TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: One source for buying Terra Nova

Shadowcat

One source for buying Terra Nova

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/terranovpj.htm

Price is US$10 + shipping (which can get costly if you're not in the U.S.)

Seems to be a jewel-case-only version -- does anyone have this?! and if so, how is the manual supplied?? (If it's on the CD-ROM, the manual project may be unnecessary...)

(We should probably compile a list of sources for buying Terra Nova -- it's much better to have an original.)

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

Brad Schoonmaker

That's the place I got mine a couple of years back. It was local at the time, though.
    I've seen it recently at EB, I think. I saw it somewhere when I was hunting down Thief Gold and Theif 2. It was probably an independent store, come to think of it.

Brad S.

Shadowcat

I guess that answers my question about a manual on the CD-ROM, then

Brad Schoonmaker

What?
    Confused am I...

Brad S.

Shadowcat

Well if you got your copy there, and the manual was on the CD-ROM, you'd hardly be contemplating scanning it to make an electronic version (nor capable of doing so, for that matter...)

Brad Schoonmaker

That's what I thought you meant, but maybe the jewel case version has the manual on the CD? Anyone know if it is?
    I wanted the full boxed game because I wanted the paper docs and not the digital versions.

BTW, did you get my email I sent you?

Brad S.

Shadowcat

Okay, I'm with it now I think my mind was wandering yesterday... you were even talking about scanning the box cover, so I don't know why I imagined you'd picked up a jewel-case version...

> BTW, did you get my email I sent you?

Yes indeed, but I spent all my time trying to get my Realms of the Haunting key-binding information dealt to, so I didn't get around to replying. I did have a quick look at the scan and it seemed entirely readable, which is the only real requirement

Brad Schoonmaker

What about puting them together in one file? That's the next problem.

Brad S.

Shadowcat

Well I finally remembered to actually look at the manual

There's almost no text overlapping background images, so I think we could quite successfully do this any way we wanted. Glancing through it, I still think a web page with embedded images would work best for online reading. For printing, a replica of the real manual would be nice.

My suggestion is... scan each full page at a decent resolution to give us our source material for whichever format(s) we go with.

Presumably we can subsequently give image files to your OCR software in order to extract the text from each page, and once we've done that we can edit the text and images to our heart's content...

Scan a couple of pages as a test, and see how successful the OCR process is.

------------------
    --
    Shadowcat
    One of Many

Brad Schoonmaker

I'll get my sorry butt over to get that manual, soon. I've been too lazy to venture out into the commute traffic near my storage place.
    I actually like the web page idea. I didn't think of that. DUH! I don't know nuthin about that stuff.

Brad S.

p.s. I guess we're the only ones on this project, huh?

Brad Schoonmaker

Your email address doesn't seem to be working, Shadowcat. I tried sending the first two scans to you and they came back undeliverable. Send me a message when your email is back up. Thanks.

Brad S.

I would be willing to help out in any way that I can. I recently ordered TN from CDAccess, but it hasn't arrived yet, so I have been playing the demo over and over again.
    Converting it to HTML sounds like a good idea, I would be willing to do that (by hand if neccessary) if someone would send me the scans. Even if my OCR software won't read it, I can always hand-copy the text and extract the images with the GIMP.
    If one of you could send me one of the scanned pages (ttlg@ancilla.ca) so that I can do a test-of-concept on it, that would be great.
    Of course, if the jewelbox version comes with a pdf manual, we can always use that once it arrives.

Found Terra Nova

For those of you in the area:

Alexandria, VA
    Landmark Mall
    Electronic Boutique

$1.00 each