TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission — Station to Station (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission — Station to Station (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Station to Station by Anonymous.

THIS MISSION HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN FROM THE CONTEST.
    Last edited by Yandros; 6th Dec 2018 at 11:49.

This mission is recommended to those who truly enjoy mazes. I didn't finish it - just not my type. The basis of the missions is that you're running around with a lantern, trying to find your way. There are a lot of single-brush rooms which make it hard to stay on the right path. If you're not good with mazes like me, prepare to run around a lot in circles.

Actually Im not so sure taffer. I played a lot of dungeon crawlers where you have to draw your own map. There's the thing tho. Those games have compass.
    This mission does not.
    Which is why Im leaving this one for now after walkin in circles despite drawing map for 30 min I'll try again later. But this shouldn't happen

You drew... map?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    You drew... map?
    here is what i scribbled while playing, but I still got confused in some parts because of lack of compass
    https://mega.nz/#!kpRQTYCA!T3Qd2QVmV...NDcEp1D3oVMY8U

i am not able to understand map i found 2 room with switches not sure what they do probably open a gate.but i got to room with 3 waterfalls in sewer i was able to angle jump to the side you cant access and it just took me to a reverse area of how i came down so not sure what to do

if this mission had a map it would be fun,but other wise no clue's/etc to hard

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    I made it through, and it's nothing but a troll mission...
    When you don't have a compass, make sure you always keep Garrett facing one direction, and if you have to run back always remember to turn back to the original direction as soon as you can. And once you understand a few design tricks, you can make your way through, mostly some rooms look alike, which makes you think you've already been there while actually it's a brand new room.

I appreciate any fan mission I get to play, but I'm passing on this one after 20 minutes.

If the author finds this sort of thing fun, hey, good for them...but I don't.

Yeah a compass would have been nice, or a map, or some landmarks, or some music, or.... anything.

Played it. And i'm pretty sure this is the worst FM for contest. No atmosphere, linear maze-y design, nothing really good. The only thing i found intriguing so far is... the beginning. After passing into the sewers a senseless routine starts. And it mostly goes until the very ending of mission from point A to point B.

I'm inclined to agree with DrK on this one. This FM seems intended to bore and/or frustrate the player.

Made it through in about 30 minutes. This has the potential to be a nice little maze mission, though it can certainly get frustrating without a compass, something to use as breadcrumbs, or unique landmarks.

Out of curiosity, I loaded the mission in DromEd afterward to look at the layout, and I ended up finding a scroll from the author explaining why their submission ended up the way it did.

Anyway, here's my advice for other players who don't have a good internal compass or don't want to draw their own map: at every intersection, always go right (or always go left, if you like). It may take longer to make progress, but at least you won't have to worry about getting lost from disorientation.

It's cool to use other people's work for your mission but at least change it up a bit more! Especially when it's multibrushes.

Unbidden Guest by Melan

Station to Station

Walking the Edge by Sperry

Station to Station

Last edited by DarkMax; 6th Dec 2018 at 06:30.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMax View Post
    It's cool to use other people's work for your mission but at least change it up a bit more! Especially when it's multibrushes.
    I think that's very forgiving of you, DarkMax. Personally, I think it's downright disrespectful. This is not inspiration, nor is there any evidence these authors gave permission to do this (the FM has no info-file at all); it's simply plagiarism!

There are apologies from the author included in a scroll (Books/English/acknowledgment.STR - openable via notepad), but they do not justify such a dishonorable behavior. In my opinion, the mission should be disqualified and excluded from voting, as it's nothing but a troll mission from an anonymous person. I don't mind the poor level design and boring gameplay (I understand that not all FM authors are skilled in DromED), but stealing stuff from other missions is not something I could tolerate myself. He could at least change it up a bit, but he didn't.

I'm gonna post a hot take, but judicious copying of layouts or being influenced by them isn't wrong in any way really.

But when your mission only has like, 2 unique areas that aren't just empty tunnels and you pretty much copy them 1:1 its a big :thinking:

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    If there's an apology then fair enough, however I managed to end the mission and never came across the readable ingame. It may be hidden somewhere in the mission, but honestly it doesn't encourage exploration to find it. Why not put the apology in a readme file !?

Also, using multibrushes is alright but at least try to heavily edit it, use it as a base, unless you have open authorisation from said authors to make a straight copy of their work. I have used multibrushes before, from OMs mind you, and always modified them to the point they cannot be recognised anymore, or they gave a hint of their origin at best. But this ? This is just laziness...

Inspiration or even copying layouts is fine, as long as you also include your own original ideas that make the section of the mission clearly distinguishable from the source of inspiration (which should be credited in the readme file). In the case of this mission, 95% of the room layout remains unchanged.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    After discussion with skacky and others, and at the request of the author, this mission is being withdrawn from the contest.
    Last edited by Yandros; 6th Dec 2018 at 11:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    There are apologies from the author included in a scroll (Books/English/acknowledgment.STR - openable via notepad), but they do not justify such a dishonorable behavior.
    This mission shouldn't have been submitted in the first place, that STR pretty much says it

Wow, what a mission. It took me just 27 min and still I tried to overcomplicate that with experimenting with switches.

STORY: 2

There is one readable and maybe one thief enemy standing in random corridor and that's all.

ATMOSPHERE: 2

Yes, I got lost. Which was probably intended. On the other hand there is no music, for most part there is no sound. No footsteps on the ground which is disturbing. And everything looks the same.

GAMEPLAY: 2

There are mission that hides being a maze (like city missions or catacomb missions) and there is this mission which tell at the beginning: "Hey, I am a maze". This is really basic maze idea: everything looks the same or nearly the same and only decision you have is: to go LEFT or RIGHT. After city mission with million paths all around like Rose Garden, this mission is nice refreshment. That's the only plus I can say about it. Because afterall this is pretty bad mission. For most part I was just running around empty corridors that look the same. In other words this is just walking simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    I made it through, and it's nothing but a troll mission...
    When you don't have a compass, make sure you always keep Garrett facing one direction, and if you have to run back always remember to turn back to the original direction as soon as you can. And once you understand a few design tricks, you can make your way through, mostly some rooms look alike, which makes you think you've already been there while actually it's a brand new room.
    Exactly, and thanks for that last hint, it helped me solve it.

Mini-walkthrough for those who are stuck but determined to finish:

* First of all, frob all those large switch control units once each (switch should be in the 'down' position). Most of them open portcullises.

* The rooms with a ladder going down into shallow water are key. After you go down into the water for the first time, I advice you to mark this room. You have a scroll you can drop, or if you crank up the gamma a bit you can afford to drop the lantern (preferrably lit).

* Find the other room with ladder going up. It looks exactly like the first one, but it doesn't have your marking, of course.

* Go up ladder. Now you need to find the next room with a ladder going down into water (you will need to frob switch units again). This ladder room is reversed compared to the first two - if you look at the ladder wall from below, the ladder is to the right. Mark this room as well.

* Find the other ladder room that looks exactly like the one above.

* Get up, frob some more switches and find a passage going up, through a (as of yet) unopened manhole.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 9th Dec 2018 at 08:51.

Wow you guys have a lot of patience.. On a side note, Station to Station is also the name of a great album by David Bowie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast