TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Heist at Hilbert's Highrise Hotel (May 9, 2020)

You want something that holds water, yes. I’m not sure I would call it a “container”

Bigger hint: you need a sponge

Spoiler: it’s in Kevels workshop, in a bucket in the corner.

This is a fantastic FM: several hours of pure enjoyment for a somewhat contemplative person like myself. No forced ghosting, no time pressure, no hypersensitive / hyper-aggressive opponents, but almost constant thinking / problem-solving challenges (with just the right amounts of nudges, when needed) in a visually appealing and varied environment, where even my kind can't get lost...

Just a few minor questions:

1 - is there a way to open the Wishing Pond gate (from inside)?
    2 - is the metal door in Kevel's downstairs generator room openable?
    3 - the wall frame with 3 cues by the pool table remains active after returning the 8-ball - is it still waiting for something else?

Again, it was a truly delightful and memorable experience. Thanks a lot!

Thanks! I'm glad you found it engaging!

1. There is no way to open the Wishing Pond door Although it is possible to get there an alternate way- but your parenthetical makes me think you already have.
    2. Not openable
    3. Nothing to do with these. FrobInerting them is on my list of changes for a future patch.

I really am enjoying this FM! I love the Harry Potter vibes I am getting.

I never did like extreme puzzle missions, but thought this would be fun. On expert dif. I am at a wheel where it shows winter, spring, summer and fall.
    There is no gear symbol, unless you mean a six sided start or hexagonal symbol, what assume the triangle means arrow (assume), what does sand look like, no hourglass. nothing works. Very misleading.

I dropped sponge in upper pool on roof, but it vanishes (another bug). So I just shot the sponge on ground with water arrow.
    Not sure how to get in area where there is two locked gates either. I'm stuck

Hi scottyd,

The plaques beneath the talisman receivers are not clues for the circular dials. You need to figure out what Kepler has been studying...

Spoiler: You’ll need to check out the constellations in the muse paintings.

The sponge does not disappear, it just has a tendency to fly further than expected when thrown. Dropping it tends to be more controlled than throwing it.

Regarding the two gates, are you are referring to the area behind the front desk? Or do you mean in the upper west wing of the penthouse?

Also, thanks LadyVictoria! Happy to hear that

Wonderfull puzzles you've constructed.
    I did have some challenges in finding the exhibit with the hints for the safe with coloured buttons, only to find out that I've all ready been there early.

Beautiful mission which easily could have been a lot harder with security turned on and more guards.

Really cool and well constructed dual spiral staircase.
    I actually got to the the floor with the Aleph stone the unintended way, by using 2 rope arrows in the area near the dining room.

I used v.1.05 which didn't present any technical problems for me when playing - I didn't get psychically stuck anywhere, which I'm otherwise really good at.

Lots of places to climb at and tricky diagonal jumps to make - it helps in finding secrets when someone is snoring somewhere...

I got 9670, and 5 secrets and the 4 bonus objectives.

Finished in 3 hours and 16 minutes.

Very well done!

Even without the fog ;-)
    Last edited by Woodsie1; 21st May 2020 at 06:59. Reason: added one spoiler wrap

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    Hi scottyd,

The plaques beneath the talisman receivers are not clues for the circular dials. You need to figure out what Kepler has been studying...

Spoiler: You’ll need to check out the constellations in the muse paintings.

The sponge does not disappear, it just has a tendency to fly further than expected when thrown. Dropping it tends to be more controlled than throwing it.

Regarding the two gates, are you are referring to the area behind the front desk? Or do you mean in the upper west wing of the penthouse?

Also, thanks LadyVictoria! Happy to hear that
    '

As far as sponge, I dropped it, and didn't throw it, disappeared everytime. I only used it in that pool on the roof where you rope arrow to,

Muse paintings? Are those the two painting we use the glasses to enter?

The Two gates that are locked, I am speaking of are in an area where you have to rope arrow to, jump, and slide desks that are blocking doors. I'm not sure where I am, there is no map, but there is a door between the two gates that lead down a staircase, it is on the west side.

thanls

Re: the sponge, it just has a simple receptron on it, so it reacts the same way to a water arrow as to a drop into the pool. Perhaps the surface reflections just made it hard to see.

There are four more painting your can enter, one in each of the Omega Suites.

The key to those gates is next to Brouwer's corpse in the Aleph Stone exhibit.

Re: the sponge, it just has a simple receptron on it, so it reacts the same way to a water arrow as to a drop into the pool. Perhaps the surface reflections just made it hard to see.

There are four more painting your can enter, one in each of the Omega Suites.

The key to those gates is next to Brouwer's corpse in the Aleph Stone exhibit.

So where is the Omega suites? Not sure if I've been there. You name all these pl;aces, but no map to tell where we are at.

I've not found the Aleph Stone exhibit. I've unlocked most every door, except those two metal gates and one way back closer to start, but up high where the wooden door is rounded at top.

The Omega Suites are the Seasonal Themed Suites on the Gallery level. They're a straight shot from the elevator into the Gallery. If you haven't been there yet, you'll need to grab the Summer Suite key from Lord Rothchild, who's hanging out in the Gallery.

If you haven't been to the Gallery yet, Head all the way down the spiral staircase from the Penthouse atrium.

Thanks, I finished the mission. Very confusing, placing the stones was total random. The wheel thing was almost impossible to work as it kept moving from one season to the other.
    Some things was misleading like when I solved the wheel puzzle and it said she would give me what I wanted, but she did not. She could mean many things.. and where she gives them could be anywhere, almost have to get on this forum here to figure things out.
    This is the most puzzle mission i've ever seen, and I've been playing Thief1-2 (and FM's) since they came out.

I'm not into extreme puzzle missions, but i liked the layout. a lot of unique ideas Ive not seen before. You have some mission making skills that are rare
    Last edited by scottyd; 21st May 2020 at 15:36.

stuck on the cube puzzle...I have tried to retrace steps to find Brouwer's trash can....but I dont know which room is his....and I am going round in circles and getting bored....please tell me the order/code

PM sent. Best of luck!

Hey scottyd, sorry I missed your post.

I'm glad you found aspects to enjoy, despite the mission not being your style. "Extreme puzzle mission" is definitely what I was going for, here. That said, I worked hard to ensure that none of the puzzles (no matter how difficult) were arbitrary or random. All of the information the player needs is contained throughout various readables and/or the environment; there should be no need for guessing.

Regarding the specific ones you mention:
    Placing the Talismans: Read each plaque vertically. They clearly spell out the Talisman they seek.
    After the wheel puzzle: "Return to her" means go back to the Muse of the Four Seasons. The muse is clearly labeled in the entry-way courtyard. As an extra precaution (in case the player doesn't connect the Muse statue to the wheels) both plaques mention the "nocturnal lights"

The concentric wheels are a bit finicky to manipulate. Standing a little off to the side, and then panning view left to right works well for me.

The concentric wheels are a bit finicky to manipulate. Standing a little off to the side, and then panning view left to right works well for me.
    Honestly, they're ridiculously finicky to manipulate. I was moving my mouse millimetres to get from one ring to the next without skipping over, then very carefully holding it steady while frobbing to not jump away. The natural place to stand to interact with them is directly in front, looking at the symbols in the slot, and looking up and down at each one in turn; your suggested approach is somewhat counterintuitive. But it wasn't a showstopper for me, only an annoying hassle.

Lesson learned I’ll stay away from concentric frobbables in my future missions.

Can someone Please elaborate on how you use the spectacles to get out of the Aleph stone room

Quote Originally Posted by JonesCrusher View Post
    Can someone Please elaborate on how you use the spectacles to get out of the Aleph stone room
    Hint: You use them to jump into paintings, and when you take them off, you jump back out to where you went in from. There are six paintings: four in the Omega suites, and two in the penthouse rooms off the big spiral stair. You may have overlooked one of those two, take another look at it, and try jumping in and out of it.

Huge hint: Use the spectacles on the painting in Brouwer’s office (that’s partway down the spiral), which is a painting of the room you’re in. Now you are still in the hotel as before, but if you take the spectacles off you will jump back to that office.

Solution: Use the soectacles on the painting im Brouwer’s office, then go pick up the Aleph stone, then simply take the spectacles off to escape the locked room.

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Hint: You use them to jump into paintings, and when you take them off, you jump back out to where you went in from. There are six paintings: four in the Omega suites, and two in the penthouse rooms off the big spiral stair. You may have overlooked one of those two, take another look at it, and try jumping in and out of it.

Huge hint: Use the spectacles on the painting in Brouwer’s office (that’s partway down the spiral), which is a painting of the room you’re in. Now you are still in the hotel as before, but if you take the spectacles off you will jump back to that office.

Solution: Use the soectacles on the painting im Brouwer’s office, then go pick up the Aleph stone, then simply take the spectacles off to escape the locked room.
    ahh...I didnt realise there was another painting I had missed,thank you

If needed, the diagonal strafe-run can make the leap more forgiving. But yeah, it’s a tough jump and fully optional in terms of beating the main objectives.

@SilenTaffer
    Thanks a lot! Glad you enjoyed it. My advice for reaching the pool/pond is similar in both cases: look up!
    What is the diagonal strafe run? I've been trying to leap across that huge gap between the gargoyles for too many leap reload leap sequences

In both Thief 1 and 2, moving diagonally is faster than moving straight ahead. If you jump while moving diagonally, you will jump further.

It doesn't help that Thief 2 has a slower movement speed, which makes these jumps less forgiving than the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by FloraPoste View Post
    What is the diagonal strafe run?
    You can look it up e.g. here:https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=diagonal+jump

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    In both Thief 1 and 2, moving diagonally is faster than moving straight ahead. If you jump while moving diagonally, you will jump further.

It doesn't help that Thief 2 has a slower movement speed, which makes these jumps less forgiving than the first game.
    Thanks for your reply. Are there commands for diagonal running? If I set up the jump at an angle to the point where I want to land, I'm still jumping in a straight line because the camera adjusts to the direction of my run-up. Or am I being really dense?

I just read csamba's post. Thanks to the both of you. I can't believe that after 20 years of playing this game, I didn't know about diagonal jumping.

It worked! Thanks again!
    Last edited by FloraPoste; 7th Jun 2020 at 08:16.

Glad you were able to land it! Just to reiterate for other players, the gap doesn’t require a diagonal jump, but it can make it easier.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast