TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T1 FM The SecretWay (2002)

T1 FM The SecretWay (2002)

Congratulations Hengist on this awesome theif 1 mission. I love the bright guard costumes and you have included all the right ingredients for a classic fan mission - a large mansion, cathedral etc. It is one of those you don't want to end and just have to explore everywhere. I am playing on expert and have completed all the objectives except "Break into Rarities shop on Water Street".
    spoiler:
    I am actually inside the shop I even took a trip outside the upsiars window and into the next building but the objective won't tick off. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Hey Ouzman really glad your enjoying it!

spoiler:
    really weird about rarities not ticking. Have you entered through the basement? The wooden door that opens out of the floor from the basement is the control device that triggers the objective - maybe try opening and closing it a few more times. I hope this is a fluke... would hate to think it's a bug.

Thanks Hengist. It seems I have broken into the pump room and not Rarities shop next door! How do I get inside? I can't seem to find a entrance anywhere.

It doen't matter now. I finally found it and completed all the objectives.

Fabulous

... a little of everything except for zombies. It became a real challenge to see how many redcoats I could knockout & still be able to later walk in front of the mansion gates without having the guards in front of the gate take off after me. Had to use the limited supply of water arrows very carefully. On the other hand, appears the street guards have very thick heads and that tavern can become a deadly trap. Found it curious though that when I released the prisoners the station guards ignored Holman but hacked the other one to pieces (yet they both exit the same way).

I enjoyed this FM so much that I've already played it twice on expert. Good work Hengist & your beta testing team.

Wow Thanks for all the positive feedback!

Yea.. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little reality for gameplay. I didn't think it would be fair to force the player to do something that would alert the guards. If the guards attacked Holman they would have alerted and then attacked the player on sight. So I chose the lesser of the evils - to make Holman one heck of a sneaky thief - hehe... sneaks all the way out of a police station full of constables

The other fellow on the other hand - you can release or not release -your choice - so in that case I thought guards being alerted was perfectly fine...

I just finished playing this one last night on expert. I got caught a few times, so decided to make it my goal to knock out every human and kill every non-human. I got everyone (without cheating) except the 4 guards in front of the mansion gates.

Seems like some of the AI were tweaked for better hearing and eyesight, no?

A question: There is building with a man walking around inside and you can grab his key through the window. If he sees you, he turns on the light. If you frighten him, he runs away. I couldn't figure out how to get in there. What did I miss.

BTW, I came up short of total loot by 265, I think.

Use the key you get from his belt to open the lock that unlocks the gate so you can get inside. Its on the wall in the dark on the left of the gate.

actually no... none of the ai is tweaked for better - some are tweaked down - to have less eyesight and hearing.

You can ghost that guy in the apartment - you just have to be extremely careful. Make sure he doesn't catch a glimpse of you and steal his key - then enter the apartment and steal everything - and blackjack him for good measure.

Also has anybody figured out the trick in the pub? There is a way that you can get all the loot behind the bar without alerting any one in there....

Umlimited loot?

I've only played this one for a little while but I'm enjoying the mission so far. It's my kind of mission: vast, lots of people to knock out and places to rob.

I have however come across a bug. This wasn't happening at the beginning but it started after I had been playing for a little while. I also don't know yet if this bug is repeatable or not.

Whenever I try to pick up some loot, the loot stays in place (on the ground, table, etc.) but I hear the "cha-ching" (loot pickup sound) and my loot total increases. I can continue to pick up the same loot over and over again and my loot total continues to increase, apparently limitlessly. I got more than 10000 and then decided to move on. I think this started happening when I got down to the area with a pool of water and 2 burricks and I picked up the loot there.

Then I continued and was in a building (I think the rarities shop) where I knocked out a guard. Then as soon as I picked him up the game died and returned me to Windows. Don't know if this is related to the loot problem.

At that point I stopped playing for the night. I'm going to try again this evening and see if I have the same problem. I've got a saved game before the problem started. Then I can tell you if I'm able to duplicate the problem.

Yikes!

I really hope that was a fluke! I'd hate to think you found a major bug...

Please update me when you resume playing - I really need to hear more about this.

And thanks for the heads up!

Weird! That definitely never happened to me when I was testing it. Hopefully, it's just a one-time thing that won't occur for anyone else.

Its certainly not happening to me , I'm just about done on expert and haven't discovered any bugs .
    Hengist what a great mission !! Hilarious new conversations [particularly in the pub ] , snazzy new uniforms and horny guards !!
    Oh , and a quest to find Callum's Jar . My son [age 7 ] who loves watching me play Thief was really taken with that as his names Callum

Worked fine for me too!

LOL!

I never thought of that! I've been substitute teaching for about a year now and there was a boy in one of my 7th grade classes named Callum (His father is Irish). I bet that's where I got the name - it must've been lurking around in the back of mind when I thought of it... and here I thought I made it up.

Ps really glad no-one else got this bug.... so far

Originally posted by Auriga2us
    Use the key you get from his belt to open the lock that unlocks the gate so you can get inside. Its on the wall in the dark on the left of the gate.
    I looked for a lockbox and didn't see one. I guess I'll have to look again.

Couldn't dupliate problem

Hengist,

Well, I went back and loaded a saved game and didn't encounter the problems I described earlier.

The only other unusual thing that happened the time I did have the problem was sticky burrick breath. I was in the water when the burricks belched and their breath was trapped on top of the water. It wouldn't dissipate; it was just stuck on the surface of the water. It was very soon after that I first encountered the loot problem. No idea if that's what caused it but that's the only unusual thing I could think of.

Still enjoying the mission.

That's a good sign!

Thanks Nick

Great Job!

Nice Job on this one, Hengist. Normally I don't like thief Gold missions as much as Thief II missions, but this is one where I make an exception. I have a couple of questions;however, First - I was unable to find the keys for a room upstairs and the two chests in the jar room. Second - Just how many red coat guards are there?? Some hints would be nice. Also, you really have to conserve water arrows on this one. I was able to complete all the expert obj, but it was tight. I didn't get to explore the whole mansion, but then again it added to the excitement of the whole mission realizing I had just enough equipment to get the objective completed and not much else.
    The problem is choice...

It sounds like you just needed to explore a bit more, Sap'em. Did you read a note about a secret in the Library?
    spoiler:
    If you go into the house Library and down the stairs, you can find a book to frob. Go through the secret door, up the ladder and snag the key to the Master's bedroom from the guard on the other side of the peephole.

The key for the blue chests is in the room that you didn't get into on the second floor.

There should be plenty of equipment. Maybe you didn't find some of the water arrows that are available? I always had lots during testing.

Thanks NightWalker!

Look here to find where there are more water arrows :
    spoiler:
    in the water pump area of the basement - there are two arrows in the pool of water - also in the chest in the security office are some waters - plus the supply warehouse in the town has some waters

Too many redcoats - sorry about that - it's always a tough balancing act trying to decide exactly how many guards is enough, but not too many. - at least you can black jack em all. I hate those guards in T2 with the helmets on that clang when you hit em...

Great Mission Hengist!!!

I am a little late at getting to play this one but I just had to tell you how much I enjoyed this mission.

I found a spot in the mansion where I could hide behind a bit of wall near an open doorway and listen. I would wait until a Red-Coat walked past, walk up behind him, club him, carry him down the stairs out of sight, go back to my hidding place and do it all again. I think I had 6 bodies stacked up before I even had to move. They just kept comming and I just kept KOing them.

I missed 150g in total loot somewhere but I love the way this one made you work for the solution but not so hard it got frustrating.

Major on this one!!

Thank you Hengist! I'm having a great time playing this mission. That water ride was more fun than Disneyland! Whee!

Thanks -

Love those Warm Fuzzies....

The SecretWay is a classic Thief mission with City streets, a Hammerite cloiser and a pompous mansion. It is stuffed with neat little ideas and it kept me engaged from beginning to end. Finished on Taffer in 1 hour and 22 minutes with 3110 of 3610 total loot.

I will list some technical issues I noticed, but none of these really detracted from the great experience:

• Some AI have custom voices. This made the mission more engaging for me as I got to hear something other than the same old clips. The voice acting, however, is not believable and has rather low sound quality. It pulled me out of the game world, rather than pulling me in.
    • The door of the guard post just outside the cell area of the City Watch clips into table inside if opened.
    • Holman's cell can be unlocked before his speech first triggers. The player then has to lock and unlock the cell again, otherwise Holman will not hand over the cloister key.
    • A tunnel west of the Hammerite cloister leads to what is clearly a black wall at the edge of the map. This is a very small immersion breaker.
    • The framed picture on the west wall in the entrance hall at Binford's is only visible from certain angles. This is a bug I have noticed in several other missions as well.
    • Many torches at Binford‘s are placed on walls with paperhangings. This seems like a firehazard. Maybe I am wrong, but I thinll electrical lights should be used on these walls.
    • When I blackjacked Lord Binford, he went down, but then immediately got up again, ran away, and pulled a lever to activate the alarm. When activating the alarm, he faced AWAY from the lever. Then he fell down to the floor again, unconscious. Weird.