    Last edited by Fidcal; 15th Feb 2004 at 05:27.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I believe (and may be wrong) that setting the Engine Features > Locked to TRUE on a door will automatically set the Tweq > LockState so that the door's handle rotates to the locked position. The problem is, if you later uncheck locked, the handle is still in the locked position. This is why you sometimes come across doors in FM's that appear locked (handle parallel to ground) but are actually unlocked.

My God, Yandros! All these years and I've never noticed handles show turned if a door is locked! I mean, I notice when picking a lock that the handle turns but I never took any further notice. I think I just thought the door was opening and the handle would spring back or something.

There was an error in the DOOR UNLOCKED BY REMOTE ONE PUSH SWITCH part of my tut above which I have now edited correctly.

I did have...

Link door to INVERTOR using a lock flavor

That was wrong and SHOULD be...

Link door to LOCK using a lock flavor

The rest of it is OK.