TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

I regularly anticipate technical difficulties. My laptop is very old, like its owner, but both keep going and although the ISPs are overloaded with folks working from home, mine seems OK, which is not what I usually say about it. For some time I lurked and finally joined TTLG for the vibrant Thief forums and over the last week have been playing entries to the Thief Million Units contest. So far Iíve played 5 and already chosen the winner (as far as Iím concerned). Not sure when voting starts but a final 4 entries were released this morning so, stocked up with food for the weekend, onward to missions new.

Buckethead is one madass beautiful bastard. I love that I don't know who he is because that makes him everyone.

I've been getting into Buckethead quite a lot over the last year. The guy has crippling social anxiety, so it's not like the mask is even a gimmick. He'd have some kind of psychic break without it. But with it, I think he himself loses who he is, he becomes the mask, and this inner beauty and soul just radiate out of him unfiltered through his music.

I think his total lack of ego makes his fans fiercely protective of him, like he's this rare and vulnerable flower that you want to shield just so it can keep blossoming. And oh man the music that comes out of him, it's such a release of emotion and wit and beauty and stank faced funk power.

But what really rocketed him to the top of my list of one of the GOATs is when I started exploring his Pikes. Sometime around 2015 I think, he went completely independent and just started releasing a new album about every 3 days (at their peak) he called Pikes, and he just kept doing it for years. He brushed off Ozzy and Axyl & the rest of them and just made his own musical world all to himself (his theme park Bucketheadland, for which the Pikes are rides. BTW, the guy has obsessions you'll notice pretty quickly, like theme parks, Michael Jordan, & horror flicks, all just part of his enigma).

I think in one year alone he had over 120+ Pike releases. And when you throw that much up on the wall, some of it is just stunning. Even when some of them are just middle-of-the-road for him (which are still objectively awesome just because his technical chops are so incredible even when he's radioing it in; I couldn't say there's a single "bad" one out of the 100s of releases), you realize he takes the collection of them through phases and tracks refer to each other, and they collectively tell a kind of story where even the rambling, filler ones play a thoughtful role in the bigger story.

But man when they hit, they hit big, like the Pike he released in tribute for his mother (Pike #65), or this last year Through the Looking Garden (Pike #284). If you'll remember, I recently posted a link to Mel (the Indonesian shredder girl with the hijab) playing a cover of my favorite BH piece, Soothsayer (what Tocky posted here), just above the video of her shredding Metallica.

The guy is a bottomless well of musical ideas and emotions to explore. I recommend anyone into thoughtful music catch the fever. You won't be disappointed, and you'll never run out of great music.

Last edited by demagogue; 9th Jan 2021 at 02:01.

Last edited by Kolya; 13th Jan 2021 at 20:34.

Last edited by Kolya; 13th Jan 2021 at 20:48.

Last edited by Kolya; 13th Jan 2021 at 21:04.

Uyimbube Ė Solomon Linda

Time and deceptive circles. Iíd never heard of any of these artists but am enjoying playing everything. And one click leads to another. Iíve now watched Meg Myers Running Up That Hill in several different videos and think I get the significance of her caterpillar to butterfly transformation.

In my mind she and Kate Bush are both young women except I see that Meg wasnít even born when Kate recorded it, which itself was 8 years after Cathy was waving from a field in her red dress. Sigh.

Talking of musical bloodline, after listening to Buckethead who has loads of albums and Lucinda Slim who has loads of alias names I read about the roots of a worldwide hit back to the ďprimitive wailingĒ of Solomon Linda who recorded Mbube on beeswax in 1939. Shipped from Johannesburg to London and sent back on 78-rpm shellac records it was a decade before song-collector Alan Lomax gave a copy to Pete Seeger whose best guess at pronouncing the Zulu title was Wimoweh, later to acquire English words and be re-titled The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

By the year 2000, royalties were estimated at $15 million. Solomon Linda was sent a cheque for $1000. I believe he is the tall gentleman on the left. After his death the genre was popularised by Ladysmith Black Mambazo, who (I read) Lucinda Slim worked with.

In depth story at Rolling Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    In my mind she and Kate Bush are both young women except I see that Meg wasn’t even born when Kate recorded it, which itself was 8 years after Cathy was waving from a field in her red dress. Sigh.
    Speaking of Cathy: I finished reading Charlotte BrontŽ's Wuthering Heights to my wife at bedtime. It wasn't easy, she kept falling asleep. But we both quite liked it, despite the characters being as bleak, hard and unwelcoming as the moors, they had their share of entertainment value (like a propensity to strangle puppies in passing) and tons of dramatic feelings. After the book we watched 3 or 4 film versions and found the 1992 and the 2009 version both very good, both of which also depict the children generation unlike most other versions, including the famous Laurence Olivier version (1939) that Kate Bush's song was initially based on.
    Now whenever one of us need to be let in, we will beat against the window and scream: It's me, Cathy! Let me in! I'm so cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    ... whenever one of us need to be let in, we will beat against the window and scream: It's me, Cathy! Let me in! I'm so cold.
    HaHa! That made me laugh out loud. I confess I have never read Charlotte BrontŽ. So many classics I was going to read one day!

Edit: Ah! Apparently it was written by Emily. Which sort of confirms I have a lot of reading to do. If I can go round a second time I promise to do a better job.
    Last edited by Aged Raver; 15th Jan 2021 at 14:30.

Right you are of course. We tried reading Charlotte BrontŽ's Jane Eyre lately (which I found utterly boring) so I mixed them up. I'm mainly a fan of adventure literature (Jules Verne, Robert Louis Stevenson) but I have enjoyed a few classics. You just have to be ready to put them away when they get tiresome. Don't make it a challenge to yourself.

http://ritapayes.com/en/
    Last edited by Kolya; 15th Jan 2021 at 16:29.

BANNED

And

I'd sure like some other bluegrass/southern guitar music with a similar flavour if anyone can recommend. I've no clue about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I'd sure like some other bluegrass/southern guitar music with a similar flavour if anyone can recommend. I've no clue about this stuff.
    I posted a lot of Blackberry Smoke a while back. It that something you would like?

Have the distillers been posted yet? If not...

The only Pat Metheny tune I've managed to get into.

I was actually listening to this a few hours back because I finished Vice City for the first time a couple of days ago.

Edit: Actually, ignore me. Just realised that it's a what-if playlist.
    Last edited by Neb; 17th Jan 2021 at 14:11.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    The only Pat Metheny tune I've managed to get into.
    Oh man.

Never heard of this group before, but LOOOVE that!

What a trip!

SShock2.com

On some days, despite my general annoying personality of bile, sarcasm and acid, I'm actually happy

But it'll pass.

LittleFlower
    I love that song. It reminds me of Saint Etienne.
    Pizzicato Five have made records from 1985 till 2001. Are their other records just like this? If I understood correctly, this song is taken from an EP. Are there any full albums you recommend me to start with?

I remember dancing to Twiggy by Pizzicato Five back in the 90s. Thought they were French.

https://timeroomrecords.bandcamp.com...-lizard-wizard

Sometimes I like a soft sweet voice...

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    I was actually listening to this a few hours back because I finished Vice City for the first time a couple of days ago.

Edit: Actually, ignore me. Just realised that it's a what-if playlist.
    hehe, I think you mean the original

This

currently listening to:

Edit: now:

Last edited by Karras35; 20th Jan 2021 at 06:59.

This video for Cat Stevens' Lady D'Arbanville was shot in 1970 with his girlfriend Patti D'Arbanville.
    The video was lately released for the first time, 50 years later, in November 2020.

Page 154 of 158 FirstFirst ... 54104109114119124129134139144149150151152153154155156157158 LastLast