TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Death's Cold Embrace: Mission 8 "The Ritual"

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Very well done fan mission pack, Yandros,

I haven´t finished it yet, currently I am stuck at mission 8. I definitely like the new approach of small, incremental changes in the city, as you pass through story, both serious, and funny ones
    and that reanimated midwife-woman? That thing was scary. I just don´t get why she died all of suddenly, was it because of the snow? (it was written in the first level that water damages her)

Unfortunately, it seems I have stumbled upon a bug, and a serious one:
    I am playing at normal difficulty. At the beginning of mission 8, if you will not drop Julia´s body as first thing, as it was written, but instead go and start searching for missing ingredients (you will just leave the body where you spawned, which is exactly what I did, because it seemed easier than parading with her through the streets), you can collect them all, and after that, when you finally dump Julia´s body near the secret entrance, objective will not tick itself and no new objectives will appear. You can continue through the mission (finish the ritual, go to Fairbanks for bonus + do the Ms. Robinson vs. Garret optional objectives, both will properly tick as completed), but after you will finish, objective "When you´re ready to go to castle, go take the staff" will become ticked at the end of the final in-game cut-scene, but then the mission itself will not finish.

My guess is, your script is written in such a way that it checks if ALL the previous objectives are in some desired state, and if not, it will not allow to finish the mission. And since the first objective is not ticked and the others will not even appear, even though I satisfied them, it will left you stuck in the level.

So my question here is: is there any way how to force the game to skip to the next mission?
    I really wouldn´t like to replay tho whole level because of that.

EDIT:// Nevermind, just found out about the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+END thingy, never needed it up until now

And a small suggestion, if I may:
    After the unsuccessful ritual, brother Thaddeus will dump a lot of exposition about his childhood expelled friend. I know it should seems like an unexpected plot twist, but all of a sudden there´s a new character without any kind of introduction. It would definitely help, if there would be small hints throughout the missions (and if they are there, I apologize for not noticing them), let´s say, there could be a historic readable in Hammerite´s library, describing an excommunication, which happened long time ago, stating Mathien amongst several other excomunicatees + some notes about a childhood friend in Thaddeus´s Journal by the bed.

Not only player would have a slow introduction to the character, the villain´s reveal would still instill the "aha!" moment, because only in that cut-scene would player connect all the dots from previous tidbits of information.

All around, fantastic set of missions.
    Last edited by Tarhiel; 1st Jan 2018 at 16:20. Reason: Found a solution

Thanks for the comments. Yes, that sounds like a bug but the force end as you found is the best solution probably rather than trying to account for ti with scripting. As for Mathien, you actually read a journal entry he wrote in Thaddeus' library at the end of mission 5 which hints at his fascination with death, but other than that you are right, he is not introduced until the big event here in mission 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, that sounds like a bug but the force end as you found is the best solution probably rather than trying to account for ti with scripting. As for Mathien, you actually read a journal entry he wrote in Thaddeus' library at the end of mission 5 which hints at his fascination with death, but other than that you are right, he is not introduced until the big event here in mission 8.
    Also, I found out that when you force end it after the bug I described you also cannot finish end of level 9 the screen will fade out, but the mission complete movie will not play, you also have to force end it.

One last question: Who was that thief Garret met in Tricksters Tail Inn? He behaved like he was somebody significant, but I don´t get it - if he is an old Garret, how could it be? Is this some kind of a wink at fandom or did I missed something?
    Last edited by Tarhiel; 1st Jan 2018 at 19:19.

Missions 8 and 9 should not affect one another. If mission 9 did not end properly, it is likely due to your not being up to date with NewDark 1.25.

The older thief who was in the Harlequin Inn (not the Trickster's Tail) was Conall, the player character from Random_Taffer's Godbreaker campaign. Highly recommended if you've not played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Missions 8 and 9 should not affect one another. If mission 9 did not end properly, it is likely due to your not being up to date with NewDark 1.25.

The older thief who was in the Harlequin Inn (not the Trickster's Tail) was Conall, the player character from Random_Taffer's Godbreaker campaign. Highly recommended if you've not played it.
    I haven´t. Thank you, will have a look at it; I remember Fenphoenix doing a playthrough of that FM.

Where's the page from the Book of Shadows?

If you have encountered Delilah again, it is in her mouth. Otherwise, keep searching for the keystones and you'll eventually come across her.

Thanks, just found her in the cemetery

I didn't have trouble mantling the window ledgebut I figured the best way to handle the no-KO guard is to lock him in the book store.

I have two questions: Do I need anything special to activate the glyph, frobbing does nothing, and how do I open the freezer door?

Edit: I figured out the glyph.
    Last edited by john9818a; 15th Feb 2018 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Do I need anything special to activate the glyph, frobbing does nothing,
    Try head butting it

how do I open the freezer door?
    In increasing spoilerness:
    1. Someone has a spare key.
    2. Have a root around the Mechanist building. One of the offices has a book which explains things.
    3. The key is in the alcove in Vilnia's office.....The switch for the alcove's door is under the desk.

Yeah I tried leaning into it and I kept going!

Thanks Robin. I got it with the first clue. I can't believe I missed that gate in Ingraham's office.

This mission seems to have broke for me (playing on Expert). The keystone objective ticks off when I collect two (my first was the spirit stone, and any of the others seems to do it), then it unticks when I get more. After I finish all the other objectives I can't go down to the ritual area or pick up the body because the game presumably still classes that as "unfinished" so I'm stuck. So I can't progress (I could level skip, but I apparently miss some major content then) unless replaying the mission fixes it...

If you don't want to replay, email me the savegame and I will fix it so you can pick up Julia and go down the ladder.

Thanks! I've sent the save.

I fail no-kill shortly after entering the restricted library. It's not a train-smash but I am very interested in knowing why.

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yux4rjqn90...quick.sav?dl=0

also the hardest part to this series for me was when you have to go to graveyard and the undead are supper pissed off,you have to bury the brother and not get spoted,but there is one ghost that is set up in a way to rush you as soon as you try to cross the open strech to get to grave,he is located on the far left side opposite site you come from

anyone else know what part i mean

@SuaveSteve I'll take a look at it in a bit and let you know what the cause is (hopefully).

I've already looked at that save Yandros, and found the cause and solution.

Edited quicksave file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7nh1x5qf581fb3x/quick.zip

There's a pile of unconscious bodies on a bed, and one of them is dying. I moved it to another bed and all seems fine now.

Downwinder: that won't have been set up deliberately (I'm rubbish with undead and I managed that goal). He may have become alerted during the fighting with the Hammers, and stopped there by coincidence.
    Last edited by R Soul; 7th Apr 2018 at 19:50.

Thanks R Soul!

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Edited quicksave file:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/7nh1x5qf581fb3x/quick.zip

There's a pile of unconscious bodies on a bed, and one of them is dying. I moved it to another bed and all seems fine now.
    That's where I like putting them.

Thanks, save works great. Though I wonder why that is happening. Maybe crush damage from another body clipping in?

It's caused by either or both of the priests. Their spells become 'ready' when they're knocked out, so one of them must be causing damage to that one AI.

Fantastic mission! Remembering where the page was hidden sure made me feel smart, I knew that little detail in the journal way back in mission one was odd Quick question about one of the side stories

What happened with the ghost and the crazy robot girl? I only caught a glimpse of him before she was slumped over.

Congrats on remembering the clue early on about where the slip of paper was to be found! It's moments like that when Rob and I are most appreciative of folks catching on to all the little details we put into this thing.

It was the ghosts of both Miller and Ellinsworth, and they were shaking their heads at her until you got closer to them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345