TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Old tools

Old tools

Clarification: Old tools as in software intended for map and/or resource creation.

Simple question: What old tools are still useful and which ones are now completely useless?
    Last edited by SilentDragon; 23rd Sep 2019 at 01:26. Reason: clarifiction

I used to rely on Anim8or a lot for 3d models, but it crashes too often in Windows 10 so I have since switched to Blender. I still use Anim8or to convert .obj models to .3ds for DromEd, though.

XSI Mod Tool is an old Autodesk program used mostly for Source engine games, but is highly useful in reducing poly counts in 3d models for use in the Dark Engine. I can model an AI mesh in Sculptris with tens of thousands of polys and then use XSI to drop it down below 2000 for stable DromEding.

I still use the tools in the Basic DromEd toolkit to convert models to .bin and .cal formats, however 3dstoBin does require some old 32bit visual basic .ocx files loaded in order to work in 64bit Windows.

I use the original version of Anim8or .99 I believe and its been stable on my Windows 10 pc. Also mine might have come with the older ocx files because I haven't installed any.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I use the original version of Anim8or .99 I believe and its been stable on my Windows 10 pc. Also mine might have come with the older ocx files because I haven't installed any.
    Interesting. I may seek out .99 and try it. I believe I have .97 and 1.00, both crash when loading textures...

I still find ParchEd really useful.

Actually my installation of Anim8or is .98 and it might still be available for download.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I still find ParchEd really useful.
    Me too, I use ParchEd for new texts or translations since the STR format hasn't been changed under NewDark.
    There is another similar program called StrConv, you have the choice.

I still recommend ThiefEdit although I guess other than PCX and GIF it won't display PNG or BMP graphics. It is still very effective to check all WAVs or to read all STRs in the RES folder. New created custom sounds can also be heared easily when they are merged in a SND.CRF file.

I also still like to use 3DStoBIN to convert 3D files into Thief's BIN format (or to load and change them), it is furthermore a powerfull tool. To view those BIN files the programm View is still suitable.
    Setting up the objectives for beginners might still be easier with the Thief Objective Wizard or GoalMaster.
    See the latest DromEd Toolkit.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Master Builder 2018
    I used to use StrConverter but find that I like ParchEd better.

I sometimes use BinSkins to find which objects go with which textures. I couldn't find a link to BinSkins but it's included in the COSAS pack here.

A few years ago I started a thread about the tools we no longer need:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146538

I got the idea when deleting the palette batch files. I realized NV must have spent a while developing them and their instructions, so I wanted to give them a good send off rather than just unceremoniously deleting them.
    Last edited by R Soul; 27th Sep 2019 at 12:59.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    A simple hex editor to open/work on bins.