TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Happy 25

she/her ⚧

Happy 25

Happy 25th anniversary, Thief The Dark Project. 🎂
    Hope everyone's well. 💛

Brethren
    Hey Dana, thanks for stopping by.

Hopefully you've seen this too: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152429

she/her ⚧
    Certainly! Some folks who I think are rather lovely have worked on it.

Zombified
    are the candles extinguishable?

for a second i though it was the portal cake, happy 25th to thief 1 the dark project

Happy 25th to Taffers everywhere, past and present.
    Thank you all for being such a wonderful community.

Happy 25th everyone!

Thief is my personal favorite #1 game. I have spent more hours with it than any other. But nostalgia or affection for something that gets you through bad times isn't everything. It's the quality of the base product that has kept everyone coming back all this time. Happy 25th.

Read about the 25th anniversary in Quarter To Three. I remember hanging out here way back then. My account was created in 1999! Good to see that TTLG is still going strong. Happy 25th indeed!!

I still have my favourite LGS games and boxes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    belfong, the self proclaimed german tourist

It's strictly 25 years, but the first demos of Dark Camelot, the precursor to Thief, go back to 1995, and the Dark Engine and Dromed must have been essentially in place then. Thar's soon to be close to 30 years, and I find that a little sobering

Many of us started as teenagers or young adults and are now probably sporting dad-bod

Hoping for people like Nightdive will continue to do remake. I havenít got a chance to play the SS remake but seeing the streamers playing it and the positive reception the game garnered is heart warming to hear. More people get to enjoy LGS legacy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    belfong, the self proclaimed german tourist

I was 28 when TDP came out. Glad I'm still alive and 83% coherent.

Happy Thief Anniversary Digi! I'm well. Estrogen has done wonders for my mental health.

If you'd like a hit of nostalgia, I just posted this over in the Black Parade thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Known issues:
    - Due to the complexity of the missions, there can be cases where some NPCs might get stuck walking against walls. There is unfortunately not much that can be done about this.

While working on Mission X, I used the Dromed command to display pathfinding cells, and used this visualization to make numerous minute adjustments that reduced the number of cells and formed more orderly patterns, chiefly by aligning object boundaries. I did this in order to make the pathfinding database build less likely to crash, but it had the side benefit of helping the NPCs avoid getting stuck on walls. It's an immensely labor-intensive process, so I don't suggest actually doing it, but you might be happy to hear there's a solution.

Also. For the younguns here. Trimfect and Digi co-created the first ever FM, Gathering at the Bar, in order to demonstrate to LGS that fans could handle Dromed. I believe the idea to petition LGS was Trimfect's, but the FM itself was a shared effort. Trimfect handled the gameplay, Digi the architecture.

Everyone here owes her a thank you.

zomfg1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Happy Thief Anniversary Digi! I'm well. Estrogen has done wonders for my mental health.
    Estrogen? What do you need estrogen for?

Curious to see how this community changes in the next 5 years, if there are any big updates like NewDark coming or if we hit our peak and now it's a slow death... who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by zomfg1234 View Post
    Estrogen? What do you need estrogen for?
    Alchemy.

Also, you didn't thank Digi.

zomfg1234
    I really hope a new FM editor comes out so that it's much easier to handle complex geometry and build breathtaking, immersive levels
    Last edited by zomfg1234; 18th Dec 2023 at 19:39.

I am... I'm sorry I exposed you to attack, Dana.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 20th Dec 2023 at 06:54.

Happy 25th, all!

I was building on Dromed for like a year on a little island in Japan without my own internet access before I knew other people were doing the same thing, so I feel like I've been around from the start. But I guess January 2003 is still pretty early.

I really hope a new FM editor comes out so that it's much easier to handle complex geometry and build breathtaking, immersive levels
    Just popping in to note that, if you didn't get the memo, The Dark Mod is a thing that does this.

Happy 25th, all!

I was building on Dromed for like a year on a little island in Japan without my own internet access before I knew other people were doing the same thing, so I feel like I've been around from the start. But I guess January 2003 is still pretty early.

Just popping in to note that, if you didn't get the memo, The Dark Mod is a thing that does this.

Thank you, Digital Nightfall!

Happy 25th! I wish a long life to the amazing Thief community and many more years of Taffing around!
    May the candles be never extinquished by a water arrow.

Maybe it'll be an AI-based editor, where you just enter text prompts and it builds levels...

"Dear AI: Build me twenty large, original, well thought-out levels in Thief 2 Dromed, inspired by a mix of both Thief Gold and Thief 2 levels, where stealth and hiding in shadows is a large part of the gameplay. Focus on having engaging gameplay for humans, where sneaking around mansions, castles, banks, seaports, caves, caverns, cathedrals, crypts, Tudor homes, and the like at twilight and nighttime hours is the setting, and stealing loot such as gold, coins, gems, jewelry, and miscellaneous expensive objects to afford rent and buy weapons is a recurring objective. However, also create a cohesive plot and story arc that spans across the twenty missions, using some existing characters from T1 and T2 and add a few new ones, such as XYZ, and create other highly engaging objectives based on the storyline, again using inspiration from T1/T2. Be sure to have torches and electrical lights at realistic yet various places to give humans a challenge as they try to complete the objectives for each mission, since the player is more easily seen by the enemy if they're in the light. If every mission was just bathed in shadows, that would be too easy for the humans. Similarly, have a variety of surfaces for the player to walk, run, and creep on, based on surfaces found in the real world -- to add an audio component/challenge to the gameplay, just like T1/T2, where certain surfaces produce more noise than others. Fill these levels/missions with generative audio inspired by T1/T2's ambience and ambients, and add briefings and cutscenes in the style of T1/T2 between missions to introduce each mission appropriately and to slowly help reveal the highly engaging plot across the missions. Go ahead and make hand-drawn maps for each mission, too, as if the player was provided rudimentary maps from an associates who aren't the best artists, but are good enough to depict a fair amount of details to help the player traverse the maps without getting entirely lost. Please and thanks"