TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45505560657075808590919293949596979899100105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2717

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Things look quite nice indeed there. I presume that most of the social distancing measures have been lifted a long time ago, right?
    We're still at level 2. So social distancing is still in effect in some cases.

Public transport has been limited to every other seat for example. Shops are limiting how many people are allowed in. Not that people are actually following the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Nice to see that contact tracing has such a high stand and is well communicated. Contact tracing is especially important as there are quite many that never get any symptoms at all.

We still have our 2+2 rule in effect - in public places, if possible, more than 2 people should not be together and should also keep 2 meter distance to others. Etc. There still are some travel route restrictions in relation to other countries ... unless they got already dropped (forgot the date). Shops are open and all other such mandated restrictions are gone. All-in-all, sounds quite comparable to your level 2.

Our local antibody studies (results are preliminary as the study is ongoing) have shown that 38% who had developed antibodies for the virus never had any symptoms and also no known contacts. That is higher than the guesstimates given months ago. I presume, that study among others (we also have a weekly random sampling study for situation monitoring etc) in conjunction with contact tracing is used to estimate current infection rate - 0.3 (ie. currently, 1 infected manages to infect 0.3 others). Which is well below 1.0 - that would be needed to keep the virus alive (and WELL below when the shitstorm was in full swing).

No known contacts can probably be explained by our initial outbreak being quite bad in comparison with everyone else in the vicinity and our contact tracing not being able to cope at the time. If i would scale our numbers up to NZ population count then we would have: 7054 known cases and 256 dead. Or when scaling up to S.Korea: 72298 cases with 2629 dead. Which would be around 6 and 10 times as much as the actual S.Korea. A bit of a fail. Could have been worse, much worse. Besides one of our naturally isolated islands - it never truly exploded anywhere else.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Something else ...

India daily cases keep slowly but steadily going up (exp. ramp) - despite reportedly considerable testing (with some serious question marks - death/case ratio tells that all is alright, buuuuut ...). It is a darn big country. It is actually so darn big that thous case counts could be seen just as the virus moving in and trying to find a place to flourish. Is the current state worrying or not yet i wonder?

Brazil - now this is bad. Like really bad. Daily cases seem to still be exponentially ramping up (strong weekly cycle muddies the view) - with highest peak in a week so far already reaching 30K (~47K if scaled up to US population count - US never got even remotely near that in its peak). Testing, as reported (does not update daily) is abysmal (>0.5 cases per tests ... i hope that just their reporting is abysmal and has persistent omissions).

Our government has done East Germany and China, and now they're going full ayatollah and requring face masks on public transport.

I don't really have any other option than to suffer under this fascist nonsense if I want to get to work, so I need the most obnoxious, intimidating face covering possible. All suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Guy Fawkes? Darth Vader?

Get one of the transparent face masks.

Moderator and Priest
    Slip some pantyhose over your head, then wrap a bandana around your face. Wear a fedora for extra effect.

Go full plague doctor.

On another related topic. It's been 14 days officially since a new case. That damn last person just won't get better.

Got dammit, person, you better get cured like yesterday, cause we need better stats!

Well we also had a large demonstration regarding the USA and nobody social distanced there.

So if someone is asymptomatic and went there. We're going to go back to square 1.

I'm a bit puzzled by the demonstrations in NZ, Europe, etc. Why even take the risk in the middle of a pandemic for something that doesn't affect your country? Where was the show of support for the HK protesters?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Why even take the risk in the middle of a pandemic for something that doesn't affect your country?
    Because there are opportunists. People trying to take advantage of the outrage, to further their own goals. E.g. in NL we see Dutch anti-racist groups demonstrate "against racism". Racism in general. That's fine of course. But they act as if the situation in NL is exactly the same in the US. It isn't. Of course we have racism and racists in NL, but it's at a whole different level compared to the situation in the US. Example: our police is a whole lot less violent than police in the US. So police-violence in NL against colored people hardly exists. I'm not saying that percentage-wise black people in NL aren't bothered a bit more by the police. That probably happens. But they get shot in the head byt the police a lot less. But that doesn't seem to matter. It's a PR moment.

And again, I'm not against European people showing their support for African-Americans in the US. That's great. Please continue.

About the risk to spread covid-19: the mayor of Amsterdam decided to not break up the demonstration last Monday in Amsterdam. She's getting a lot of flack for that from our parliament. I hope she gets fired. Probably not, but one can hope.

Where was the show of support for the HK protesters?
    In NL, anti-racism is mostly about racism against black/brown people. Not asians. The anti-racism organizations in NL are ran by black people. And of course they have white people inside those organizations too. But I think they don't have (m)any asians in them. And they never protest for asian people. Black Lives Matter. Asian Lives matter a lot less, apparently.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 5th Jun 2020 at 12:15.

Essentially US blacks make the best music, in fact our whole lives would be shit without black music, so it behooves us to make a stand at this point.

case in point

some cops beat up MILES FUCKING DAVIS outside fucking BIRDLAND a week after he released A kind of Blue, arguably the most influential JAZZ ALBUM of all time. They could have killed him, and there would have gone a large portion of modern 20th century music as we know it.

All white people have a racial bias, deep down you know it, its time to accept that and do something about it, no denial anymore. Like an addict finally accepts that they are an addict, and need help from outside themselves.
    also fuck the virus its bad
    Last edited by PigLick; 5th Jun 2020 at 13:15.

this also may help explain things a little more clearly

I'm a bit puzzled by the demonstrations in NZ, Europe, etc. Why even take the risk in the middle of a pandemic for something that doesn't affect your country? Where was the show of support for the HK protesters?
    China has bought out the government.

Racism (and not just in the form of police violence) is more real for Europeans. Also, the police might shoot relatively fewer people here, but every now and then it just happens that some cop "accidentally" sodomises a fellow dark-skinned citizen with a truncheon so that the said citizen needs emergency surgery and will need lifelong medical care.

Also, I think a lot of people have just given up on Hong Kong, figuring that what's happening is inevitable. For example, the UK is now thinking of offering a path to citizenship to 2.9 million people in Hong Kong: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52842303

Very briefly, I wouldn't protest now because I'm afraid I wouldn't survive the virus but that doesn't mean that I'm not protesting. I'm just doing it by myself. I started demonstrating in 1968 and carried on, on and off, till the early 90s. As for something not affecting my country, I'll just say that I'm a big fan of John Donne: "No man is an island entire of itself . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind . . ."

But I do think part of it is because of a general disgust with Trump. And he does detrimentally affect the whole world.

Meanwhile, the police in the US seize hundreds of masks meant for protesters: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black...bc1a40159b9?k9

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    I don't really have any other option than to suffer under this fascist nonsense if I want to get to work, so I need the most obnoxious, intimidating face covering possible. All suggestions gratefully welcomed.
    Yes yes, public health is fascism, yes yes.

Wear a mask with your own face printed on it. I can't think of anymore more obnoxious after your previous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    All white people have a racial bias, deep down you know it
    I have not :|
    Maybe you're saying "prejudice toward black MALE people", but that's a totally different story, the one about sexual competition.
    Last edited by lowenz; 6th Jun 2020 at 02:17.

States were warned about re-opening too early and now the results are starting to come in. It's almost as though people need to be told that just because bars and tattoo parlors are open again does not mean that the epidemic is over with, ffs. Up here in Wisconsin we're starting to see a marked increase in the number of COVID-19 cases and related deaths since businesses started re-opening, but that hasn't stopped a lot of residents from packing the bars and taverns. It's really kind of scary to see this kind of denial .... or is it just plain stupidity? Yes, I get that some people need to get back to work because they can't afford to stay home any longer, but there are still those of us who are in the high risk category for this damned virus and it sure seems like those who've been demanding the immediate re-opening of everything in this state are also the same idiots who don't give a flying rat's ass how many of us die from it. Hell, going to the grocery store (because the next available grocery delivery date is two to three weeks away) is like running a fucking obstacle course, trying to dodge non-masked people who think they can crowd my personal space and sneeze in my face. A friend of mine who's a nurse at the local hospital told me that dying of this virus is an agonizing death and she's currently in counseling trying to deal with that grief and horror at having to watch so many people die, alone, of the coronavirus. So, no thanks, I'll continue to observe every precaution I can.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...es/3147652001/

In British Columbia we are reopening but there are severe restrictions on how businesses are accessed, occupancy limits and hygiene protocols. Even though we have long since flattened the curve, people are very cautious about returning to normal, preferring to stay the course, social distance and avoid unnecessary risks.

The biggest threat to our health is cross border visitors from the USA, because...

Last edited by bob_doe_nz; 8th Jun 2020 at 00:36.

Kinda jealous. If the protests themselves don't spread the virus, the thousands of arrests spending the night in overcrowded jails that already have substantial COVID-19 outbreaks going on, will. And that's not even getting into the places that are opening up despite rising numbers.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by nbohr1more View Post
    Censored by deep state.

Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 45505560657075808590919293949596979899100105 ... LastLast