TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: How to modify object in inventory

How to modify object in inventory

I'm trying to implement a section in my fm where Garrett looses his bow. There are nonetheless archer AIs around... I want Garrett to be able to pick up broadhead arrows, which now appear as 'junk' object in inventory. The only problem is that the object velocity when Garrett 'drops' the object still makes the arrow behave as if it was shot from a bow with high speed. I do not want this.

I assume that in order for Garrett to be able to pick up and drop a broadhead arrow that has first been shot by an archer AI, the velocity of the object must somehow be modified after the arrows have been shot by the archer AIs.

How can I modify the velocity of the arrow (I'm assuming a metaprop) when Garrett does not have his bow, so that the arrow looses all velocity when frobbed? I'd like to achieve this using exclusively vanilla mechanisms (I'm thinking S&Rs) and no custom scripts if possible. Does any fm achieving this exist? All help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Sperry; 30th Dec 2018 at 07:43.

Arrows have two properties: Faces Velocity and Initial Velocity. Both of these are copied from the archetype to the concrete object when it's created, so you'd have to set those properties directly (rather than using a metaprop).

How are you already changing the type from weapon to junk? Presumably a receptron on the Garrett archetype, effect: Permeate into container. The difficulty here is that arrows have lots of properties that give them their behaviour. Changing them (or making metaprops to override them) would be mostly possible (using a Set Property effect for the two mentioned above, and Add Metaproperty to override the others), but I don't think you can stop an A/R source, e.g. PokeStim, being inherited, so anyone bumping in to a discarded arrow is going to get a sore foot. Or a wet foot. Or a hot foot etc.

An alternative could be to make a set of dummy archetypes for each type of arrow (broadhead, water arrow etc) and swap the real arrows for the dummy ones, but that would involve adding them to the player's inventory, which cannot be done with S&R.

I'd like to achieve this using exclusively S&Rs and no custom scripts if possible
    This is a strange request, because there are some custom scripts that can help, and at least one that allows a different solution that might be better (depending on your preference).

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The difficulty here is that arrows have lots of properties that give them their behaviour. Changing them (or making metaprops to override them) would be mostly possible (using a Set Property effect for the two mentioned above, and Add Metaproperty to override the others), but I don't think you can stop an A/R source, e.g. PokeStim, being inherited, so anyone bumping in to a discarded arrow is going to get a sore foot. Or a wet foot. Or a hot foot etc.

An alternative could be to make a set of dummy archetypes for each type of arrow (broadhead, water arrow etc) and swap the real arrows for the dummy ones, but that would involve adding them to the player's inventory, which cannot be done with S&R.
    Good point (see what I did there?), I hadn't thought about the poke stim. So how could one achieve this? If not with S&Rs, then how?

This is a strange request, because there are some custom scripts that can help, and at least one that allows a different solution that might be better (depending on your preference).
    I've modified my previous post and the title of the thread, which were misleading. I'm simply hoping to achieve this using basic vanilla dromed mechanisms (such as S&Rs) as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
    Good point (see what I did there?), I hadn't thought about the poke stim. So how could one achieve this? If not with S&Rs, then how?
    Probably with a Genie: http://www.wearytaffer.com/NV/index....als/Genies.htm
    (an alternative to the old way of having a conversation AI in a blueroom)
    The problem here is that a pseudo script to add a link needs the object's name or ID, which won't be known if you use S&R to create the dummy arrows from the hierarchy. You'll need to create concrete objects in Dromed, but you won't need a 'create object' receptron, just set property (agent: me, target: dummy arrow). You should also assign an object name because IDs can change.

You'll need a genie archetype for each type of arrow. Each real arrow will need another receptron effect which is to create the genie.

I'm simply hoping to achieve this using basic vanilla dromed mechanisms (such as S&Rs) as much as possible.
    It would be nice to know your reasons.

ZylonBane
    Maybe he's still using OldDromEd (shudder).