TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stealth: BRAVO!

If it's any consolation, I can pickpocket gold and keys with a sneak of around 17.

But they have to be asleep

RarRar -- There are rules to successfully stealing, but the game doesn't train you on them. We thought it would be intuitive enough; apparently we were wrong.

Basically, in order to successfully steal, yes, you definitely have to be in sneak mode, AND have the transparent "eye" -- meaning you're undetected.

Here's what's going on. When you go into sneak mode, and the eye is transparent, that's the system telling you that you're completely undetected -- you can't be seen, heard, or sensed by an NPC or creature. If you AREN'T in sneak mode, it may look like nobody is watching, but you could very well still be detected -- maybe not seen, but heard, sensed, whatever. And if you're detected, and you steal something, the crime WILL be reported, you'll get bounty, and you know the rest.

Pickpocking is the exception, since it does a success check with every item you try to steal.

Hopefully that will help improve your thieving.

Is it possible to finish the game with a pure sneaking character? I just finished Deus Ex again and tried to play through it without killing any humans. This worked fine untill near the end, then you got lots of big fights and almost no way to avoid them. Does oblivion suffer from the same flaw?

I feel pretty safe saying that you will have to fight in Oblivion. Even if you just ignored everything else and followed the main quest. I don't you think you could avoid ample combat without cheating.

I see the stealth in this game as a compliment to and not a sole means of the gameplay. If you havent played it yet, do yourself a favor, and play it. I'm at 90 hours on my first character (I had some sick days right after I bought it )

What Huckeye said. You will have to engage in combat, as Oblivion was never design to be that stealth-specific. So, you know, ghosting through the main quest was never a design priority; in fat, there are seveal places you HAVE TO kill. There was really no way around that.

BUT... you can certainly gain a lot from ghosting. I've gone through entire dungeons without so much as drawing my weapon, and I leveled up my Sneak skill as I did it. So I'd argue that while you can't go through the whole game like that, you can certainly employ total stealth a lot more than you can in most (any?) other RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by EmilPags
    Basically, in order to successfully steal, yes, you definitely have to be in sneak mode, AND have the transparent "eye" -- meaning you're undetected.
    Thanks. I've started just a bit of stealing here and there and decided never to grab anything unless I was in sneak mode. Even if I'm all by myself in the basement of some house. Filched a couple of bottles of wine last night. Then ran out all paranoid and talked to a guard to see if he'd do his spiel and haul me in. I think as I become better at stealth I might be a bit more brazen, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by RarRar
    Thanks. I've started just a bit of stealing here and there and decided never to grab anything unless I was in sneak mode. Even if I'm all by myself in the basement of some house. Filched a couple of bottles of wine last night. Then ran out all paranoid and talked to a guard to see if he'd do his spiel and haul me in. I think as I become better at stealth I might be a bit more brazen, we'll see.
    You can always hit the stats menu and see if there is a bounty after performing an action, that is a quick way to know if you are caught. Sometimes you get caught when maybe you shouldn't, but since the NPCs can come and go just as you can I have been embarassed many times with my head in someones locked box as they walk in the room. Since then, I have learned to 'sneak' regardless of how 'alone' I think I am.

Emilio, do you know anything about when a patch might come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Huckeye
    You can always hit the stats menu and see if there is a bounty after performing an action
    The bounty stat lies. Like a dog. I do not trust it. Clearly it is out to get me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234