TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phoenix Point

They said they're ready to refund a 100% of everything they got from people - this is over $2m in total. Want to take bets just how much money Epic were willing to spend to bribe them into Epic Store exclusivity if they can give back $2m and still be able to continue on? That also means that they made this decision fully prepared to piss off all the people without whom this project would have never been possible in the first place. This is disgusting. I was looking forward to this game but I won't be supporting those kinds of shenanigans.

I've backed a lot of KS projects and not many have offered refunds on the spot. I think they should have given those who backed it a Steam option, or a free Steam key after the exclusivity period passes. A year goes by pretty quick.

Majority of the KS projects I've backed told people to go jump (essentially) when refunds were requested.

Thing What Kicks
    That's what they've ended up doing after the backlash. If you backed the game, you get the game on the Epic store on release, a year's worth of DLC free, and then a code for it on Steam or GOG when the year-long exclusivity deal ends.
    Also, it wasn't a Kickstarter campaign, but a Fig one. And a few people have raised an interesting ethical conundrum related to that.
    Basically, Fig allows backers to invest in a project, essentially becoming shareholders. So the amount of genuine sales of the game after release could end up literally paying dividends to high-end backers.
    But in taking enough money from Epic so that they could have every backer ask for a refund and still be in the black (as noted by a developer), does this effectively mean they've stiffed their investors?

I'm not cancelling my pledge, but this whole thing has left a very nasty taste in my mouth, and it's unfortunately tarnishing Julian Gollop's reputation.
    Last edited by Malf; 15th Mar 2019 at 04:01.

Ah that's right. My bad. Backed so much stuff over time, that I lose track of which is with what. Majority were KS ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    Also, it wasn't a Kickstarter campaign, but a Fig one. And a few people have raised an interesting ethical conundrum related to that.
    Basically, Fig allows backers to invest in a project, essentially becoming shareholders. So the amount of genuine sales of the game after release could end up literally paying dividends to high-end backers.
    But in taking enough money from Epic so that they could have every backer ask for a refund and still be in the black (as noted by a developer), does this effectively mean they've stiffed their investors?
    Apparently, the money they get from Epic will count as revenue and therefore contribute to FIG investors' returns. So effectively this means the investors probably got the best end out of this deal, since the negative publicity doesn't affect them directly.

Moderator and Priest
    This doesn't really bother me that much. Sure, it's annoying, I wanted to get it on GOG, but I can't fault a developer for wanting to get more money to make their game, especially when they don't have to compromise much except what storefront you're using.

And suffer the huge backwash of vitriol from the hordes of toxic players in places like /r/pcgaming.

So I went through their AMA and a few articles and speculation on various forums, and I basically got the following out of it:

* Snapshot Games first approached Epic about putting the game on Epic's store, at which point Epic presumably offered them the deal.
    * They signed an NDA before negotiations started, which they say is the reason they didn't tell backers about the deal beforehand.
    * The deal apparently guarantees a minimum amount of sales on the store. What that amount is nobody knows publicly, but presumably it's more than they expected to sell on Steam. No mention what else the deal could entail.
    * According to Snapshot Games, the deal will allow them to continue development and support the game for several years, including adding some of the features not reached in the crowdfunding campaign, such as underwater missions. No mention how many is several.
    * There will be at least 3 major DLC given free for the backers plus some additional content updates. No mention how big is major.
    * The first DLC will be a sea-base/missions pack. Other content will include new storylines, factions, alien threats and game mechanics.
    * They will give some limited support for modding post-release, but not before the first major DLC is finished.
    * Apart from requiring the Epic store launcher to be downloaded, the game will otherwise be DRM-free and not require the launcher to run.
    * When it releases on GOG and Steam, backers will get to choose either a GOG or a Steam key that includes all the DLC released meanwhile. Don't see why not both, personally. It's unlikely to placate the most angry part of the backers, but people who are staying on board like me would undoubtedly see it as a positive step.
    * Refunds are offered through Transferwise, but apparently you can also request one directly from Fig.
    * About 3% of people had requested a refund by the time of the AMA and they expect it to rise to 5-6% in total.
    * Apparently, they have enough cash to give refunds to every backer, if needed. If it's true, it would mean they probably also got some advance money from Epic out of the deal.

Due to an error by the Phoenix Point team, I got sent a $10 coupon for the season pass for the game, which is available on their website (the pass). As I am a backer of the game, I get that for free anyway, so if anyone here would like the $10 coupon for use towards it, send me a PM.

And taken by Renz .

Moderator and Priest
    I will use this money to shoot the crab people.

And the game is out today. Installing as we speak. Been looking forward to having a play of this one. Expect to see video streams.

Some gameplay:

Overall the game seems pretty good so far. Though I still don't quite get how chance to hit works in it.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Though I still don't quite get how chance to hit works in it.
    It seemed pretty straightforward to me. 100% chance to land a bullet in the big grey circle, 50% chance to land one in the yellow. Think of it as trying to simulate all the tiny movements you'll make with your arms while shooting a semi-auto rifle.

Thing What Kicks
    I had a quick go last night, and was pretty impressed by what I played. While I backed it, I avoided playing any of the alpha or beta releases, so this was my first time.
    I managed to play enough to get out of the tutorial, and what has immediately struck me is that it feels more stable and less restrictive than XCOM/XCOM 2.
    It's hard to pin down what I mean by stability, but I always found XCOM 1 & 2 felt like they were on the verge of crashing. Animation that didn't respond immediately, long load times, the occasional stuck turn, those sorts of little niggles.
    So far, there's none of that in Phoenix Point, and it feels really slick thanks to that.

The management stuff is a little intimidating at the moment, and unless I've misunderstood it, I'm not sure I like the idea of skill points being shared between soldiers.
    But it's not enough to turn me off of it, and I'm very happy it's turned out so well

Same here Malf. Went in completely blind (besides watching one quick battle video a year or so ago). Just the way I prefer it with games like these . Did the exact same with Satelite Reign.

Thing What Kicks
    Yeah, same here, and I loved Satellite Reign, especially in co-op. I think the only crowdfunded thing I backed where I did take advantage of early access was Divinity Original Sin.

I've played Hades on and off while it's been in Early Access (I think the actual release is planned for early 2020), and it's a game where I actually enjoy seeing what is added, tweaked and otherwise changed. Was Dead Cells also EA? If so, I think I played that one before its proper release as well. However, these are games that you can easily dip in and enjoy, and neither has much of a focus on story. For me, taking part in EA actually added to the experience, because I could get a fun glimpse of how the games are developing but that's also because I didn't risk burning out on aspects that were frustrating or having the entire plot spoiled.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Was Dead Cells also EA? If so, I think I played that one before its proper release as well.
    It was. They changed a TON between when I hopped on and release.

So I'm quite a bit further into the game now, and this is excellent. Hard as hell, but there is just so much going on. And you get some damn fine upgrades for being allied with factions.

So much management going on, that I had to setup a spreadsheet to keep track of it all. Never had to do that, in a XCOM-like game before. Working out what classes to have per squad, what ships to use, whether to steal them or make them, what gear to make, what weapons to use with which classes etc etc. Compare that to the XCOM's prior, and they all did the tried and tested formula of hunting down xeno's, getting their gear and researching it. Then you get better weapons from there.

In this one, you don't get new weapons out of it. Or not that I've seen, besides a few instances. It's via your alliances that you instantly get whatever tech they currently have researched. Through that you get better tech and so on. But then the quickest and cheapest way to get more ships (having LOTS of ships and plenty of squads is essential in this game) is via stealing them from your allies. But then doing so, lowers your rep rating with them (gained bit by bit over time via missions and choices). Decisions, decisions.

And now manufacturing and research are all done on a global level only. So if you have multiple bases, all they do is lower the time it takes to do things (eg the more research centers you have, the faster research takes, and the same goes for fabrication plants which lower the time it takes to manufacture stuff). You also need to be out scouting for new locations, more resources (which you can trade with allies). All the while you need to be taking out alien bases when they appear, but your already juggling so many things which is why you need more ships and squads.

So much going on. I've noticed that this is one of those games, that if you play it just before going to bed, then you'll not be able to get to sleep for ages as your still thinking about all the micromanagement lol.

And after posting the above, a few hours later my saves got corrupted on one specific mission. As soon as I'd kill a specific enemy, any saves done in that mission would be corrupted. Luckily I do have saves from before that, but I think I'll play something else for a few days (as Phoenix Point has been all I've been playing for the past week).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234