TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thin white boxes and other graphical issues with the demo

Thin white boxes and other graphical issues with the demo

So, I have tried the demo. Awesome, can't wait for the full game, ect.
    However. There are several graphical issues that I wish to put here in case there is someone here who knows what the problem is, and can help me better my demo gaming experience.
    I shall now describe them.

Yaknow when the demo starts, and it shows you the fancy animated logo thingies? I just see some thin white boxes with a pixel-length white line through them. But I still hear the sounds related to them. They also appear when my character gets hurt.
    And then there are the bats. They appear to me as fluttering blocks of black paper. I assume this is an issue with the transparency of the bat's graphic.
    And after the room with the orcs and the logs-on-a-chain, there's that big room with a broken staircase. Should it be so blindingly white that I can't see 2 feet in front of me?
    And when I see the water, it looks fine and reflecty and pretty. But when I jump in, everything goes flat white. The water's also flat white when I'm floating on the surface. Just halfway up my screen...

Thanks in advance.

is Best Pony
    It would be easier if you post your graphics card make etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief-Playah View Post
    And after the room with the orcs and the logs-on-a-chain, there's that big room with a broken staircase. Should it be so blindingly white that I can't see 2 feet in front of me?
    And when I see the water, it looks fine and reflecty and pretty. But when I jump in, everything goes flat white. The water's also flat white when I'm floating on the surface. Just halfway up my screen...
    The water behavior is a giveaway, sounds like you have a DirectX 8 card trying to do DirectX 9 features and struggling a bit. Turn off HDR and AA in the graphics options. Also check to see the rendering level, set it to DirectX 8 if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    It would be easier if you post your graphics card make etc etc.
    Right. Forgot that part.
    Might as well post the whole spec so we don't miss anything.

My OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition, version 2002, Service Pack 2.
    Computer is AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+,
    1.99ghz, 512 MB of RAM.
    Graphics card is NVidia Geforce FX 5700LE. Driver version 9.1.4.7, which is the most recent last I checked, which was little less or more than a week ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Banksie
    The water behavior is a giveaway, sounds like you have a DirectX 8 card trying to do DirectX 9 features and struggling a bit. Turn off HDR and AA in the graphics options. Also check to see the rendering level, set it to DirectX 8 if possible.
    HDR is set to "Full (If available)", and unchangable.
    AA is already set to none.
    And the Hardware Rendering level is set to DirectX v8.0, and the Software Rendering level is DirectX v9.0. Neither are changable.
    Also, all my options are set as low as possible.

Dark Messiah (full game) graphical issues

I had exactly the same problems when I tried to play Dark Messiah on my computer (Pentium 4 1.8 GHz, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200). I managed to play by setting the video options as low as possible (even though the gameplay was a bit choppy at times) but I couldn't find a way to make the movies work.
    I tried to force to game into thinking that I have a DirectX 9 capable video card by adding " -dxlevel 90c" to the shortcut target but that didn't worked either.
    Anyway, seeing as the game wouldn't want to work properly on my computer, I thought I'd test it on my friend's FX 5200 (which is known as a fully DirectX 9 compatible 3D card). Facing the same issues, I couldn't help wondering what would be the reason for their presence . It seems that all Nvidia cards earlier than the 6000 series suffer of inexplicable graphical issues.
    I can tolerate not seeing the movies ingame (as I could watch them separately using RAD Tools), but problems like not being able to see underwater anything except a blank screen or the effect caused by equipping a flamegold weapon (1 inch pixels on the screen) really affect the fun and immersiveness of the game.
    In Chapter 5, for example, there is at one point a switch underwater that you have to pull in order to progress further. It's very hard to do that without seeing where you're going beneath the water level. And not being able to use some of the game's most powerful weapons really spoils the experience.
    So, if someone more experienced has a possible solution to these problems or knows the cause of them, I'd be really grateful to hear it. Thanks

P.S. Thief-Playah, try editing your Dark Messiah shortcut's target so that it resembles something like this: "D:\Dark Messiah of Might and Magic\mm.exe" -dxlevel 90c . This will trick the game into thinking that you have DirectX 9 hardware (even though you really have ) and, hopefully, you might at least get the movies to work. Hope this helps
    Last edited by finalglyph; 28th Dec 2006 at 15:22.