TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkwood - top-down survival/horror(?)

Running on roads makes your stamina drop more slowly!

Leaving one way into the house unbarricaded lets you predict which way the enemies will come from. I thought I was very clever, leaving the front door unlocked and a bear trap hidden in a doorway. When I heard it go off, I ran to see what was captured... and the antlered bastard jumped me from behind.

I rather enjoy killing dogs, yet I also rather like Mr. Wolf.

Tomorrow night I attend a wedding.

Moderator and Priest
    That wedding will mess you up, brah! It'll stir your brains until they're cray-cray!

I finished it 2 years ago, I remember of a great ominous journey. NPCs, locations, conversations are incredibly bizzare and fascinating. I'll don't spoil but believe me, the final chapter worth the suffering.
    Once you reach the swamp level, the game become so hard. Very hard even if you are a regular player accustomed to difficulty. Resources become scarce, enemies become stronger and more resistant, it become so hard to survive a couple of night.
    I admit to having used a trainer, without that I will have given up like many others !

I'm not happy to hear there's a swamp level, particularly as I chose "poison weakness" as my last flaw. I'm determined to make it through this time, but I'm only playing one day per day to avoid sloppiness and stress.

I killed the sow to put her out of her misery, with the town's destruction as a side benefit. I'm pretty sure there was roundabout cannibalism going on there, anyway.

Moderator and Priest
    The swamp is pretty difficult, but you should know what to expect when you finally reach it. Like everything before it, just approach everything cautiously, and you'll make it through.

Wolf likes me! He gave me a hug and licked my face. Tomorrow we're gonna go explore a spooky house!

I have recently finished it. Fantastic game, highly recommended. I love the atmosphere and how ambiguous everything is, including gameplay. I've been playing with no prior knowledge of mechanics and systems and I have to say that fumbling around and trying to figure out how things work was really fun. Very little hand-holding and the game loves to punish you for your own mistakes which is pretty cool. The characters are amazing and unique. I'm very happy that I decided to play it.

The only thing that kind of annoyed me was the whole "you have only one chance to get the other ending" gimmick. That's such an artificial way to restrict it and it encourages either backing up your save or just looking it up on YouTube because what are the odds that you're gonna do it on the first try? And playing the entire game again just to have another attempt is just stupid.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Vicarious!

A few nights after I gathered the courage to get back to Darkwood, a behemoth invaded my hideout, capable of shorting the generator and spawning little crow minions. This was the first time I was grateful the hideout's so large, because I just ran from the beast after winging it once or twice with a pistol, and barely made it to dawn. This game.

I passed a threshold in skill around the time I made it to the swamp, and the game has become much easier. Part of it was learning it's better not to explore every nook and cranny of every map. However, the larger part was abandoning my strategy of hiding in a corner every night, gun pointed at the doorway. Running from place to place within the hideouts is a better survival strategy, despite the new risks it poses. Now I just need to figure out how to place traps in a way that complements this new tactic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12