TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Varyx Obelisk -2001.04.20

ok for air talisman key go to sub basement in one room is a single spider on the bench behind him is the key for air room

sword, on way to air talisman there is a sliding wall on left go to area with house you can lockpick open,then find room in that house with a hole in ceiling rope up there,the sword is on the floor by bed kinda in the dark

the first door by complex is for the very end of mission

Thanks for air talisman key. It was really there, but barely visible and I thought this was a stain.

As for the sword, I found it in a completely different place. In Sector 2 in Oubliette. It took me a lot of time to find it. So for eventual future question - find room with haunt, find a place to crouch into with portcullis that you need to open. In the corner of next room is hard to see super long ladder. At the end you MAY find new blade.

This was quite fun mission, but a little to random for my tastes.

This walkthrough covers the locations of all keys, special items and talisman etc all on difficulties and includes all the randomised locations where they maybe found.

Finished on Ruffian in 1 hour and 45 minutes with 2122 of 2152 total loot. At the beginning, I was a bit afraid I might get stuck at one of the exploration puzzles, but the mission does a great job at boxing the player into segregated areas: You never have to search for too long to find the next item, switch, or hidden area. Towards the end, crawling through yet another labyrinth of stone walls become a bit repetitive, but I persevered and completed the mission without needing hints from the forums.

Possible bug: The map I picked up in labyrinth 2 did not show up on the map screen. I got the message "New Map Page", but when I pressed "M", no new map was available. (Played on NewDark 1.26.)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post

Possible bug: The map I picked up in labyrinth 2 did not show up on the map screen. I got the message "New Map Page", but when I pressed "M", no new map was available. (Played on NewDark 1.26.)
    Have you got a save? Can look into that.

I will sent you a link to the file via personal message. I did a hard save when I had the camera centered on the map, 1 hour and 15 minutes into the mission.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Varyx Obelisk is said to be a T1 mission, but it isn't. It's a TG mission actually, since it's using TrigQVar, which is a TG/T2 script.
    This is the reason why it wouldn't work.
    Solution
    1. Use convict.osm for TG
    2. Use this dml if you're using T1/convict.osm T1 (use this dml if you're not sure, it will also work in TG)

Code:
    DML1//Varyz Obelisk//Map Fix//miss42.mis.dml

#script NVScript

+ObjProp 326 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" NVTrapsetQVar
    }
    +ObjProp 394 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 1" NVTrapsetQVar
    }
    -ObjProp 384 "Scripts"
    -ObjProp 327 "Scripts"
    +ObjProp 384 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 0" NVTrigQVar
    }
    +ObjProp 327 "Scripts"
    {
        "Script 0" NVTrigQVar
    }

Do I have to restart the mission to see if the DML works? I am playing on TG.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Yes. NVScript is also required. It should be loaded if you installed Tfix.

i loved this series of missions

Confirmed new dml working, once NVScript dropped into TG main folder, and without using Tfix.

Quote Originally Posted by urgrue View Post
    Confirmed new dml working, once NVScript dropped into TG main folder, and without using Tfix.
    Thank you for that.

I can confirm Unna's DML works for Thief Gold with Tfix.

1. Created miss42.mis.dml in the unzipped mission's folder.
    2. Copied the lines from Unna's post into this file.
    3. Opened FMSel.
    4. Selected "The Varyx Obelisk".
    5. Clicked "Start FM".
    6. Played the mission from beginning until I reached Daitillian (area 2).
    7. Picked up the map.
    8. Pressed "M".
    9. Clicked on the arrow on the right side of the screen.
    10. The Daitillian map shows up.

I just finished this mission and gotta say wow! It definitely is sth. different. For me it was a bit tough at parts especially the forced ghosting which I´m not a fan of, but I loved the search for keys & talismans and all those secret doors.
    My personal favourite has to be the "hmmm" Garrett always says when standing in front of a secret door. Really nice! Now onto the sequel

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha1 View Post
    I just finished this mission and gotta say wow! It definitely is sth. different ...
    Thank you for mentioning this. I've just played it. Once I got used to the style I found it very enjoyable and my type of game. Considering it was written 20 years ago it's very good. Thank you to the author xarax

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    Thank you for mentioning this. I've just played it. Once I got used to the style I found it very enjoyable and my type of game. Considering it was written 20 years ago it's very good. Thank you to the author xarax
    Don´t forget to play the sequel I have yet to play it, hopefully I will get to it this weekend

Ah thank you! Heart and Soul. I’ve downloaded to play later. I see there’s even a Walkthrough and Lets Play but I’ll resist unless I get really stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Aged Raver View Post
    Ah thank you! Heart and Soul. I’ve downloaded to play later. I see there’s even a Walkthrough and Lets Play but I’ll resist unless I get really stuck.
    Maybe you won´t even need it, for me heart and soul was alot easier than the varyx obelisk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12