TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission Lord G (11/30/2018)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

TDP20AC Mission Lord G (11/30/2018)

This thread is for any discussion or questions related to the mission Lord G by Anonymous.
    You can download the mission HERE or HERE.
    The contest thread is HERE.

Please give clues instead of outright solutions when helping others and use the spoiler tag when you do this.

Remember that this mission, and by extension every mission made for the contest, is for THIEF GOLD. As such, do not load it with Thief 2! It is highly recommended you do not use the Enhancement Pack and/or HD texture packs to play this mission. It is also recommended you uncheck all optional features TFix comes with if you update to the latest version of the full executable.

Need a bit of help.

I found the treasury and got the objective to get the key, but I have no idea where that key might be.
    Last edited by marbleman; 1st Dec 2018 at 19:15.

Hmm regarding a secret area i guess,
    behind the fireplace in the party area, I cannot go down the ladder, and when i press crouch button to drop from the ladder, i fall and die. there is a loot there, but I cannot get it
    EDIT: managed to get down the ladder, but it required many tries and deaths

also regarding keys and stuff
    i got servant key, but it works only on that bedroom on the top floor. the gate to the greenhouse is locked (but I could jump across inside), and gate to some cave is also closed, but this time I cannot just jump through the wall
    SPOILER IMAGE > https://i.imgur.com/tVYk8E2.jpg
    I managed to stack up crates and get across, jumped down with luck and survived, saw the cutscene and all, but even tho i get the treasury key, I'm stuck and cant leave the place
    Last edited by mtk; 2nd Dec 2018 at 14:09.

I need some help too:
    when i get to the treasury and after that i walk to the "beach" in the middle of the road i was teleported somewhere else, its like city with abstract elements, how do i get out?

@Zaratul: You seem to be ahead of me, any hints regarding my question?

@Marbleman
    when you getting out of treasury arena there is a key close to the ladder, it opens a door to the right of the main mansion entrance

Thanks! ....and now I'm stuck in the same place as you

Guys I think I know what is the issue here.
    that 2nd treasury exit, beach and teleport to the city is supposed to be the ending, thats why it has shitty textures and all. but if you dont have 4000 gold (on expert) you cannot finish it and you're pretty much stuck..
    thats my hypothesis, so load a save before you got teleported, get all the look and try again

@mtk: I restarted the mission, and your hypothesis is correct. The mission is supposed to end there upon leaving the treasury but it won't end if the loot goal is not met.

I honestly don't know what to make out of this one...
    I think the premise is interesting. There is certainly a feeling of dread and during the "revelation," and the whole thing feels surreal as heck. There is also interesting texture work and some good environmental storytelling. At the same time, the game design suffers quite a bit. The mission being impossible to complete if the loot goal is not met is a major flaw. Placing so many AIs in a single room is not a greatest of ideas either. I'd like to see this concept being developed into a bigger, more polished mission.
    Last edited by marbleman; 2nd Dec 2018 at 15:35.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Here is a message from the author:

I am very happy my mission received a constructive criticism. By this message I would like to let you know I didn't spent as much time on my FM as I originally planned. That's why both empty spaces as well as some gameplay problems should be visible. After my FM was submitted, I already started planning a patched release of it, which should not be earlier than 1st of March'19. Due to changes made during last few days before contest deadline, the FM lacks a lot of testing. As a result, I've discovered myself some critical, yet funny (and really easy to fix) bug, just 1 day after release.

The reason I write this message is I am really keen on seeing constructive comments and advices from players and dromeders. While working on this mission, I've learned a lot, but I think I've learned the most during testing sessions. That's why I think the player feedback is the most valuable to me now. Together we can release a better, patched version after these 3 months!

IMPORTANT NOTE: To be clear here, I am not writing this information to explain myself and make the voting better. I hope my request is transparent and you will help me make better missions in the future!

Some questions for start:

1. How should I set the loot proportions in my FM? I suppose I made a big mistake here with existing proportions.

2. Do you guys think the treasury key riddle was too difficult?

Regarding the author's questions.

I think the loot goal was too steep. Even on Normal, without finding that one piece of loot, I would not have met the requirement.

The riddle was unintuitive rather than difficult; I thought that the door is not openable because it's located at the edge of the compound, so I never checked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I am very happy my mission received a constructive criticism. By this message I would like to let you know I didn't spent as much time on my FM as I originally planned. That's why both empty spaces as well as some gameplay problems should be visible. After my FM was submitted, I already started planning a patched release of it, which should not be earlier than 1st of March'19. Due to changes made during last few days before contest deadline, the FM lacks a lot of testing. As a result, I've discovered myself some critical, yet funny (and really easy to fix) bug, just 1 day after release.

The reason I write this message is I am really keen on seeing constructive comments and advices from players and dromeders. While working on this mission, I've learned a lot, but I think I've learned the most during testing sessions. That's why I think the player feedback is the most valuable to me now. Together we can release a better, patched version after these 3 months!

IMPORTANT NOTE: To be clear here, I am not writing this information to explain myself and make the voting better. I hope my request is transparent and you will help me make better missions in the future!

Some questions for start:

1. How should I set the loot proportions in my FM? I suppose I made a big mistake here with existing proportions.

2. Do you guys think the treasury key riddle was too difficult?
    Im looking forward for the patch

1. I think the 4000 loot requirement on expert, especially that its out of 4100 or sometin? Is very steep, I think if you dont find that secret behind the big fireplace you're screwed.
    Considering how big the place is, but many places actually have very little loot, I would make each loot worth less (like lets say drop down the number from 150 to 75), but add additional loot in in some places. greenhouse is totally empty, If i remember correctly, the roof also doesn't have any loot, except for the nest, which was very clever

2. I think the whole cutscene and all was nice, that def improves a score on story, I also felt a bit let down that the TREASURY actually holds no loot , I mean, cmon!

As you probably know I'm new to dromed myself, but if I had to improve your mission, except for things mentioned earlier I would:
    1. Def add more details to the layout, in the round room with stairs going up to the bedroom and roof, the bottom is totally empty. On The top floor, where lord G's office is, I would either disconnect them from each other, because that way the hallway and guard patrolling it is useless, or add additional guard that patrols interiors and balcony (so it gives the player some time to loot the place)

2. Regarding the party place, I think the amount of AI's would be fine, if they were scattered around, but what is more important, you have to give the player some ability to make the room dark! I saw some switched outside on the other side, but they dont really dim the lights out in the whole room. From what I know its impossible to enter the party room without alerting the AI's. I think calendras cisten mission, if I remember correctly made this work very well. You had lights you could disable, and the roof was tall and had wooden beams, so you actually was able to use the rope to crawl down on it like a spider, pick up loot and crawl back up Think of that.

3. Map. holy shit please, add a map I would love to know at least the exteriors around the mansion, before I go in. Other than that, I would check some AI's and ask myself a question, "if the player wants to pass by this place without drawing attention, how can I make it possible" because for example the archery training ground had that one guard behind the corner guarding it all the time, and place was lit to the point I'm not sure it was possible to sneak past him. I ended up jumping around just avoiding flying arrows, which is not very immersive.

4. Either reduce the amount of crates at the servants shack, or make the invisible wall around the cutscene area bigger, because as I mentioned earlier, i stacked them pretty high and actually jumped across and got stuck

I hope it helps

EDIT: Maybe it was just me, but that lever in the bedroom to unlock the treasury was IMPOSSIBLE to find, I remember checking every cranny, blasting the brightness to max, and I still couldnt find it. (super dark in there, maybe make anim lights and lever that turns them on?) Had to cheat with checking it up in dromed, and whats even more hilarious, even when I knew exactly where it was, it still took me like 2 seconds to stand properly to actually see it. Maybe its nice for a secret area, but for something that is crucial in progress, its very cruel, that's my experience.
    Last edited by mtk; 4th Dec 2018 at 02:57.

Huh, weird mission. On one hand it has an interesting premise, with some creative and good brush work along with unusual texturing. I had some fun, but I think the loot goal is ridiculous even on Expert and the fact that you can't go back from the final part doesn't help.

I think, this mission was really easy (excepting the loot goal). When I got a key it was obviously where to use it and where to go next. For the loot I found the way Thief 3 handled it good. Finding a certain percentage of the total loot for each difficulty level. For your mission it was nearly 100 % on expert, which is quite much.

The story was a little confusing for me. What exactly happend to Lorg G? Why do I got teleported at the end etc.? And when I read a book like a diary, I would like to know, who wrote it. Maybe I don't got it, but I'm not sure, who wrote the text in the books opposide the bedroom (which were quite funny btw.). I'm not even sure which sex the person had.

For the room with the party guests: it's a party! Of course they are all in one room. So for me there is no reason to complain about it. But some lightswitches wouldn't hurt.

All in all it was a nice little mission.

Interesting idea; but the mission feels very unfinished. It's enormous, but empty. The story doesn't seem to make sense and the readables need proofreading. The AI placement and challenge needs a lot of work. Definitely has potential. I'd be interested to see this again with about six months more work and a few rounds of beta testing completed.

I need help. I have checked the whole mansion few times and still I have no idea where is treasury. Also there is one area outside for which I need a key. Could somebody help?

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    I need help. I have checked the whole mansion few times and still I have no idea where is treasury. Also there is one area outside for which I need a key. Could somebody help?
    yeah, it was very frustrating for me as well

hint
    he mentioned his bedroom he doesnt really use plays an important role
    straight up spoiler
    there is a tiny ass lever on the floor level in front of the doors

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Here is a message from the author:
    1. The loot ratio is high but the real issue was that I went into the treasury and pressed on with 3880 loot because I was going into the *treasury* Surely there is at least 120 loot in the TREASURY - but nope.

2. Forgive me, but, what riddle? i found the small arcing which I think is NOT part of the T1/G experience, btw, then stumbled on Lord G key and had to figure out what it opens.

Overall I think this mission and any other iterations can/will be great from you, tho I was looking forward to getting into and exploring the area past the archway on the west side of the mansion only to discover that there is no west half of the mansion except for that lone archer all the way west

Heard a guard in the western part of the mansion and located him
    spoiler:
    on a balcony, managed to climb up there with crates, there was nothing but a bowman. Knocked him out but now can't escape.
    Reloading.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I need 70g to meet the 3500 loot requirement....... got the fireplace secret

i have this problem

if the mission starts , the floor or ground is black and only the guards have a original look like

Finished this mission on expert and generally agree with most of the comments made by other players. Overall I was impressed with the look of the mansion, it's aesthetically pleasing and the grounds are very well done, and I liked the translucent doors and the greenhouse, but in your update some greenery in the greenhouse would reduce the feeling of vacancy.

The mansion looks huge from the outside but there are only 3 significant rooms downstairs and 6 upstairs, I felt that I was playing in a inverted Tardis

There were just not enough guards on expert to make this mission a challenge, and apart from the party guests all being in one room there were no other AI's, what about having some servants, surely a mansion of this size would have a whole household of servants.

The plot was OK, but with so many tables in all the rooms there is ample room for more books to be lying around that could flesh out the plot and why Lord G was involved with the Mages.

A few more hidden rooms and compartments would also be appreciated, there was nothing of interest in the library for instance, not books to frob to open up a hidden area, a missed opportunity maybe.

Yes I was disappointed that there was no loot in the treasury seeing the loot requirement is so high, but if you placed a lot more furniture and loot around the mansion I could live with that. There are a lot of vacant corridors and empty areas such as the lobby, rich people like to show off their wealth, so a lot more loot please in the upgrade.

I assume from the author's comments above that this mission was tested, but I suspect it may not have tested as fully as it deserved as many of the comments posted in this thread should have been picked up before release, but if the author is also a new author and time constraints mentioned prevented not only finishing the mission but also it being fully tested then that would explain things. So make sure you get the updated mission fully tested over a decent period of time and you should end up a mission to be proud of.

Overall a interesting mansion mission that although is a bit rough around the edges has potential.

Some other things that I noticed, most of which are beta testing issues

1. You can mantle over the all the hedges and the SE gate from the from the front grounds into the greenhouse area

2. The female guest in music room gets stuck in archway.

3. One female guest is looking the wrong way making it almost impossible to get to the loot on the food table

4. When chased all the guest run away in a group all the way up onto the roof, one even did a lemming and jumped off the roof.

5. It would have been nice to see some purses on the guests, they are all nobles and nobles usually carry money cos they are rich.

6. The green chute where the eye is, is almost impossible to climb down the ladder as the chute too tight.

7. You can walk through the big barrels on east side roof, need to fix their physics.

8. Roof, east side. Higher NW roof area no sound propagation.

9. You can't frob the purple goblet (obj 786) from the bald headed guest, even after KO'ing him, thus 15g missing from loot.

Quote Originally Posted by radogoal View Post
    if the mission starts , the floor or ground is black and only the guards have a original look like
    Are you playing this mission with Thief 2 instead of Thief 1? That would explain it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast