TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Cabinet Door Vhots: Need or No Need?

Cabinet Door Vhots: Need or No Need?

EDIT: Thread's title should really be "Cabinet Door Handle Vhots: Need or No Need?"

After studying LarryG's Self-Assembling Cabinets tutorial, I was able to make a desk with two kinds of jointed objects in Blender: rotating doors and sliding (translating) drawers. Everything is setup for the most part, but I haven't got to the point of testing objects in DromEd. I've only brought cabinet doors into DromEd with 3ds2Bin because they had rotational axes (@x00Aa0000) included. These jointed objects (doors and drawers) have corresponding vhots attached to the base desk object. One thing I'm not clear about (and if this information is old hat, please someone point me to the right post or tutorial) is whether cabinet door handles should have vhots or not. The handle for the object 'smalsafe' does not have a vhot, whereas a typical door would have an axis named as a vhot attached to each doorknob, only one vhot needed for a cabinet door. I have the option of having the handle jitter when the locked door is frobbed. Sorry, I think I read somewhere that footlockers allow one joint per object whereas chests allow for more. I scanned the tutorials and posts but didn't see what I wanted. Hopefully someone can help.
    Last edited by Derspegn; 1st Jan 2020 at 11:25. Reason: Included a more accurate title, changed 'rotating drawers' to 'rotating doors'

vhots are not needed for joints. I think in the early days LGS were going to have AI reach for door handles, with the vhots being the target points, but for various reasons it didn't happen.

They don't do any harm, but their general purpose is for attaching things and moving the centre point of a light.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    vhots are not needed for joints. I think in the early days LGS were going to have AI reach for door handles, with the vhots being the target points, but for various reasons it didn't happen.

They don't do any harm, but their general purpose is for attaching things and moving the centre point of a light.
    That is interesting to know. I was able to attach Targa's smoking pipe to the mouth of Male Noble 2 (specific name escapes me) using the pipe's vhot. With the cabinets, I'll try the handles first with no vhots to see the results.