TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PC for Thief FM'S advice wanted

I erased this post. It had PC specs, but I think I gave incorrect info. Evidently the memory is worse than I thought. Sorry. Will put dxdiag on a post as soon as I can.
    Last edited by harley; 4th Mar 2019 at 20:47.

Sorry to make such a long post. If all of it is not needed, let me or a model know and I'll try to delete what isn't needed. Also, there isn't any personal info is there? If so please let me know. Thanks.

I cant recall why we used the processor in this one, probably because the ryzen r5 wouldn't work just plug n play at first. We bought this one to see if we had a bad processor. Some of the packages weren't pristine by any means when they showed up.

If it should be upgraded, while doing a video card, I am ok with that too. Looking for suggestions. Basically I'd like to have the PC parts to be equally matched(or close) for what it is. No bottlenecks, or useless overpowered components. Hope that makes sense. No 2000 video card when a 150 will do, and no 10 card, where a 200 is needed. If that's possible. Thank you.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 3/4/2019, 17:34:38
    Machine name: DESKTOP-MHCFTVK
    Machine Id: {3719F04F-ED79-4F79-870F-E475E946CACD}
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: 0805 (type: UEFI)
    Processor: AMD A8-9600 RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G (4 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 15804MB RAM
    Page File: 6903MB used, 11331MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

[/CODE]
    Last edited by harley; 12th Mar 2019 at 10:40. Reason: shortened the post

So this is the dxdiag of the machine that you want to replace? In that case Im missing something because it doesn't look like something that should have problems with Thief games + FMs. That R7 sure is not going to shake your ground but it should handle a previous century software without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen+Keeper View Post
    So this is the dxdiag of the machine that you want to replace? In that case Im missing something because it doesn't look like something that should have problems with Thief games + FMs. That R7 sure is not going to shake your ground but it should handle a previous century software without problems.
    No. This is the pc i want to use for thief and its missions. This is the house pc if you will. The current thief pc is a 2.1 ghz athlon dual core 5200+, 3 mg ram. etc. Dont recall the graphics card. It has the issues and is the one I want to upgrade. The dxdiag above is the one that would need a vid card. Processor, maybe? If the processor is a bottle neck and it could benefit from a little better one, I would like to know. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    No. This is the pc i want to use for thief and its missions. This is the house pc if you will. The current thief pc is a 2.1 ghz athlon dual core 5200+, 3 mg ram. etc. Dont recall the graphics card. It has the issues and is the one I want to upgrade. The dxdiag above is the one that would need a vid card. Processor, maybe? If the processor is a bottle neck and it could benefit from a little better one, I would like to know. I hope that makes sense.
    Ok, got it. Well, for a house PC, able to running Thief + FM, it's seems good enough. Don't try to play anything more demanding though, it might slap you in the face....

As far as bottlenecks... dunno about that, I'm no AMD expert, but at this level I doubt you should worry about it. Remember, you're talking about a PC that should be able to run a 1998 game + FMs. Any modern bargain level PC wil do.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen+Keeper View Post
    a PC that should be able to run a 1998 game + FMs. Any modern bargain level PC will do.
    not quite, if modern FMs and texture packs start to get involved.

anyway, the dxdiag pc is fine, pop pretty much any 2GB+ 128bit graphics card for about $120 in and you're good (AMD RX560 would be an example). assuming a full desktop, if not, a low profile card might be required, which will limit the options and increase the cost.

Thank you to everybody. I really appreciate the help. I have looked at a the 1060's and the rx560's.
    Tell me what you would do please.
    ASUS Radeon RX 560 4GB EVO OC Edition GDDR5 DP HDMI DVI AMD Graphics Card (RX560-O4G-EVO) 181.67

The 1060's I looked at are all refurbs, open box, or used in the same price range(100.00 to 200.00)
    Newegg is where I looked.
    Also if its overkill by chance, let me know. Thank you. Sorry I dont understand this stuff. I envy you guys that get it!!!!

Zombified
    that particular model seems a bit too expensive there - $180 can buy you better stuff. I'd just go for the cheapest one (with 2GB or more memory) available - no need to blow things out of the proportion when upgrading such a machine. also, you should check your psu for available pci-e power connectors, if you only have one 6pin, you will be limited at a rx560 class graphics cards anyway.

to make it short, if your have a pc case that can house a fullsize graphics card, and your power supply unit has a 6pin pci-e power connector, just grab the cheapest (2GB) rx560 you can find and you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    that particular model seems a bit too expensive there - $180 can buy you better stuff. I'd just go for the cheapest one (with 2GB or more memory) available - no need to blow things out of the proportion when upgrading such a machine. also, you should check your psu for available pci-e power connectors, if you only have one 6pin, you will be limited at a rx560 class graphics cards anyway.

to make it short, if your have a pc case that can house a fullsize graphics card, and your power supply unit has a 6pin pci-e power connector, just grab the cheapest (2GB) rx560 you can find and you are done.
    Thanks. I'll check it out and see what I can figure out.

not quite, if modern FMs and texture packs start to get involved.

Is there any FM with "modern" textures that bogs down a modern bargain level PC that I can try?

Zombified
    pretty sure Keeper of Infinity is one of those FMs that have little issue bringing an integrated gpu down to its knees. hd mod is also known to be not exactly integrated gpu friendly.

hdmod can be handled by a 680, even a 760, without a hitch, and it's hardly modern hardware. Keeper of Infinity walks a fine line between what Dark Engine can do and a total collapse, so performance problems might be caused more by the author going overboard with his mission, than the actual performance of a todays' entry-level videocard.

Zombified
    well yes, pretty much any graphics card that a 100 or so bucks can get you will allow you to run Thief comfortably, that's kind of the point.

I'd avoid nvidia in this case though, too much amd stuff going on in that computer, and you usually don't want to run multiple gpus from different manufacturers in the same machine to avoid trouble.

well yes, pretty much any graphics card that a 100 or so bucks can get you will allow you to run Thief comfortably, that's kind of the point.
    But that's what I basically said "Any modern bargain level PC will do." I've never suggested an integrated GPU, we're talking about cheap gaming rigs here, not casual PCs

At any rate I agree that he shouldn't mix brands, if he sticks to AMD he should stick to it all the way. I don't really know AMD hardware but an equivalent of a 1060 or even a 960 if he can find one, should be fine.

Zombified
    bargain pcs typically don't include entry level gaming graphics cards. anyway, it seems like that low power versions of rx560 that require no external power are also available (SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 560 45W), so things should be fine as long as his pc chassis can accommodate a fullsize pci-e card.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I really appreciate it. I decided to buy all new parts instead of stealing the "House" pc and getting her another pc. Its working fine so I'm going to leave it. Build one and be done so to speak. I figured all the extra work isnt worth it. Anyway, the parts I ordered had a lot of the recommendations that you guys gave here. Give yourself a pat on the back. I just hope it goes together without any hitches. Once again, thanks to all of you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12