TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TDP20AC Mission ó Making a Profit (11/30/2018)

Wow, this mission is amazing. Many times I stopped to watch how the city looks. Especially the view from top of mountain near the tower is mind-blowing. Riddles are interesting and story is great. And this is compliment from person that really doesn't like city missions. Good job.

The only thing weird for me was hearing sound from Maw in Lady di Rupo Manor.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    The only thing weird for me was hearing sound from Maw in Lady di Rupo Manor.
    If you have finished the mission: maybe the sound makes more sense now? It's a thematic hint to her allegiance.

Finally completed this! Really loved it.

In the end, managed to find: a gold plate in the washing up, a gold nugget under a plant in the cemetery, and a ring and bracelet in the caverns under the catacombs. This just got me over the requirement for expert though so there must be lot more loot.

Quote Originally Posted by vfig View Post
    Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

If you have finished the mission: maybe the sound makes more sense now? It's a thematic hint to her allegiance.
    Yes, I finished this mission. And yes, the sounds of the Maw are from cave under tower, but still hearing them exactly in the mansion is weird. I'm surprised that guards didn't freak out and escaped the mansion yet.

OK I'm stuck.

How do I solve the horns puzzle in the mausoleum? Garrett said he had to read something, but I've been running all over the place and I can't find any reference to it. I've cleaned out the Hammer church and the mansion, but if any of the readables I've found there hold the solution, it's too oblique for me.

@nicked: Hint: read the thief's letter more carefully
    Bigger hint: search Lady di Rupo's library.

Do you mean the weird tome that was in the mansion? I can't make head nor tail of it if so.

Edit: OK, having looked more closely, I can see numbers 1-4. Is there a method to figuring out the others or is it just trial and error?

This item has a diagram that explains the order for the first four horns (I to IIII) relative to the compass. You have to guess the order for the other three.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    How do I solve the horns puzzle in the mausoleum?
    Choose your weapon! Pick one of these options (but please don't read farther than you have to!):

Option 1. Solve the riddle under the statue.
    Hint: Each line in the poem corresponds to one lever. The robber's note you have already tells you which is the first lever, and hints at the second. See if you can figure out how they relate.
    Second hint: The Hammerite's treatise on pagan symbols might help you figuring that out.
    Solution: Each lever corresponds to one of the seven pagan elements, suggested in its line of the poem. Fate has caused physical examples of each element to intrude upon the mausoleum, in a way that lines up with each lever.

Option 2. Find the book the robber's note talks about, where his information came from.
    Hint: The book can be found in Lady di Rupo's manor.
    Second hint: The pagan Tome in her library is the book you need.
    Solution: The circular diagram represents the puzzle, oriented with North at the top. The lines crossing the circle and the annotations should give you order of the first four levers, and two possible answers for the last three levers.

Option 3. See if you can make the robber's own note easier to read.
    Hint: Unfortunately his blood has obscured the only really important bit of his note!
    Second hint: Maybe there's a way to get rid of the blood?
    Solution: Use water to wash the blood off the note.

Option 4. Resort to drastic measures.
    Hint: Explosives solve most problems.
    Second hint: You're going to need more than a fire arrow or mines to break the iron gates though. Who might have explosives?
    Solution: Bring a powder keg from the Hammerites' place, and throw it onto the slope beside the iron gates. Use a fire arrow to ignite it.
    Last edited by vfig; 6th Dec 2018 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Yes, I finished this mission. And yes, the sounds of the Maw are from cave under tower, but still hearing them exactly in the mansion is weird. I'm surprised that guards didn't freak out and escaped the mansion yet.
    The sounds are part of the ambient soundscape, rather than meant to be literally present. They're meant to suggest to you that something's a little suspicious about Lady di Rupo, particularly if you went to her manor before being told about the ritual.

OK, yeah I got there with Option 2, though I didn't understand how to work out the 5th, 6th and 7th, so I just quicksaved and brute-forced it.

I love Option 3, that's genius (and would never have occurred to me)!

Finished now!

I really, really enjoyed this mission, but I definitely think it has room for improvement.

I have to say, the biggest drawback in this mission is the scale of it. The architecture, while good-looking, all feels unnecessarily large. None of the lights appear to have a radius set, meaning there were a lot of areas where you're more brightly lit than it appears you should be. There was a lot of long lockpicking and a fair bit of keyhunt gameplay. My inventory by the end was so clogged with stuff that I ended up taking five minutes to dump everything I wasn't using. There were a lot of readables which felt needlessly long without providing any hints, just backstory. All these elements conspired to turn the mission into quite a slog and undermine the pacing of the story, and it feels weirdly like the whole thing was designed to ensure it takes a long time to play.

If it sounds like I'm being harsh and rattling off a laundry list of complaints it's only because, at it's core, this is a fantastic, fun mission with a great setting, intriguing and gradually unfolding story, some clever puzzles, good quality writing and awesome voice acting. It feels like it's being held back by a bloated design; but ultimately it's clear that a huge amount of love, hard work and dedication went into making this!

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I love Option 3, that's genius (and would never have occurred to me)!
    I have to credit prjames for that idea—it didn't occur to me either. He reported trying it in an early beta test, and I thought it was such a genius idea that I just had to make it work!

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the mission despite some bits irking.
    Last edited by vfig; 6th Dec 2018 at 21:03.

Option 3 is so in-keeping with the spirit of Thief and LGS Legacy. That's the kind of "It should work, so it does" that Immersive Sims are built on.

What kind of trouble? Is there perhaps something wrong in how I packaged the mission?
    No, DarkLoader installed it in the corresponding folders. I found a file named fm.cfg with the lines
    -- RESOURCES --
    ;
    ; Fall back to 'english' resources if they
    ; are not available for the language in the
    ; 'language' config setting
    variant_path english
    Changed that into german and it worked fine (after a new start, no reload of a save file, but it was anyway at the beginning).

I hope you made sure he got back home safely, and didn't get caught by the Hammerites as he made his escape!
    Yes he did. Seems he had chosen the right moment to pass between the Hammer guards to return to his shed.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Quote Originally Posted by zappen View Post
    No, DarkLoader installed it in the corresponding folders. I found a file named fm.cfg with the lines
    Changed that into german and it worked fine (after a new start, no reload of a save file, but it was anyway at the beginning).
    Ah. Well I have no idea what mangling Darkloader did to the mission that broke it. As the readme says, Darkloader isnít supported. But good for you if you want to use it anyway and are able to fix any problems you encounter with it!

Stuck at the hammerites I have the sanctuary key but it won't open the metal doors at the bottom of the stairs. Where can I find a key for those?

Quote Originally Posted by maga View Post
    Stuck at the hammerites I have the sanctuary key but it won't open the metal doors at the bottom of the stairs. Where can I find a key for those?
    Hint: Try looking around upstairs
    Answer: The key is on the desk in the Priestís room

I cant find the safe key or get past the fishmonger since i cant find that key either.

Focus on your other objectives for now. You'll be able to access both of them later.

I have both the items. Only 2 objectives left are to turn in items for payment then head back to the docks.

Did you try to get your payment yet? The door behind the fishmonger should automatically unlock when you approach with both items in tow.

i did option 3 i had no idea there was any other way :P

and yes i let the zombie live as it was over all friendly

Ive Finished this mission. By far my favorite mission so far .

It wasn't bad. Lot of empty space where not a lot is going on, and the loot hunting issue to finish the objectives but overall pretty good. Didn't get stuck on any objectives besides meeting the loot value. I liked some of the details such as being able to wash the bloody note so you can read it. Not sure I've seen that in a mission before, but I figured since it worked in other contexts I'd try it.

I'm in the Argaux's place and I have no idea what I can find out ?
    there are wooden plates and lock on the wall, there is no key to open this.
    What to do in this place
    How to make this objective done ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast