TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: t2x mission "the cure" is too dark

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002

    t2x mission "the cure" is too dark

    I've had no trouble with any of the t2x missions, but "the cure" is simply too dark. Cranking up brightness/contrast/gamma does not help in any way, because a lot of the level is completely black. It is playable, but not enjoyable, because in many places you just have to jump into the darkness and see what happens, e.g. if you can mantle something you cannot see. Is there some patch to that t2x level, or some other way to fix it? (Adding a carryable light source would help.)

  2. #2
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    Might be your monitor or something. Personally I've never had any issues like that, and I've played that level many times. My favorite from T2X.

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered: May 2008
    Location: Southern,California
    show a screen shot

  4. #4
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    This is a normal screenshot after applying 210% gamma correction in Irfanview (maximum gamma setting ingame). For the many screenshots posted to the forum I normally use something around 160% gamma correction.
    https://s18.postimg.org/7i0y6wahl/too_dark.jpg

  5. #5
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2001
    Location: 0x0x0
    You could load the mission (.miss) file in dromed and raise the ambient light settings, relight the mission and then save. Under Tools---->ambient light----then set the RGB values on the lower right of the box. Then Tools-----> Obj Cast Light Then Tools----Light Drop into game mode Alt-G to see changes. Might take a few times to get it right. To get back to the editor from game mode Alt-E.

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Under Tools---->ambient light----then set the RGB values on the lower right of the box.
    Using "dromed 1.03 final" from the original game disc, the dialog box asks for a "string argument" with "intensity" filled in as the default. What should I do, just type a number between 0 and 255 or what?
    Last edited by Luthien; 5th Mar 2018 at 15:26.

  7. #7
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    something is horribly broken. using NewDark?

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    using NewDark?
    No, plain TMA with DDfix applied, in 640x480.

  9. #9
    Zombified
    Registered: Sep 2004
    *leaves topic*

  10. #10
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    Yeah, it's 2018 btw.

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Yeah, if - in ~18 years - you haven't noticed that the only resolution that does not take x seconds to switch between the map and back to the game is 640x480, you can't have played Thief one tenth as much as I have. Thank you very much for the arrogance and zero technical knowledge ("too dark = it must be the monitor").

  12. #12
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    Updating to NewDark is highly recommended. I can't see any reason why you should be having a problem in this mission but not in others, but updating to NewDark will help with almost all technical problems.

    You can use Tafferpatcher, but the all singing all dancing options may be a bit overwhelming. Since you're nearing the end of an FM and probably just want to keep going, download the 1.25 package here:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...t=newdark+1.25

    Open that zip file, then open new_dark.zip. Extract the 5 items there to your Thief2 folder (the doc folder is optional).
    Next, go back to the top level of this file and open contrib.zip. All 9 items in there should also be extracted into your Thief2 folder.

    That should be it. If there are any further problems (or the current one still remains), you can either post here or in ThiefGen. And whatever happens, voodoo47 will stop sulking.

  13. #13
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    @Luthien - I wasn't trying to be arrogant, but you're using very outdated software. I wasn't talking about your resolution, but ddfix. It's completely obsolete. Switch to New Dark, and you can probably get 0 switching time with any resolution you choose. Ddfix is just not used anymore, and no one is likely going to be able to help you configure it properly.

  14. #14
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Updating to NewDark is highly recommended. I can't see any reason why you should be having a problem in this mission but not in others, but updating to NewDark will help with almost all technical problems.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but if I wanted to play a different game, I'd play a different game: I'm not interested in game mechanics changing mods like NewDark; tdp, tg and tma have been working like a charm for the last nineteen yers, and I'm sure they'll still work twenty years in the future. The question was about the fan mission and not about the engine anyway.

    @Brethren: Don't bother to communicate with me anymore - the junk you've thrown at me several times has earned you a place on my ignore list.

    Please spare me further advice a la "the original games are crap, if you don't use xyz-mod you're an idiot". At what point in time did ttlg become such a hostile and un-helpful place? (Rethorical question, no nswer required.)
    Last edited by Luthien; 5th Mar 2018 at 20:15.

  15. #15
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    I know you have some history here Luthien, but really, you're just being a jerk now. I think it's pretty obvious (to most) that people here are trying to help you. You don't have to take anyone's advice, but you also don't have to treat people like shit who have good intentions.

    New Dark doesn't change Thief that significantly that it could be construed as a "different game." Not even close. You sound like an old grandpa who refuses to accept that (insert technology here) is the way of the future when it's been a foregone conclusion for some time now.

    And it's funny how you claim the original games work fine, yet you still posted this thread because you were having major issues. Issues that no one else is having.

  16. #16
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    edit for context: made this post at the same time as Brethren...

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but if I wanted to play a different game, I'd play a different game: I'm not interested in game mechanics changing mods like NewDark;
    That's not what NewDark is. NewDark is a patch makes it easier to run the game on newer computers, with support for fancy things, but on it's own it doesn't change game mechanics, nor the appearance. There is an option for improved mantling, but in the package I linked to, it's off by default. I provided that link precisely because it's the simplest option. And I'm sure you'll like being able to run at a higher resolution with no game-menu delay.

    tdp, tg and tma have been working like a charm for the last nineteen yers
    But there's one mission in T2X which is behaving strangely. I have no idea if the NewDark patch will fix it, but it's worth a try.

    At what point in time did ttlg become such a hostile and un-helpful place? (Rethorical question, no nswer required.)
    Answer provided anyway: It's mainly voodoo47 getting carried away, and I don't like it either.

  17. #17
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2011
    Location: Planet Crazy Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    It's mainly voodoo47 getting carried away, and I don't like it either.
    My take on voodoo was not that he was being dramatic, but rather, prescient. With any tech topic, voodoo is one of the first on the thread and with the proper fix.

    Someone who is still using 1.03 in 2018 has been resisting NewDark for what? 8 years?
    Seems predictable, then, where the convo is going to go once NewDark is brought up and voodoo is likely tired and bored of having *that* convo over and over.
    And over again.

    IMO there is not much that can be done re: ddfix issues at this point; which is why NewDark was a god-send so long ago.

    2¢ Keep the change

  18. #18
    Southquarter.com/fms
    Registered: Apr 2000
    Location: The Akkala Highlands
    In the end, you can have 2 completely separate installations, one New Dark, one Old Dark, if you really want to. They can co-exist without affecting each other.

  19. #19
    Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Registered: Apr 2015
    The screenshot is looking messed up. I wonder if hardware acceleration is enabled. Since you're using ddfix, you need a higher resolution than 640x480
    ddfix readme
    open ddfix.ini and change the screen resolution there to match what you want to use in game. (Using your desktop resolution is recommended, but anything will do as long as it's 800x600 or above.) If required, you can also turn on the duel core and video fixes here.
    That means, ddfix doesn't work at all in this case. There are some threads about T2x and ddfix.
    I also recommed using NewDark, btw. It's easier for you.

  20. #20
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    Luthien, remember when the Dark engine source was leaked a few years ago? Then a few years after that NewDark mysteriously appeared? Do try to put two and two together. It's not a new engine. It's even used by the GOG and Steam releases.

  21. #21
    Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: Fields of bluegrass
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    the only resolution that does not take x seconds to switch between the map and back to the game is 640x480
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    if I wanted to play a different game, I'd play a different game: I'm not interested in game mechanics changing mods like NewDark;
    These two statements make it obvious to most everyone else here that you don't understand what NewDark is or what its benefits are. It's one thing to want to play Thief with purely vanilla assets, but quite another to play in OldDark with DDFix because you don't understand NewDark. And then come here to ask for help with an issue you're having, but then to lash out at everyone trying to help you with pompous derision is, to most of us, inexcusably ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
    Please spare me further advice a la "the original games are crap, if you don't use xyz-mod you're an idiot". At what point in time did ttlg become such a hostile and un-helpful place? (Rethorical question, no nswer required.)
    No one said the original games are crap or that you're an idiot, only that if you refuse to take advantage of the updated engine then you're more or less rolling the dice and not many people will be able to help you here. Most everyone here who took the time to post was trying to help you. The only hostile and unhelpful person in this thread is you.

  22. #22
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2004
    Location: Germany

    The screenshot shows something that doesn't look like a simple gamma correction issue. There are gaps in the health bar, but they should not be there. I would suspect that ddfix and either the graphics card or its drivers do not work well together in this case, but I don't know why.

    Furthermore, I do not know about any version of ddfix which would allow the player to select a 640x480 resolution successfully. If I trick the ddfix version I just tried into 640x480, it's giving me all weird colors and then crashes after just a few seconds. The ddfix version in ddfix.ini in my case is 1.3.11b. I am using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 embedded into my laptop CPU to display graphics. This does work in my case, as long as I'm not trying to force it into 640x480 or lower resolutions. However, I do not use ddfix under normal circumstances because I can either play Thief 2 v1.1.8 even without ddfix, or with NewDark. Therefore, I'm not very experienced when it comes to ddfix.

    Luthien, do you know what version of ddfix you're using? Do you know whether there's a hint in ddfix.ini saying that you should select 800x600 resolution or higher? (If so, then please try it at least once, and tell us wheter it helped or not.) Do you know what graphics card you use? And which version of Windows? I can't promise that anyone can help you even if you can tell us all this, but the chances would rise. At the moment, I have no idea what's going wrong or why exactly. Or why it only seems to affect "The Cure".

    On a side note, you are right in saying that switching from game mode to the map (or readables like scrolls, for example) can take a lot of time if one uses the old Thief 2 engine at a different resolution than 640x480. This is because the resolution of the map and readable displays are fixed at 640x480 in the old engine, leading to video mode changes wheneve one switches from gane mode to maps or readables and back again. However, NewDark would change that; it usually keeps the resolution fixed. Additionally, there usually is not much of a change between "Old Dark" (the engine of the original games) and NewDark (the game engine updated for modern computers and modern graphincs cards and such). So maybe you would not have these two problems if you were using NewDark in the future.

    However, in case of T2X, there seems to be a change in NewDark that was significant, for three versions of T2X for NewDark have been made. One of them, made by Ricebug, contains only changes to make the T2X missions run in NewDark as well. Thus, switching to NewDark in this case would mean that you better search for such a version of T2X as well, and then you would have to do a bit of trickery to get to "The Cure" without re-playing the whole campaign up to that point. I can understand that you do not wish to go that way, but would still recommend giving NewDark a try if things go wrong. I am using two installations of Thief 2 on my machine; an "Old Dark" installation for a few old missions I started in the old days before NewDark, and which I would like to finish with "Old Dark" then, and also a NewDark installation (made with TafferPatcher, by the way) for anything new.

    I have been very skeptical with NewDark when it came out, and took a year or more until I tried it for the first time, but I can see its benefits on newer computers clearly. At least if everything else fails, you should try NewDark.

    And no, I'm not getting paid for recommending NewDark. But I wouldn't mind if anyone would give me money, so anybody reading this may feel free to donate. (Just joking, of course.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •