TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex: Invisible War ESRGAN Upscale Attempr

These results are (very) good, I don't see any need to manually edit them (talking about normal maps)

I was talking about 2k and above, but yeah, even 1k textures are pretty simplistic for the amount of pixels they actually contain. Something that wasn't there at 256 px won't magically appear at 1024 px or more.

AI inference can do SOME magic

Judith, the idea of the mod is just to upscale original game, not introduce my own vision. I can recreate normals from scratch with improved amount of details (and I've done this for missing normals), but I don't think it is right.
    From my tests DXT compression begin to kill original normals starting from 512x512 size especially on textures with huge blocks like this
    https://imgsli.com/MTg5NzE/12/13
    So they need to be 1024x1024 at least, and most of them are in mod.

Due to the process of upscaling Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3, the real difference in texture sizes is mostly x2, not x4. Cause developers used low-res XBOX textures and just upscaled them twice for the PC (I think they were trying to get rid/let loose of DXT compression artifacts by this). So basicaly I'm upscaling those XBOX sized textures (I x2 downscale PC textures (esrganed with de-DXT model and saved to PNG) and ESRGAN them with x4 upscale model).
    I can upload XBOX vs original textures in the evening, even if I am lazy)

It's expected for the DXT compression to destroy normals, DX1 to DX3 was never made with that in mind (but developers used it anyway, possibly because of original Xbox memory constrains).

But what I'm trying to say is that this is diminishing returns kind of project. Much longer loading times aren't worth the slight increase in quality. Working on lossless quality material and perhaps an approach similar to a remaster would be much more worth of both your time, and would justify the better hardware / longer loading times for the audience.

Loading Times can be decreased with an SSD, it's not THAT bad comparing to JohnP work (for years the "defacto" standard for DXIW and TDS retexturing).

Yes, let's brute force everything. And why stop at typical SSD, let's suggest people should get NVMe M2s to play TDS. You should really meet Gecko, you'd be perfect pals.

SSD doesn't help much, it's something specific engine related

As for the mod itself - it's the main goal - to improve what was present in the original, not to create completely new from scratch.

New Test
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/5www/5o1EAJipu

1576 textures are ready.
    150 textures left, but I need to test each one of them because it's HUD elements and they can crash the game or render wrongly.

Downloading!

It seems HUD elements are upscalable. And also there are level loading images.
    But the first priority now is matlib. There are a lot of normal maps needs to be created.

For now, Deus Ex 2 still loads faster that Thief 3, I don't know why.

I can confirm that. For now all seems good enough!

New test
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/nkoM/57FgVVmaA

I upscaled everything except for fonts and cubemap images.

First bug found)))

Hey Akven, I really like the look of this!

I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've tried copying the files into the textures and bitmap folders but the game still seems to be running with the original textures and not the hi-def ones.

Am I missing something?

First of all, you need to install Deus Ex 2 Visible Upgrade (https://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-2-visible-upgrade) with community texture pack enabled.
    Now unpack/overwrite ESRGAN textures to c:\ProgramData\Deus Ex 2 Visible Upgrade\Installed Mods\Unified Texture Pack\
    PROFIT)

I'll fix all the possible bugs like with moon texture if you will upload screenshots/saves

Now there is long work with material library.
    Materials in Deus Ex 2 are much more organized than in Thief 3 so it will be easier on this part. But there are more normal maps missing, so I'll need to recreate more normals - it's slower.
    Overall Deus Ex 2 easier to mod/fix in terms of textures cause files are very well organized and sorted inside game. No questions at all of why this texture looks like this and there it will be used.

Thanks, thats great! I'll try it out tonight.

Got it working. Apart from the moon you already mentioned looks great so far. Alex looks much better than the original.

Got any new bugs? I fixed Moon texture in like 5 seconds, just want to gather several bugs to upload cumulative fix

None yet.
    I've played all of Seattle, a good chunk of Cairo and Liberty Island (from an old save). Still got to check out Mako, Trier and Antarctica. I was away over the weekend but should make a lot more progress this week.

Seeing lots of improvement, particularly with wood textures and signs. Nothing has looked wrong or out of place apart from the square moon.
    Enjoying it a lot!

I'll start material library fixing after Thief 3. And there could appear any type of problems))
    But as I said before - Deus Ex 2 is like an example of how game files should be organized. Like heaven and hell comparing to Thief 3. Everything is in right place.

Ironic, since gameplay wise DX2 is so much messier!
    Appreciate the work, definately a big improvement on the look!

Played through the whole game. Didn't notice any new bugs or glitches. Just lots of nice crisp textures.

Yes the appearance of textures is very beautiful, professional work!

Just moon fixed.
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/2UoL/39xBKViCT
    I promise, I'm starting to work on additional normal maps)

TODO:
    -all the additional normal maps with material file edited
    -upscale fonts
    -upscale cubemaps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast