TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Lost A Texture in cow file

Lost A Texture in cow file

Can't find the texture when I try to add it. I think it is because I took the broken stairs objects and put them under the boardup object. I wanted the broken stairs to be smashable with the sword like the boardup. So I set texreplace0 as fam/core_1/wdplnk2g. Now everywhere in game with that texture is Jorge, and I can't reload it, even after deleting the stairs. It says something about a locked resource. The only place in game where the texture existed was on the reskinable stairs.

Can I get it back somehow?

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Locked resource means that the texture is being used on a terrain brush.
    Copy the texture to obj/txt16 and adjust the path. Never point a replacement texture to /fam. It might be in use.

Sorry Linda, I slipped up. Could you move this to Editors' Guild please?

But Unna the texture is gone on all terrain brushes it was previously on. I deleted the stairs in game, and even deleted them in the object hierarchy, and Dromed still can't find the texture, even if I try to add it as a single texture.

Is it possibly related somehow to the fact that the stairs were slayable? I have other objects like columns where I pointed to fam, and they were in use on terrain, and this never happened.
    I see I phrased my second last sentence in the first post incorrectly...

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Is it a custom texture?
    A custom texture which wasn't assigned in the texture archetypes and saved as cow/gam can get lost. The texture is in the missing folder then.

1. Search for it
    in the texture archetype
    *my texture (always set * first to search something)
    2. in missing folder (it might not have a name any more but is #object)
    Then
    purge_missing_objs
    and try to reload the texture.
    When you try to load it again, what does monolog say?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Copy the texture to obj/txt16 and adjust the path. Never point a replacement texture to /fam. It might be in use.
    This x100

It's not a custom texture, it's from core_1 vanilla. It's in the texture archetype under wood textures. There are no missing objects. Purge anyway, message was : Deleted "Missing" Archetype and 0 descendant(s).

Tried to load texture, still: "Could not find texture"

I might replace Jorge (0) with another old wood texture for now.

In the meantime, all my other reskinnables with fam paths, I better drag a copy from fam to obj/txt16, or I could run into more of this?

All other fam pathways for reskinnables are ok for now. Sure this has nothing to do with the fact that I made those stairs bashable like boardups, then went in game and bashed them all?

Addendum: Maybe another hint here. After doing all these above things, I just tried to load core_1 family in general.

"Trying to SetData on a Locked Resource! (File: resimage.cpp, Line:2436)
    Last edited by uncadonego; 26th Sep 2019 at 18:14.

On a completely unrelated note this thread's title would sound quite strange to most people.

For now, I did texture_change 0, 173 to put in another wdplnk texture. I still wish I new how to free up the locked resource thingy though, I hope this doesn't bite me in the ass down the road.

Meantime, I'll move copies of all skin textures to txt16 and change the paths.

I moved an old texture from rescor_2 to txt16, and changed the skin to that. I optimized after changing the other Jorge stuff to wood texture. I saved and closed. When I opened it up again, now I can load core_1 family again. Whatever burr was up its butt, it's gone now.

unlock_all was mentioned in a search for Locked Resource. I've never had to use it but maybe it would have worked in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    I moved an old texture from rescor_2 to txt16, and changed the skin to that. I optimized after changing the other Jorge stuff to wood texture. I saved and closed. When I opened it up again, now I can load core_1 family again. Whatever burr was up its butt, it's gone now.
    This is what Unna and I were telling you to do earlier, pointing any replaceable texture at anything under fam is just asking for trouble. It used to work in OldDark but I have noticed problems with it in NewDark and so have taken to only using obj textures for replaceables.

Master Builder 2018
    I agree. Have had the same issues and now I make sure any replaceable object texture is placed in obj/txt16 and referenced there.

In one of the DCE missions where Polygon or Moghedian had done this (point at a fam texture) when creating the architecture long before NewDark, and when we went to test it (in NewDark years later) it was misbehaving, and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Usually, unlock_all will grant access to the fam textures to be used for replaceable object texture whether in use or not. (At least, it did for me for all of my FMs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    This is what Unna and I were telling you to do earlier, pointing any replaceable texture at anything under fam is just asking for trouble. It used to work in OldDark but I have noticed problems with it in NewDark and so have taken to only using obj textures for replaceables.
    I acknowledge that is what you were telling me. I was more or less reporting that it fixed it.