TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts...

Chakat sex pillow
    Maybe they feel you've got something to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Maybe they feel you've got something to learn.
    Maybe it's my punishment for getting bad grades in grammar school. Maybe I should have done poorly in college so I would get professors instead.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hot take: if you grew up watching Cheers, Adventure Time is 150% more affecting as a show to you.

Also The Good Place, but for very different reasons.

I was humming a tune the other day and knew it was a show from my childhood but couldn't remember what. Then of course it came back to me as everything does. The multi colored squares with action scenes mixed in... MANNIX! One of my dads favorites. I thought I would see who had it now and it is on Prime. It was a detective show that ran from 67 to 75 right in the heart of the muscle car era and man did it have some great ones. There was an Olds Toronado one off convertible, a Dodge dart convertible, a couple years of Cuda convertibles, a Dodge Challenger (oddly not a convertible but a sun roof), a Grand Torino, Caprice convertible, and a Camero. Also a 65 GTO kept popping up. Must have been one of the producers. Man this was a great show for cars. George Barris customized many of the early ones.

I don't think I've ever even seen a convertible Toronado before.

But my favorite was his Cuda.

The show was okay in that seventies detective way but the cars were great in that seventies car way.

Do you remember any episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 TV show?
    I do remember just the music and some flashes here and there of some buildings, but not one single episode.
    I'm sure there must have been some muscle cars in it.

There's a game called Automation--Jason Moyer is the other big fan of it--where you design cars to fit different countries in different eras. But anyway, after playing with that game some, it made me pay attention to US car history, but especially Lee Iacocca's Mustang and John DeLorean's GTO were two big landmarks for that period that interested me a lot.

There's a whole other dimension about their use in movies and shows. There was a whole genre of car & car chase shows revolving around them. Then again in the 1980s in a different way. We really haven't had cars play that kind of role in pop culture since then, have we? Like speaking of Hawaii 5-0, a new version is back on the air, but there isn't near the emphasis on cars like there used to be; or maybe that's just what I remember also. Anyway, it's always cool to watch those old shows now.

I'm tired but I can't fall asleep, so I thought I'd scoot over here and write something. Now that I'm here, I don't have a clue what I was going to write. Well, it was probably going to be something random anyways, something like what I just wrote, except less forgetty.

Do you think Bioshock Infinite is really as bad as people say?

Well yeah. The first Bioshock was supposed to be a spiritual successor to System Shock, but they pulled it off a bit. The pulling had started. They kept pulling, although people warned them not to. By the time they made Bioshock Infinite, they had pulled System Shock completely off the game.

To pull something off. You pull and pull until it comes off. To pull something off.
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2HKjvCSSuqM

Chakat sex pillow
    Do you need to take your meds?

Sorry?

Edit: Why would you reply to a joke with an insult? It's just hostile out of the blue for no reason. Unless you love Bioshock Infinite? Some explanation would be nice because I am confused as to what just happened.
    Last edited by Qooper; 22nd Feb 2024 at 03:34.

Chakat sex pillow
    I could have gone with the obvious joke about your post being heavy with masturbation, or Tourette's. I just went with the path less beaten.

--I did think Sander Cohen was pretty great, if it's any consolation.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Feb 2024 at 04:01.

That's just very inappropriate. You seem to have completely misunderstood my post. I hadn't even thought it could mean something like that. Not everything has to mean something sexual.

To pull off means to succeed. The first Bioshock was a successful spiritual successor to System Shock 2, at least a little bit. In the second Bioshock they had pulled out more System Shock from the game, and Infinite had nothing to do with System Shock. I don't know if you've noticed, but my jokes often contain plays on words and sayings. And I've just watched a bunch of those Steavin shorts I linked, which are, you have to admit, pretty phunny.

From my perspective it looked like you just randomly attacked me without reason. Not something an intelligent TTLG regular is known to do.

Chakat sex pillow
    To pull off, mentioned once, means to succeed. To mention the world 'pull' a further seven* times definitely means you've got a lot of something on the brain, more than one normally would, one might say.

Now, you can choose to be offended, which was certainly a possibility when I weighed potential responses to what I said - and I'm okay with that. You're free to feel as offended as you like. Fly off the handle, even. Just don't pull on it too hard.

*Or eight in total, Chuck.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 22nd Feb 2024 at 04:30.

I've explained to you what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    To mention the world 'pull' a further seven times definitely means you've got a lot of something on the brain, more than one normally would, one might say.
    You are adding this meaning, not me. You keep insisting on this meaning that comes from your mind. You can either believe me when I say what I meant, or believe that I am lying, in which case this is not a conversation in good faith.

Now, you can choose to be offended, which was certainly a possibility when I weighed potential responses to what I said - and I'm okay with that. You're free to feel as offended as you like.
    I'm not offended, I am clarifying what I meant. Of course I have to clarify when you twist and pervert my words.

The whole point was this: "By the time they made Bioshock Infinite, they had pulled System Shock completely off the game." Try reading my entire post from this perspective.
    Last edited by Qooper; 22nd Feb 2024 at 05:20.

El Pato
    Hi, I heard someone pulled out a leg. Anyone needing some tender lovin'?

Eyyyyy Mr.Duck! Long time no ocean!

Wouldn't it be cool if they remade Bioshock 1 according to Irrational Games' original vision before Ken Levine started steering it in the streamlined FPS direction? That'd be an awesome game, especially by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    I don't think I've ever even seen a convertible Toronado before.
    When we were in college circa 1991 or 1992, my friend from Germany bought a green 1970 Toronado convertible. His looked like the picture below, but with a convertible top. I think it only cost him about 4-5 grand and it was in unusually good condition too, with just some minor cracks in the seat vinyl and almost no rust. It was a very cool car. The 455 (that's 7.5L for metric folks) had a deep exhaust note, and at city speeds it just loafed along in 3rd barely above idle, so it was awesome for cruising. I remember a douche bag from the fraternity next door egged it at one point, and then had to pay to get it cleaned and touched up. When my German friend moved for work, he sold it to another friend of ours, who took it on a couple of road trips to Miami and Key West with some of our clique before eventually moving and selling it on. I wish I could have gone with them, but I was far away on active duty at that point. Last I saw it was around 2000 I think. I can't imagine what it would cost today. We had no idea that a convertible Toronado was so rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Qooper View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if they remade Bioshock 1 according to Irrational Games' original vision before Ken Levine started steering it in the streamlined FPS direction? That'd be an awesome game, especially by today's standards.
    I like to blame Ken Levine for a lot, but I'm not so sure about this. I recall the reason why they went for "Shooter 2.0" and "Say yes to the player" was a combination of pressure from Take-Two to make the game more accessible, and because some of their original ideas like the AI ecology system didn't really work out.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I like to blame Ken Levine for a lot, but I'm not so sure about this. I recall the reason why they went for "Shooter 2.0" and "Say yes to the player" was a combination of pressure from Take-Two to make the game more accessible, and because some of their original ideas like the AI ecology system didn't really work out.
    That would make a lot of sense. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading about them doing player testing, and when players were confused as to why the splicers fought each other, they made a U-turn and made the splicers fight only the player, except for a few scripted scenes and certain plasmids. I mean if they grabbed random people off the street for the tests (i.e. casual players) and if Take-Two made executive decisions based on the results, it's no wonder we got what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Qooper View Post
    an intelligent TTLG regular
    Yep, I'll take this as my signature from now on. If you dont mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamlorn View Post
    Yep, I'll take this as my signature from now on. If you dont mind.
    Of course I don't mind. I haven't trademarked it If you feel the title fits, carry it with pride and your head held high. And wear sunglasses, even during the night

But, you know, don't over do it, don't take it too far. Like, don't wear sunglasses during a surgery, or in an MRI-machine.

Edit: For a textbook example of correct sunglass usage, see Blues Brothers (1980).
    Last edited by Qooper; 22nd Feb 2024 at 16:11.

So Iím spending a couple of days with this woman and her three kids at a vacation house in the middle of the woods. I really like her, and I donít feel comfortable posting pictures of the kids but they react well to me and I think theyíre nice kids. Today my parents came over to meet her and on Sunday Iím meeting her parents. If this vacation goes well until Sunday then next time we meet Iíll ask her to become my girlfriend. Work is going well too. I feel pretty good about how life is treating me right now.

Thanks for sharing, Harvester! I'm very happy for you It's very heart warming to see you so happy!

You da man, Havester, of course the one beats the man hands down. There's a masturbation joke in there somewhere.

All I recall of Bioshock were some of the lines like "comeback, I only want to help you" while they were shooting at you. Amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    When we were in college circa 1991 or 1992, my friend from Germany bought a green 1970 Toronado convertible. His looked like the picture below, but with a convertible top. I think it only cost him about 4-5 grand and it was in unusually good condition too, with just some minor cracks in the seat vinyl and almost no rust. It was a very cool car. The 455 (that's 7.5L for metric folks) had a deep exhaust note, and at city speeds it just loafed along in 3rd barely above idle, so it was awesome for cruising. I remember a douche bag from the fraternity next door egged it at one point, and then had to pay to get it cleaned and touched up. When my German friend moved for work, he sold it to another friend of ours, who took it on a couple of road trips to Miami and Key West with some of our clique before eventually moving and selling it on. I wish I could have gone with them, but I was far away on active duty at that point. Last I saw it was around 2000 I think. I can't imagine what it would cost today. We had no idea that a convertible Toronado was so rare.
    I know what you mean. I never even knew there was one. A friends dad had a hardtop and even the that was uncommon. I never knew the Lemans GS convertible I had was only one of 12 left. Weird how you can lust after metal. Maybe that's not the exact word but it feels very much like that. I haven't felt that way about cars made past the mid seventies though. And there were so many in Mannix. Ones I haven't thought about for years like the convertible Lincoln Continental with suicide doors. A guy who dated my cousin had one of those. Great sound system. You could open all the doors with the top down and lay the front seats down for a sort of open pit area to party in. You were just always seeing a sixties Jag or a 56 Silver Cloud or any of my favorites in Mannix.

I don't recall much of Hawaii Five O beyond the usual "bookem Danno" and the odd plot device like how pineapple pickers lost their fingerprints after years of picking them. Nothing much memorable car wise. Also it wasn't nearly as violent as Mannix. They must have had an army of stunt men for it. Every episode there was ten fist fights and six gun fights and two concussions. Nobody could take that much damage without something being permanent. Oh the plots were a convoluted mess but you could count on explosions and car chases that jumped hills and came down so hard the suspensions had to be trashed. And everybody day drinking and smoking constantly. It was a different time. In real life it was too. Maybe not that extreme but we were somehow more callous and risky. It's hard to explain.

Anyway the gas crisis in 72 killed a lot of good looking but heavy cars. The sound and feel of a Holly four barrel kicking in on a 455 is a fond memory though.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast