TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Fan missions crashing to desktop at start

Fan missions crashing to desktop at start

First time touching thief fan missions in easily ten years!

I have the entire anthology; Thief 2 with NewDark (whomever you are, I'm buying you a pizza). Now, the game runs fine. No problems there. I just can't run fan missions. I've used GarrettLoader, Darkloader and NewDarkloader but each spits me to desktop at mission start. The install and FM directories gave me some errors on GarrettLoader and NewDarkloader but it was all greek to me and I can't recreate them (is there an issue with running the game in the steam folder?). I've checked all the old scripts and all seem to be included with NewDark. Running as admin and compatibility mode doesn't work. I assume DDFIX is now obsolete with NewDark?

So what am i missing?

It may not be 2006 but I've got some catching up to do.

E: T2Fix. Latest newdark patch.
    Last edited by ganac; 4th Jul 2019 at 02:55.

Zombified
    lets try a fresh, minimal install and see where we can get;

- install the game
    - patch it with T2Fix, let it create FM selector shortcuts
    - extract the fan mission into its own folder inside the FMs folder
    - run the FMsel shortcut, double click on the fan mission

see if this works.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    lets try a fresh, minimal install and see where we can get;

- install the game
    - patch it with T2Fix, let it create FM selector shortcuts
    - run the FMsel shortcut, double click on the fan mission

see if this works.
    Thanks for you quick reply. It'll probably be a day or two until i'll be able to give it a go, however, you pretty much lost me after 'T2Fix'. I do not know how everything else works.

Zombified
    it's basic file operations - you take the fm archive (usually a zip), and extract it to a properly named folder. you move the folder to the FMs folder inside your T2 folder, that's the place where your fan missions are going to reside. the fan mission shortcut should launch the mission selector, and the mission should be available and clickable.

once you can run the fan missions this way, and find the minimal loader lacking, you can start to think about alternate loaders.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @ganac - Don't use Darkloader or Garrettloader, they are obsolete. FMSel is the built in loader that comes with New Dark, you might want to start there. Directions for using it are here. Other new loaders that work well are Angelloader and NewDarkLoader.

T2fix is a program that will take your vanilla Thief installation and upgrade it with New Dark (among other optional things).

Yes, DDFix is not needed anymore.

This step is not really necessary. All of your FMs should be in a folder somewhere, and you can specify to FMSel where they are. FMSel will extract them as needed.
    Last edited by Brethren; 28th Jun 2019 at 10:20.

Zombified
    people usually are familiar with (zip) file operations - FMsel functionality, not so much. but both ways will work, of course.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Not trying to be argumentative, but it's still an extra step that isn't necessary. When you download an FM, you either cut/paste into your "missions" folder or you have to cut/paste/extract into the /FMs folder.

Plus, if you don't have a folder with all your mission zips, you're losing some of the functionality of FMSel. The main screen gives you a list of both a) installed and b) archived (uninstalled) missions.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Brethren is correct. Don't unzip the FM. Let the FM Loader do this.

Zombified
    whatever gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    @ganac - Don't use Darkloader or Garrettloader, they are obsolete. FMSel is the built in loader that comes with New Dark, you might want to start there. Directions for using it are here. Other new loaders that work well are Angelloader and NewDarkLoader.

T2fix is a program that will take your vanilla Thief installation and upgrade it with New Dark (among other optional things).

This step is not really necessary. All of your FMs should be in a folder somewhere, and you can specify to FMSel where they are. FMSel will extract them as needed.
    uh yeah i am using newdark loader i was just getting a touch desperate!

Thanks for the help but I still cant run them. and after a fresh install I cant even play the game now. I'll keep at it for now.

e: darkinst needed to be tweaked. game runs

Trying to get the fm folder selected but fmsel tells me 'The archine path may not be inside the FM path blah' but the folder is empty...?

chose a new folder but it doesn't see any FMs i've placed

naturally a minute later i got them to show. after all that... still crashing to desktop

better solution https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...60#post2174260
    Last edited by ganac; 2nd Jul 2019 at 09:02.

Zombified
    very sure darkinst didn't need to be tweaked. anyway, if the base game doesn't run, then you have some other problems - share your thief2.log and crash.dmp (zip them up and upload somewhere, post the link). just to make sure - this is a fresh install, patched with the very latest T2Fix, correct?

archived fan missions can be placed literally anywhere, BUT the FMs folder (hence, my original recommendation to not mess around with the archives in any way, and just pop the extracted fm into the FMs folder manually).

Quote Originally Posted by ganac View Post
    nope. by doing that, you've completely broken your install with old files. I guess FMs may now work by sheer luck, but other things will go haywire. also, all FMs created with 1.25 and newer will not work.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 2nd Jul 2019 at 04:16.

very sure darkinst didn't need to be tweaked. anyway, if the base game doesn't run, then you have some other problems - share your thief2.log and crash.dmp (zip them up and upload somewhere, post the link). just to make sure - this is a fresh install, patched with the very latest T2Fix, correct?

archived fan missions can be placed literally anywhere, BUT the FMs folder (hence, my original recommendation to not mess around with the archives in any way, and just pop the extracted fm into the FMs folder manually).

nope. by doing that, you've completely broken your install with old files. I guess FMs may now work by sheer luck, but other things will go haywire. also, all FMs created with 1.25 and newer will not work.
    without them, it wasn't working, and now it does. Darkinst did need to be tweaked as newdark troubleshooting said it might and it did. if you can point me to the latest version of newdark that would be great. there are not any sticked threads or easy ways to point where it is located. thanks

e:and of course i found it 20 seconds later
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...60#post2174260

Zombified
    nope nope nope.

patch up with T2Fix, done (NewDark 1.27). as mentioned in another topic, no manual installing of files, no edits to cfgs, no putting your cat in a microwave - the auto patchers exist for the very reason of unburdening the regular user from all that stuff.

Southquarter.com/fms
    ganac - I've never had to mess with darkinst when installing New Dark. Are you by chance installing to the Program Files directory? That's a no no.

First things first, get Thief running. Install to something like c:\games\T2. Once that's good, throw all your missions into c:\games\missions and then tell FMSel where they are.

Where are you getting your Thief files from? A disc? Steam? What version of Windows are you using?

ganac - I've never had to mess with darkinst when installing New Dark. Are you by chance installing to the Program Files directory? That's a no no.

First things first, get Thief running. Install to something like c:\games\T2. Once that's good, throw all your missions into c:\games\missions and then tell FMSel where they are.

Where are you getting your Thief files from? A disc? Steam? What version of Windows are you using?
    It is in program files because I got it off steam, but it all seems to work ok. I've been playing for hours and have had no problem thus far. As far as I can tell the latest patch and enable laa seems to have made things stable.

nope nope nope.

patch up with T2Fix, done (NewDark 1.27). as mentioned in another topic, no manual installing of files, no edits to cfgs, no putting your cat in a microwave - the auto patchers exist for the very reason of unburdening the regular user from all that stuff.
    The only option was to install manually. There was no installer wizard or any automated process. I followed the links in the newdark thread. The release notes said to unpack the files into the directory. "Extract the contents of the "new_dark.zip" and "contrib.zip" archives into your T2 directory, and you are done." I had to edit the cfg or else it wouldn't work. Everything has been running smoothly for the last day with no problems

If you can show me where this installer program is, that would be great. thank you.

Look taffers, Imma go for the Bethesda approach. (i don't know why) It just works.

Then i'll charge you five dollars for a bath mat.
    Last edited by ganac; 3rd Jul 2019 at 23:36.

Zombified
    again, you download T2Fix, run it, and patch your T2 install, that will make sure all the required files are up to date. then you check whether the game runs. if it does, you try to run a fan mission using the built in fan mission selector. if they work, you can choose to also install an alternate fan mission loader.

did you even run T2Fix at some point?
    Last edited by voodoo47; 4th Jul 2019 at 02:18.

again, you download T2Fix, run it, and patch your T2 install, that will make sure all the required files are up to date. then you check whether the game runs. if it does, you try to run a fan mission using the built in fan mission selector. if they work, you can choose to also install an alternate fan mission loader.

did you even run T2Fix at some point?
    ....yes. I did....Thats why darkinst worked fine the first time... I forgot to run it the other times before patching...

'scuse me im going to delete my account...