TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Lights: What is the "inner radius" ?

Lights: What is the "inner radius" ?

I found this thread which talks about quad lighting, and there is a brief explaination regarding the inner radius.

Can anyone expand on that?

What is the effect of this inner radius (as opposed to just using the normal radius) ?

Does it just give you a more gradual change in brightness as you move away from the light source?
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

I understand it this way: The inner radius determines how far the light source shines with full brightness. Then it gradually fades to dark until the outer radius is reached.

Ok, thanks.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links

Zaccheus' hospital blog

I would like to know if when setting a light with maximum brightness 35 i should set the radius light also with the same value 35?

The inner radius should i set a value for it? trough the watcher explanation i don't understand how inner radius affects the light
    Last edited by Cardia; 10th Sep 2019 at 07:10.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    No. Set it to 5-20.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Inner radius is the distance away that the light is still at full brightness, so if you set it the same as the radius it will be fully bright all the way to the edge of the light's radius. That might look good for focused light sources like spotlights, but in general you want to do like Unna said and have it set smaller, so the light's brightness starts to fade somewhere between the center and the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Inner radius is the distance away that the light is still at full brightness, so if you set it the same as the radius it will be fully bright all the way to the edge of the light's radius. That might look good for focused light sources like spotlights, but in general you want to do like Unna said and have it set smaller, so the light's brightness starts to fade somewhere between the center and the edge.
    Ahhh now i understand... what about radius light? does the value needs to be equivalent to the maximum brightness? for example if i have 100 max brightness do i have to set also 100 to radius ?

The radius has nothing to do with brightness. Depends where you put the light.
    In an open area, 100 radius is big, in a street, it's too much, in a building it's way too much. 20-50 is okay. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    The radius has nothing to do with brightness. Depends where you put the light.
    In an open area, 100 radius is big, in a street, it's too much, in a building it's way too much. 20-50 is okay. Mostly.
    Ok thank you Unna, so imagine i have 35 brightness, it doesn't make any sense if i set a radius above 35? between 40 and 50? i should set a radius 35?

It's up to you and the situation.

Thank you Robin, i had read that post by the watcher before, and didn't understand well some points.

So using 50 or 35 radius for a max brightness is the same thing?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    No, as Unna said, radius and brightness are totally different. Radius is how far away the light reaches from the light object in Dromed units, brightness is the max brightness it will be within the lit area. In some cases you may want a bright light source with a small radius, or the opposite in other cases. It all depends on the context of where the light is placed and what the surroundings are like. I generally set brightness to 50-120 and radius to 10-40, but again you have to consider the environment and adjust it to suit what you want in terms of where you want light and shadow to be, and how bright you want the light to be in the lit areas. It takes some trial and error a lot of times to get it both looking right and playing right since the light gem is involved.

Thank you Russ, i understand better now, Dromed uses anim lights as well other light sources uses 40 as radius, maybe it's the value the most adequate for all situations?

Anyway i think i have my answers. Thank you Unna, Russ and robin, i will add you to the credit list for my next mission.
    Last edited by Cardia; 10th Sep 2019 at 16:12.

Dromed uses anim lights as well other light sources uses 40 as radius, maybe it's the value the most adequate for all situations?
    What folks are saying here is that there's NO most adequate values for ALL situations. Just start with the default values and change them according to what is needed, on a per light basis:
    - if the room looks too dark - increase the brightness
    - if it's too bright - decrease the brightness
    - if the light does not reach far enough - increase the radius, and optionally brightness too.
    - if the lights overlap each other too much and there's no shadows to hide - decrease the radius (and brightness optionally).
    etc...

See the visual results and test in game how the light gem reacts - do not rely on numbers only.

Thank you PinkDot, i´ll keep that in mind.