TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6566166717681869196101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2664

Thread: What are you making?

Moderator and Priest
    Now that I'm seeing things in a bit more detail, I can't help but feel a little bad for the dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    @Renz Ask and ye shall receive!
    The cloud and fire "rain" clashes style wise with everything else, especially when looking at the previous clips.

I agree the graphics are too hi-fidelity

Rain mechanics felt better, maybe you could make something for thunder instead of fireballs? Maybe like a special attack, when you collide with another cloud? Or with another player's cloud in coop? Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    The cloud and fire "rain" clashes style wise with everything else, especially when looking at the previous clips.
    Oh yeah, I'm experimenting with mixing up the format and throwing the unexpected at the player to keep the game from getting boring. Speaking of...

I am a big supporter of the unexpected and surreal route.

I can't remember if I ever posted any videos of my robot WIP yet. Here I've got him trying to say hello world. Well it's a start.

Weirdly, I'm getting Magic Carpet vibes from those GIFs, Yakoob...
    Last edited by Thirith; 7th Dec 2019 at 13:34.

The thrilling conclusion!

Moderator and Priest
    Don't listen to the haters, Yak. I think your dinosaurs are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Don't listen to the haters, Yak. I think your dinosaurs are beautiful.
    They look great and all, they just don't fit aesthetically with the cloud and fire drops. For a game to looke good as a whole, everything needs a unifying look.

Moderator and Priest
    The dinosaurs are beautiful, Kag.

Though if he did want to go for a more coherent art style, it wouldn't be the dinosaurs that should be changed, but the trees and ground textures. He could fix that by running the textures through a box blur, and adding an outline to everything.

Moderator and Priest
    So on a similar note, I finally, FINALLY got around to buying a perpetual license for Substance Painter.

The new Quixel Mixer looks awesome, and that it's gonna be cheap and never sub based (now free for forever since they were bought out by Epic) kept me away from Painter for a goodly bit. The problem is, the current release is pretty limited, and when the fancy updated version with all the Painter-like features is finally unleashed, it's gonna be a feature incomplete rolling beta for a good long while. In contrast, I know Painter's awesome now, and I have a decent understanding of how to use it already, so I figured it was time to plunk down the cash.

I'll probably end up using Mixer for generating procedurals when it starts really coming into its own, a'la Designer, since it's layer based setup seems to be more immediately intuitive to me dealing with tons upon tons of noodly nodes.

But for now: PAINTER!

Moderator and Priest
    Ladies and gentlemen: The Style.

I've been playing around with it for the last 4 days, making new models, converting old ones, and tweaking to my heart's content. It's fairly easy to set up, works well in all situations, and it looks fantastic. It's the first time I can say that, yes, I am now all around happy.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 17th Dec 2019 at 23:19.

Nifty

Moderator and Priest
    Here's another. I've been trying to go for a model a day, but I've missed a couple due to Christmas. Though 10 props over the last 12 days isn't too half bad.

Chakat sex pillow
    Nice. I'd tweak or remove that poster effect though, it's getting in the way of appreciating the texture work. When's the comic coming, dude guy?

Moderator and Priest
    I like the poster effect. Without it, I think it makes everything everything looks sorta plain.

And the comic is what you're looking at. This is the first real foray into it.

Here:

No Poster Effects.

With Poster Effect.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's what lighting's for. Srsly though, it's just semi-transparent diagonal lines across the geometry unless it hits other vertical lines, which is where it looks more pleasing. Otherwise it feels a bit corduroy. You know when I last wore that? When I was 8. Man oh man what a time that was.

edit: yeah, that one without the posterisation looks much nicer. For the posterised one maybe fuck around with the halftone gradation more but you need to lop off the line effect IMO.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 28th Dec 2019 at 03:57.

Moderator and Priest
    Corduroy was the bomb, yo. Used to rock me some corduroy overalls, and a conductor hat when I was 5.

It's not just a simple overlay, it changes with the shading. Really bright spots get the halftone, the mids get the diagonal lines, and the dark spots get nothing. I can actually make the effect a lot more finely detailed, maybe get the best of both worlds.

Here. Smaller Effects.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 28th Dec 2019 at 04:02.

I like the poster effect, keep it there's some great examples of it being used in production, like yoshi wooly world or the links awakening in NintendoSwitch

Moderator and Priest
    I've done a few big things, but really, it's the little details that always end up being the coolest.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Beautiful stuff, Renz!

Yup, that looks superb!

I got back to more speedy asset making recently, and I'm almost done with basic modular pieces for cellar section. I'll post screenshots after I finish the last module (external wall with a window).

Moderator and Priest
    I just baked my first flat texture from a model detailed in Substance Painter. Weirdly enough, it was the most complicated thing I've done thus far, requiring me to do all kinds of weird stuff to make sure it all tiled properly.

And now the base set for cellar is more or less complete:

Page 106 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6566166717681869196101102103104105106107 LastLast