TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: TG & T2 Steam Issues

TG & T2 Steam Issues

Is anyone else experiencing issues with TG and T2 on Steam?

Water arrows douse flames but the illumination remains.

Switching off lights puts the bulb out but again, illumination remains.

NPCs are often getting stuck.
    Assassins mission for example, I'm trailing the two assassins and after crossing the first bridge, turning left, right, up the ramp, left again, up the next ramp (torch at the top), then turn right, they just stop at the bottom of the next ramp.

Mages Tower, I'm getting guards just walking into walls and then marching on the spot, same with Guild.

zomfg1234
    Why do you use the Steam version? It doesn't have the NewDark patch.

Because it's easier than digging out my discs. The game was running fine until a few weeks ago.

Brethren
    It's not like you can't patch up the Steam version just like you'd patch up your disc version.

zomfg1234
    I'm surprised it even worked at all. OldDark Thief is pretty much unplayable on newer systems.

The other reason I use the Steam version is that I can't be arsed changing processor affinity and rebooting every time I want to play TG or T2, they won't run on multi-core processors.

Brethren
    No matter what version you use (disk, Steam, GOG), as long as you patch it up with Tfix/T2fix, you won't have to worry about that stuff anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSlimGarrett View Post
    The other reason I use the Steam version is that I can't be arsed changing processor affinity and rebooting every time I want to play TG or T2, they won't run on multi-core processors.
    This is another reason to use version other than Steam - unofficial patches fix this as well as drastically improve game; its hard to use these on Steam version - for older games using other sources like GoG is much easier.

I have the patches installed. However, to run the games I have to use the CDs and the games WILL NOT run on multi-core processors.

Strange. This sounds as if the thief.exe or thief2.exe file is still the original one without the TFix/T2Fix patch applied. Did you really use these patches, or the old "official" ones from about twenty years ago (v1.07 -> v1.18 or something like that) or some unofficial fixes other than TFix/T2Fix?

Zombified
    or did something unexpected after patching (like letting steam refresh the cache). either way, it's literally these two steps:

-take some kind of data source that has intact crf and movie files (be it cd, dvd, whatever)
    -run TFix or T2Fix and let the patcher crunch through everything

run the executable in the game folder.

Any update from your side? Want to understand the reason of this strange behavior...

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Strange. This sounds as if the thief.exe or thief2.exe file is still the original one without the TFix/T2Fix patch applied. Did you really use these patches, or the old "official" ones from about twenty years ago (v1.07 -> v1.18 or something like that) or some unofficial fixes other than TFix/T2Fix?
    TFix is v1.23 and T2Fix is v1.25

Zombified
    can't imagine how you would end up with some extra old exe after patching up, but anyway, if you have multiple thief executables in your Thief folder, then run the newest/larges one. either way, lets try this again, because there is actually one more step I sometimes forget to mention;

-take some kind of data source that has intact crf and movie files (be it cd, dvd, whatever)
    -run TFix or T2Fix and let the patcher crunch through everything
    -run the new exe, and either start a completely new game, or restart the mission (and by that I mean opening the menu, and hitting the restart button, NOT loading a save you made at the beginning of the level)

The patches have been working just fine with my Steam versions of the games, but what I do is after Steam is done installing the game the first time, I then go and copy the entire game directory to another location on my hard drive, THEN patch that one.

If Steam ever gives me any crap over it (decides one day to encrypt the files, or lock it to only launching from the "official" Steam installation, eg) THEN I will just start using my GOG version. Right now, as little as I'm getting to play and/or work in Dromed, I'll just keep using my patched Steam version and let that be a future-me problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    The patches have been working just fine with my Steam versions of the games, but what I do is after Steam is done installing the game the first time, I then go and copy the entire game directory to another location on my hard drive, THEN patch that one.
    I just tried this, because I used to do it in the past, but, it doesn't seem to work anymore... the copied games start, then show a black screen for a second or two, and then crash to desktop. Weird. As I said, it used to work in the past... something seems to have changed.

Or maybe it's Windows 11.

The games work fine when I install and start them on Steam. Just not when I copy them somewhere else...

I just saw this as I was headed to bed.. But I'll check it tomorrow; I should be able to remember to. I'm curious to know if they've broken something. As a backup I also bought the two games on GOG for for $0.97 each. I figured, if worse comes to worst, I can always use those..

I really wonder what could cause this though. I'm not aware of any update which has happened for the games, and, they always used to work in the past, when copied to another folder from the Steam folder.

I still haven't checked; been outside un-decorating for the past 6 hours. Now I'm eating supper..

I just can't understand how they could affect a separate install though. I'm still gonna check it out... soon.

The only Steam related file I found in the installation is a file named "steam_install.cfg", and there only seem to be links to the root folder of the game in there, so, that shouldn't affect anything when copied from the Steam folder.

Edit: Could the "install.cfg" file be a problem? I see that there are links to the steam installation folder in there.
    Last edited by chk772; 1st Jan 2024 at 07:16.

I'm so sorry, I've been meaning to check on this, but things have been a bit topsy-turvy this week. One of our dogs died, who was a very special member of the family, and things have just been wrecked lately, like my brain. I go to work in a zombie-fied state, do my job, and come home. This has been the most painful loss I can imagine, and it's taking much longer to come to grips with it; but, I should finally have some time tomorrow to check on things. A broken wi-fi problem hasn't helped things at all, either.

Ok, finally got to test this out, and my T2 game and T2 Dromed installation folders are still working fine, no issues that I can tell. Launched both and played around in them for about 10 minutes and didn't encounter any problems.

Which is what I would have expected, since I installed those over a year ago and then moved them to their own separate directories manually. Neither require Steam to be open and running, they just launch fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    The only Steam related file I found in the installation is a file named "steam_install.cfg", and there only seem to be links to the root folder of the game in there, so, that shouldn't affect anything when copied from the Steam folder.

Edit: Could the "install.cfg" file be a problem? I see that there are links to the steam installation folder in there.
    I would think that is a good place to start. Sounds like you may have to manually edit that file to point to your secondary install location.. maybe. Just a guess though.

If you need me to, I can open up mine and see if that file exists and what it's set to. Honestly, I did so many things back a couple of years ago when I set this all up, I just can't remember all the steps I went through. But it's still working, so I'm not touching it, other than to use it or check something for you; I'm just not changing anything, unless I have to.

It seems as though it was Steam shutting down their 8.1 support. everything is working fine now on Windows 10.

Glad it's working for you.