TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Dromed and HD Mod/NecroAge texture packs not compatible?

Dromed and HD Mod/NecroAge texture packs not compatible?

I enjoy using the HD Mod and NecroAge texture packs for gameplay separately of course, but when I use Dromed to create or edit fan missions. I have to open up cam_mod.ini and change my mod_path back to MyBowMod+.\TexturePack just to use the program, when I have the HD or NecroAge enabled, the program crashes. I never knew about this, but really? You have to use the original textures that came with the game in order to use Dromed? Isn't there a way to get the HD Mod/NecroAge texture packs to work with Dromed or do I have always switch back and forth between the original texture pack and the HD Mod/NecroAge texture packs? I find this really a hassle every time. If anyone has the same problem like me, I feel you. Technology isn't perfect sadly.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 5th Jun 2020 at 13:21.

In case it’s useful to future TTLGers: The high rez textures overwhelm dromed pretty quickly. I’d recommend downsizing them to 1024 or 512 on a side. Really, in most gameplay cases, you can hardly tell.

Honestly anything more than 256x256 seems a bit overkill to me

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    In case it’s useful to future TTLGers: The high rez textures overwhelm dromed pretty quickly. I’d recommend downsizing them to 1024 or 512 on a side. Really, in most gameplay cases, you can hardly tell.
    Yeah, true because Dromed has to render all of the textures in the mission and it's too much for Dromed to handle, it's not like Unreal Engine 4 that it can load high resolution textures. It's an old program that was made back in the late 90s/early 2000s so it's older technology unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    Yeah, it's an old program anyway, not like the newer level editors out there such as Unreal Engine 4. Like you said before on Discord, just move all of the NecroAge or HD Mod textures to the FAM folder in the Thief Gold/Thief 2 directories, but first back up the original texture files that came with the game. I will probably make a separate folder to put the vanilla textures in that for safe keeping in case if I want to go back to playing with the original textures again.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Psych0sis View Post
    This is a nonsense statement on its own. Appropriate resolution depends on the size of the object. 256x256 would be overkill for, say, an arrow, but for a screen-filling object like a banner or an object roof, 512x512 or even higher would be perfectly appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    This is a nonsense statement on its own. Appropriate resolution depends on the size of the object. 256x256 would be overkill for, say, an arrow, but for a screen-filling object like a banner or an object roof, 512x512 or even higher would be perfectly appropriate.
    I agree, 512x512 would be best to have the textures fit together without any jumbled textures looking weird.

ZylonBane
    Me: There is no best resolution.
    You: Yeah, [specific resolution] is best!

Sigh.

Does turning on "editor_disable_gdi","new_texpal_thumb_hw", and "edit_screen_depth 32" in dromed.cfg help?

Me: There is no best resolution.
    You: Yeah, [specific resolution] is best!

Sigh.
    Depending on your monitor's resolution limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Does turning on "editor_disable_gdi","new_texpal_thumb_hw", and "edit_screen_depth 32" in dromed.cfg help?
    Try experimenting, it depends. The game could behave in a strange way or could improve the visual and performance.

I think you misunderstand. I'm suggesting that you try that to see if it helps your crash problems.

The editor crashes with HD mods because it runs out of memory when you load too many high-res textures.
    I believe the reason for this is because it can't use the DXT compressed textures when it's running in software rendering, and so has to decompress them for use in the editor.
    This is mentioned in the modder's notes.

What I don't know if is if forcing the editor into hardware mode can work around this and allow it to use those textures. The documentation implies not, but it might be worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I think you misunderstand. I'm suggesting that you try that to see if it helps your crash problems.

The editor crashes with HD mods because it runs out of memory when you load too many high-res textures.
    I believe the reason for this is because it can't use the DXT compressed textures when it's running in software rendering, and so has to decompress them for use in the editor.
    This is mentioned in the modder's notes.

What I don't know if is if forcing the editor into hardware mode can work around this and allow it to use those textures. The documentation implies not, but it might be worth trying.
    I see, ok. Yeah, maybe that is one way to fix the crashing problem with loading the HD/NecroAge texture packs (separately of course) Dromed can't handle the stress of loading high resolution textures to render them all. It's like overheating your computer to make it run to the maximum performance limit of your GPU and CPU, but in a program way of it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    It's like overheating your computer to make it run to the maximum performance limit of your GPU and CPU, but in a program way of it.
    I have no words.

I have no words.
    Great, congratulations!