TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 51015202530354041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1155

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Cotton candy

Nice. Townscaper 2.0.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Tomb Raider remastered trilogy sounds like a triumph!

Was waiting for my boy John to tell me how it ran on Steam Deck, and it's 90 FPS, so let's go! I haven't played any of these since the early 2000s, so I'm very looking forward to it.

Brethren
    Can't help but laugh a little at the PC, but apparently this is warning is shown in game (for Tomb Raider Remastered):

The games in this collection contain offensive depictions of people and cultures rooted in racial and ethnic prejudices. These stereotypes are deeply harmful, inexcusable, and do not align with our values at Crystal Dynamics.

Rather than removing this content, we have chosen to present it here in its original form, unaltered, in the hopes that we may acknowledge its harmful impact and learn from it.
    Not a word though about Lara and her over exaggerated anatomy!

I guess I'm at least glad they decided not to change or censor anything.
    Last edited by Renault; 14th Feb 2024 at 12:23.

Chakat sex pillow
    Back then, you only had so many polygons the 'puter could handle, so it made sense that Lara's chest was about four polygons scaled to the size of twin Matterhorns - how else could you tell she was a girl.

Brethren
    It would be hilarious if there was a remaster of Redneck Rampage, and it included a warning about it's offensive depiction of white people.

Chakat sex pillow
    There wouldn't be any need to, because Redneck Rampage was actually a documentary.

Tomb Raider Remastered is so awesome it doesn't have any graphics settings because it doesn't need them. Even when I set Steam Deck to run at 3 watts (as opposed to its default 15), it still runs at 90 frames a second. I saw lots of reviews complaining that the controls are dated, but for not having played these games in like 20 years I'm settling back into them pretty quickly. My only gripe is that the old graphics mode is only 30 FPS; I wish there was a toggle for full speed. Also, the overwrought content warning only appears the first time you boot up, not that it really matters either way. In any case this game is hitting me hard with nostalgia; I didn't realize how much I missed it.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Awesome, Sons of the Forest is out of early access in about a week!
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Of_The_Forest/

I'm holding out for Tomb Raider: Anniversary remastered. It's older than half the games that are getting remastered now anyway, and it's the best Tomb Raider game.

Chakat sex pillow
    A remaster of a remake might be a hard sell. And anyway, TR:A still plays well enough these days that a remaster seems redundant.

Brethren
    I'm just getting started on the Tomb Raider Remaster, but my first piece of advise to anyone playing with a controller is to go to the settings and switch to "Modern Controls." This will greatly alleviate any Resident Evil style control frustration with turning/jumping/running.

I'm actually most curious about how that works. So much of the older Tomb Raiders is about the precision of the controls, I can imagine there's plenty of situations where modern controls actually become a detriment.

My advice is to ignore that advice and use classic controls. The reason they could update the textures but not the geometry is that every piece of terrain is meticulously spaced to work with the original four-way controls.

That said, don't use a joystick. You've gotta go with the D-pad or a keyboard.

Brethren
    I'll experiment some more, and I'm still only on the first level, but I was having a tough time grabbing ledges and just moving Lara around in the proper direction until I switched. Guns were kind of a pain as well, it's one button to pull your guns out of the holsters and another to fire (and then another press to reholster), whereas with modern controls just pressing and releasing the triggers will holster/unholster, idk it just feels much smoother.

And I don't know why, but its fun being able to toggle back and forth between original and updated visuals with just a simple button press while in game. I find myself constantly switching it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Found a couple nice indie roadtrip games.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2171880/Albatroz/

Just played the hour-long Steam demo of this. It looks good, tho is too saturated and glitchy in places. The story keeps cutting to flashbacks earlier in the protagonists life. She's backpacking in search of her lost brother. Story is pretty meh. The hiking mechanics are nice tho, even Death Stranding-esque I dare say. It's an interesting game, will keep an eye on it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2681030/Outbound/

Outbound seems to be focused on more living the #vanlife. Could be good.

Brethren
    Quote Originally Posted by Renault View Post
    I'm just getting started on the Tomb Raider Remaster, but my first piece of advise to anyone playing with a controller is to go to the settings and switch to "Modern Controls."
    Well, shows what I know.

Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered modern controls are an absolute travesty

That's kinda what I expected. Tomb Raider's control scheme and it's level design are so integrally linked to each other that ripping out and replacing one half of that equation doesn't sound like it'd do the gameplay any favours. Once you realise that you're essentially playing a 2D grid-based navigation puzzle game that happens to have height differences, rather than exploring a 3D world in the modern sense, the tank controls make a lot more sense. I haven't played the remastered games, but went through the original TR1 and 2 recently, and found that once I got past the cognitive block of expecting modern controls, the control scheme absolutely clicks and feels great.

Chakat sex pillow

You know how when you were a kid and you used to have these pretend battles between your GI Joes and your He-Men and your LEGOs because you had stuff to hand and you could mash them up just because? Same vibe here, but while normally games like this evoke a 'so incredibly, stupidly bonkers it unlocks a kind of joy my inner child immediately recognises' reaction, this one just seems to stop at 'so incredibly stupid'. If you feel it's gonna be fun for you though, don't mind me, I ain't gonna hurricane piss on your kitbash parade.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like the idea of this kinda high-concept B-game. Feels very 80's. Tho I kinda get the feeling that once you get past the novel concept there won't be a whole lot to it? The Steam page describes it as a "epic action/strategy sandbox" which does indeed sound like it expects you to make your own fun. Also it's developed by the folks who made Road Redemption! That was fun. Yeah... this might be ok! Very very ok.

Warren Spector's magnum opus is finally getting a remaster and PC release:

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm curious how well those controls are going to translate to a normal gamepad. Never got to play the game back when it was released, but sure am curious still.

Meanwhile, I'm not a Souls fan by a long shot (just someone who appreciates them well enough when they don't piss me off, which is 5% of any given playthrough), but this Elden Ring expansion trailer looks, as they say, lit AF.

Because a lot of its shit is ON FIRE, you see. Huehuehue.

*cough* Anyway, some really striking images there. Someone getting his head sucked off, dessicated old feller pulling a giant sword out through his skull, and a poison-belching lion guardian whose entire design and movement seems to be patterned off shishi-mai Lion dancers. I have no idea what the everloving fuck they're saying in the trailer, and I also don't care, but that is some exquisite visual direction.

Shame about the games being inspired by dentistry, though.

Souls games are interesting in the sense that I tend to enjoy them more on subsequent playthroughs after having learned the nuances of combat and watching lore videos. I get that obscure storytelling is their style, but it's a bit annoying that all these games have really interesting stories with tons of detail and worldbuilding and you basically will never understand any of it unless you're willing to make a giant mind map to piece together all the bits of text from item descriptions and off-hand comments from NPCs that you couldn't possibly understand at the time (or watch one of the many excellent summaries on YouTube). I spent 100 hours in Elden Ring and I still don't know what an Elden Ring is (I know it's not a piece of jewelry).

Chakat sex pillow
    Part of the reason they're like that is, at least for Dark Souls 1, they designed the game first and then the story around it. For ER, they had GRRM flesh out some themes Miyazaki had in mind to create a foundational backstory for the world and characters, which they took and drew out into Elden Ring's design, so it was a bit more of a 50-50 approach there.

And yeah, Miyazaki prefers that style of making the players figure it out. He's also on record saying he designs games that hurt you because he likes being hurt, to paraphrase the bit from a podcast transcript. Now the overall vibe of that interview was pretty informal, but I get the sense that he's not completely joking when he says it.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Feb 2024 at 11:46.

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 51015202530354041424344454647 LastLast