TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief chimes in Pet Sematary (1989)

Thief chimes in Pet Sematary (1989)

So the Thief chime sound was earlier used in Pet Sematary. Skip to around 1:39 to hear it:

I imagine it was part of some old stock audio pack. Was just watching the movie earlier and was surprised to hear it.

It isn't part of a stock audio library. This is the 'M01 65 WindBells' instrument from the Korg M1 synthesizer, released in 1988. All you have to do is press the right note and this sequence of chimes will play.

Eric Brosius used the same synth for many of the Thief ambients. For example, the distinctive Bonehoard stings can be quickly recreated using the 'M02 10 The Deep' preset.

More recreations can be found here:

Thanks for posting that, really interesting. I would put money on it being the same keyboard that Terri Brosius (née Barous) played in their band before joining Looking Glass, Tribe, as pictured here (pretty sure that's the KORG logo under some tape or something): http://tribe.stevelatham.net/sl/02_JPG.html

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBogan View Post
    It isn't part of a stock audio library. This is the 'M01 65 WindBells' instrument from the Korg M1 synthesizer, released in 1988. All you have to do is press the right note and this sequence of chimes will play.

Eric Brosius used the same synth for many of the Thief ambients. For example, the distinctive Bonehoard stings can be quickly recreated using the 'M02 10 The Deep' preset.

Fascinating, thank you. I wonder if there's a Korg M1 player software, imagine the possibilities for new ambients for FM's...

There is.

ZylonBane
    Looking Glass did, however, make extensive use of stock sound libraries. I've recognized many Thief and SS2 sound effects from the Sound Ideas library.

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    Fascinating, thank you. I wonder if there's a Korg M1 player software, imagine the possibilities for new ambients for FM's...
    I'm pretty sure this virtual instrument version is what's being used in the demo video.