TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission The Scarlet Cascabel (11/30/2018)

Great. It looked like Mission 2 was where all of the really fun stuff the story buildup was leading to. Certainly the whole red lady ghost you can see when walking up on the entrance to the castle/hotel.

Yes, mission 1 is just a small intro mission.

Version 1.1 Available

A fixed version of the mission is available. You can download it from the links in the first post of this thread. For now, please use only those two links. We will update any others as they become available. Be sure you are downloading version 1.1. If you've already downloaded the mission, please delete it and download version 1.1. Thanks for your patience.

Well, the bug is definitely fixed. I played it for about an hour and then ran into the same issue I did with King's Story where a stashed body caused game over. Going to have to restart the mission and play it like I did that mission and stash the bodies in a place no one will find them.

I hid a body in a corridor in the dark, and every time they passed him they would alart1 "what was that" but keep walking. Which I actually really loved because, I mean, I can see him really well, why not the AI a little bit. So I started stashing bodies as good as I can, which then became its own fun. Thanks again to Tannar and Pukey for this one.

Hello, and thanks for playing! So glad we were finally able to figure out what was causing the bug *whew*

And yeah, those AI can be a smidge touchy if they see bodies lying around. Thinking we might address that in the start of the thread though, so players know to be careful with that. Please let us know if you have any questions!

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank our testers, DarkMax, ffox, marbleman, nickie, Nightwalker and Yandros. Without their tireless efforts and suggestions, and especially their extremely thorough testing under severe time constraints, we never would have made the deadline, and the missions are infinitely better for their contributions. We thank you.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm still waiting for my paycheck.

Hi I have a question. I have several items left, which I couldn't find a use for:

- Bishop 1
    - Rook 2
    - Pawn 4
    - x 3 (I guess, but I didn't found it)
    - 3 pieces of stone tablet
    - and Dear Mister Jim Jim

Where do I use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I'm still waiting for my paycheck.
    Do you take mission loot sir?

I'm kind of stumped on what to do. Seem to have explored virtually everywhere (including THAT room) and have 2/3 tablet pieces and just not sure what to do. The proprieter's journal says he finds something spooky about the area overlooking the dining room but I can't find anything there even after roping all over the place, checking the tables down there etc. All that's left are cryptic statues with plaques, some of which have some kind of keeper stone key slot next or near to them but which I don't have anything to use on.

Quote Originally Posted by GUFF View Post
    I'm kind of stumped on what to do. Seem to have explored virtually everywhere (including THAT room) and have 2/3 tablet pieces and just not sure what to do. The proprieter's journal says he finds something spooky about the area overlooking the dining room but I can't find anything there even after roping all over the place, checking the tables down there etc. All that's left are cryptic statues with plaques, some of which have some kind of keeper stone key slot next or near to them but which I don't have anything to use on.
    Well, I found a way forward after writing this... hidden thing in proprieter's rooms. So I'll continue on.

@GUFF: Hint: search the proprietor's office more carefully, you will know what to do then.

EDIT: Ninja'd by you. :P

I can't figure out how to get out of the haunted winter wing. The clue makes it look like you do something at the dinner table but I can't figure out what. Killed all of the dummies, slashed at the table and nothing changed.

I can't figure out how to get out of the haunted winter wing. The clue makes it look like you do something at the dinner table but I can't figure out what. Killed all of the dummies, slashed at the table and nothing changed.
    The only place I found was by checking out the room south of the conservatory

Bigger hint: where the earth tremors have created an opening in the floor - still a tight fit !

Quote Originally Posted by xx Bla xx View Post
    Hi I have a question. I have several items left, which I couldn't find a use for:

- Bishop 1
    - Rook 2
    - Pawn 4
    - x 3 (I guess, but I didn't found it)
    - 3 pieces of stone tablet
    - and Dear Mister Jim Jim

Where do I use them?
    For the chess pieces take a look around the great hall - large, beamed room to the west of the front desk on the main floor.

Not sure what you mean by x 3.. can you clarify?

For the 3 pieces of stone tablet, take a look around the fountain courtyard

And.. for our Dear Mister Jim Jim.. there may be more than one way to dispose of that. Read some of the staff's notes and journals in their living quarters/commons area.

Ok so I finished, about 1k loot short of maximum. Really huge 2nd mission. I got stuck a couple times but it was mostly not hard to find out what to do. The optional chess pieces hunt looks like it'd be pretty maddening like Rose Cottage card hunting, so I'll probably give that a pass at least for now.

This is probably the most overall impressive and "wowing" mission I've played so far in the contest, and most of the ones I've played have been much larger than you would have expected in size. It seems also most of the missions are made with some sort of limitations in mind, which makes most of the ones so far more impressive. The training dummies thing was just as freaky as it was in Deceptive Perception 2. Was that an intentional kind of reference?

@ GUFF - not sure how far you've gotten in there. Have you already found the tall tower room that has a climbing puzzle, taking you quite a ways upstairs? That comes first.

After you have a conversation with Elizabeth's ghost, two new objectives appear. One of these is to retrieve her bones, which are in the room with all the dummies below. When you frob the bones, two double doors open, leading back to the conservatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    The only place I found was by checking out the room south of the conservatory

Bigger hint: where the earth tremors have created an opening in the floor - still a tight fit !
    And yes That is the way to leave the sealed wing once you have completed all your objectives in there.

@GUFF - lol, you ninja'd me. I just noticed you have finished.

Thank you! And glad you had fun

The training dummies thing was just as freaky as it was in Deceptive Perception 2. Was that an intentional kind of reference?
    Not a direct reference, but inspired by that one and many of our treasure trove of spooky FM's

This is by far and away the most impressive Thief 1 mission I've ever played. Maybe not my favorite, but it's defnitely up there with the very best. A true masterpiece of atmosphere and gameplay, with an excellent story to boot. You two were nuts to attempt this with stock limitations but that paid off big time. Just absolutely loved it despite the few issues (the door crash and lots of roombrush issues in M1).

Thank you, skacky!!! And thank you so much for this contest idea.. it's been quite an adventure, and a momentous landmark for all us Taffers.

I'll echo pukey's sentiments. Thanks for the kind words, skacky, and for making this all happen. A fantastic way to celebrate the birthday of our beloved game.

Congrats on this terrific 2-mission entry. Very well made.

I really liked the visuals and atmosphere in Mission 1 which could easily have stood as a separate contest entry. However it is inevitably overshadowed by the 2nd mission which is on a much grander scale and a much harder mission.

The hotel in the 2nd part was huge but the story development and side quests were more than enough to keep me engaged in the gameplay while continuing to explore. The general foreboding atmosphere of the hotel is eased, initially, despite various frights by the fact that the hotel guests and staff are carrying on seemingly as normal although the suspense hots up once the real quest develops. I effectively finished the mission after many hours of play but went back to see if I could complete the chess piece side quest although having searched what I thought was every inch of the hotel, high and -not so much low - I sadly admitted defeat and headed to the village 4 pieces short.

I am sure other taffers will definitely want to play this one.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast