TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Help getting UU to work

Help getting UU to work

It's actually 2 years to the day that I posted here...wierd. Anyway I'm on a new computer now and since I'm stupid as hell I managed to misplace my Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 disks. So I went to the Looking Glass Classics website to download the game, but ran into something odd. Once I unzipped the zip file it produced 4 IMG files called UM_01.IMG, UM_02.IMG, and so on until 04.IMG. I tried to open the file but an error came up saying it isn't a valid IMG file. Then I tried to open these files with Winzip and it got even wierder.

The first one couldn't really work, said I had to add to an archive or something. But the second file contained UW.EXE in Winzip. And when I opened the final two files in winzip they contained more files. The third file had 18 of them named Cr00page.N01 and they ranged all the way down to Cr17page.N01. The fourth and final IMG file that I unzipped contained a file named Cs000.N17.

I have no idea what any of this means or what to do, so does anyone have some advice? What went wrong with my download? Please help.

----EDIT----
    I just tried unzipped these IMG files in Winzip for the hell of it and none of the files that showed up in it would extract. Someone please help!!

You need a progam like WinImage.

Allright...

I used WinImage on those 4 files and it extracted to 47 .LZH files, an install.exe file, and install.dat file, uwsound.exe file, lha.exe file, an lha.doc, and an install.olb file.

I tried running those programs but they don't seem to be working yet. When I try and run the install program I get a message saying:

Error No. 25 (Stuff\Ultima.RUN)
    EZ-Install Error Message File Missing

I'm stuck on what to do here. Those LZH files have Winzip icons and when I open Winzip they appear to contain other files like before. Does anyone have any pointers on what I should try next? All help is greatly appreciated.

You can extract each file to a disk from WinImage. Then run the install program from a disk.

There are other methods, but I need to get some sleep.

I tried

I did that and now I have all these LZH files...Anyone have a clue on what I should do next?

Your using the wrong program to extract it. The images for the Underworld games on that site are for floppy disks. You need to use Dcflist to extract it. Let me know if you need any assistance with using it.

Oh Ok

Yeah, I've download Dcflist, but I have no clue how to work it. How do I extract the files with it?

The lzh files are needed for the operation/installation of the game, but just in case something went wrong before, I think that it would easier to start from scatch. DCFLIST must be run from a command prompt (msdoxbox). To keep things simple, put DCFLIST in the folder where your image files are. Now, open a command prompt and navigate to where DCFLIST and your image files are. You will need to type the following commands in order:
    dcflist -e uw_01.img
    dcflist -e uw_02.img
    dcflist -e uw_03.img
    dcflist -e uw_04.img
    Easier method: Or, ignore all of that, and just download this batch file and place it in the same folder as DCFLIST and your image files and double-click on it.

Still stuck

I extracted the 4 image files just like you said with that batch, but now I have all those LZH files, LHA.exe, and the familiar UWSound and Install .exe's. I try to run the install but get the following message:

Error No. 25...
    EZ-Install Error Message File missing!

What should I do from here? Again, all advice is greatly appreciated.

Hmnn...EZ-Install? Isn't that some Western Digital hard drive program, or something like that?

It sounds to me as if your trying to run it in Windows, which is fine, but how are you trying to install it? In other words, are you using DosBox, some other emulator or are you just running it from a command prompt? Also, what OS are you using. Give us as much info as you can and we should be able to get you up and running pretty quickly.

Yeah, sorry

Sorry to forget to do that. I'm actually running Windows ME (I know, there aren't many of us). I don't have Dos Box or anything like that I'm just opening it in the MS DOS Prompt from the Start tab. What should I try next?

I had no problems running UU from the download you mentioned. Since I don't understand what exactly you have been trying to get UU to work, I'll tell you what I did, maybe this will help you.

I downloaded the .zip file and unpacked it with unzip. I got four .IMG files. Since all were 1.44 megabytes in size, they obviously contained images (.IMG=image) of the four installation disks.

To write the four disks I used RawWrite, which is a menu-driven, easy-to-use program. You can download it at http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm , but there are many other programs which write floppy disks from the four image files (Linux users may use dd, for example). If you get a *floppy disk* with INSTALL.EXE and other files on it, you've done the right thing. If you play with programs and write some files to your *hard disk* without using any floppy disk, no one knows what you will get in return.

If possible, create the four installation disks and install the game from those disks. I have seen a similar installation program (from Wing Commander) going nuts when one tries to start it from hard disk or CD instead of using a floppy disk.

I tried UU on serveral computers (with good old MS-DOS 6.22) and sound cards, but only a Sound Blaster 16 card in an old 486-class machine produced sound. A similar card in a Pentium did not work. So, if you have a problem with sound after installing and can't solve it with UWSOUND, start INSTALL again (this time from inside your game directory on your hard disk) and select PC speaker for sound effects. Better than no sound at all.

Sorry

You kind of lost me, I was able to extract the 4 images fine. But when I try to run the Install file it doesn't work at all. I'm not sure what you mean in the last post with the floppy disks and such. Could you clarify that for me?

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein
    ...If you play with programs and write some files to your *hard disk* without using any floppy disk, no one knows what you will get in return...
    Sorry mate, but that's just not true in this case. Underworld couldn't care less if you play it from a floppy disk or a hard drive. Given a choice, who would want to mess around with a floppy drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpast
    Sorry to forget to do that. I'm actually running Windows ME (I know, there aren't many of us). I don't have Dos Box or anything like that I'm just opening it in the MS DOS Prompt from the Start tab. What should I try next?
    The easiest way really for you would be to just download and install dosbox as it does all the memory management configuring for you, but if you would prefer to do battle with the dos shell in WinME, there's a few things that you have do first. WinME is one the more difficult Windows OS's to get this game working on as it was Microsoft's first real attempt at trying to distance itself away from it's DOS roots (which it didn't really do very well). As Config.sys isn't used by this OS, you will need to:
    1. Modify your system.ini file instead (do a search for it in your C:\windows folder). (ensure that you backup this file first, just in case).
    2. Open this up in notepad and scroll down until you get to a section titled [386enh].
    3. On a new line type in PerVMFiles=40
    4. Save this file and then reboot your computer.

If this looks like too much bother, just download DosBox (it's free) and I will guide you through installing it from that. The beauty of this program is that you will be able to play most of your other favourite DOS games with ease.

Awesome

Allright, I've downloaded Dos Box. Where can you take me from here?

No worries.
    1. Install Dosbox
    2. You will need to mount a drive to begin with. It will probably be easier if you just modify the dosbox configuration file so that it does this each time for you. Go into the folder where DOSBOX is installed ("C:\program Files\DosBox-0.x" by default") and open up "dosbox.conf" in notepad. We are now going to mount the drive/folder where you have those UW install files so that the dosbox prompt is at the location where you can install/play underworld. If the files that you extracted from those images are in a folder on your C:\drive, then you should add the following 2 lines to the very end of dosbox.conf:
      mount c c:\
      c:
    3. Run DosBox now and navigate to where you have your install files. E.g. cd c:\unzip\uwunzip Now type in install and follow the prompts.
    4. You will probably want to install it to somewhere easy to find. eg If your only partition is a C drive then you would choose c:\uw.
    5. For a sound card, the DosBox sound emulator works great for these games, so you might like to choose SoundBlaster Pro when underworld asks you which sound card that you have.
    6. Once this is over with, just type UW to play. You can follow these directions for UW2 as well.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here

I changed the Dos Box to propmt right to my C drive perfectly, but can't seem to get the next part (step 3) of your directions to work. My UU files are all located in a folder right on my C drive called Ultima Underworld then another folder called UW. When Dos Box opens I typed in:

c:\ultima underworld\uw

I hit enter and get the response "Illegal command: ultima."

Then I tried to type this in:

cd c:\ultima underworld\uw

I hit enter again and got a response saying "unable to change to: c\ultima underworld\uw

I'm guessing that I just missed something and am making a silly mistake, but I've got no idea. What am I doing wrong here?

It's confused by the space in "ultima underworld". It thinks you are running a command "c:\ultima" and supplying it with the command-line argument "underworld\uw".

You can probably use an escape character to allow it to accept that space (or perhaps just quote the whole command?), but the simplest thing for you to do is rename the "ultima underworld" directory so that it has no spaces in it.

It should probably also be eight or less characters long (although DOSBox might support longer names). Basically when dealing with DOS, you should always stick to 8.3 format filenames (i.e. eight characters for the first part of the name, and a three-character extension for files that use them).

I suggest "uuw".

WOW

Before I bow down and praise you two mods I need to ask one more thing....

I got everything running perfectly. The game runs smooth and has all its sound. My one question is this: Is there a way that I can maximize the Dos Box window from the tiny minimized one it opens in?

Nevermind

Don't worry about it actually, I figured it out. Just had to hit Alt Enter.

Thank you all so much. I can't thank you enough for being so helpful. This game really is the greatest ever made, so thanks for getting me back to playing this classic game I have such great memories of. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH.

Your welcome. If you want to run DosBox maximised each time, you can edit dosbox.conf and change the fullscreen=false entry to fullscreen=true instead.

FYI, I had to change cycles=3000 to cycles=6000 to get UW2 to run more smoothly.

Before I bow down and praise you two mods
    I think I'll deflect my share of that back to twisty... I sure don't feel I did much by comparison! :) I'm glad you have it working at last!

Quote Originally Posted by twisty
    FYI, I had to change cycles=3000 to cycles=6000 to get UW2 to run more smoothly.
    If you want to experiment with the cycles value, ctrl+f12 and ctrl+f11 will increase and decrease the cycles respectively (the current value is shown in the title of the DOSBox window). You can also use ctrl+f8 and ctrl+f7 to change the "Frameskip" value which can help performance on slower machines, but it sounds like you probably don't need to worry about that one.

Once you find the best cycles value, make a note of what the value is and then you can edit the .conf file to make it set it automatically in the future.

There are also some DOSBox front-end applications such as "Boxer" which can help to better facilitate this kind of thing, but if it's just the one game you want to play and it's already working, you don't really need to bother with those.

Happy adventuring!

Last words...

You kind of lost me, I was able to extract the 4 images fine. But when I try to run the Install file it doesn't work at all. I'm not sure what you mean in the last post with the floppy disks and such. Could you clarify that for me?
    I wanted to tell you exactly what I did when I succeeded with installing the game, but I think I should have written some kind of summary. I did the following:

1. Extract four .IMG files from the original .ZIP file.
    2. Use Rawwrite to write four floppy disks from the .IMG files.
    3. Start INSTALL from the first floppy disk.

I got the impression that you did not create the floppy disks (step 2), but tried something else with the .IMG files and failed because of that. However, as twisty pointed out, it's not necessary to create floppy disks in this case, I've verified that. And since you have installed it successfully in the meantime, it doesn't matter any more.

Sorry for misleading or confusing you, this really wasn't intended.