TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: FMs - Ghost/Perfect Thief Results (Part 9) [SPOILERS]

First of all, I didn't claim success, I claimed that I most likely failed. As for how I know he woke up, it's simple, you can unlock return path, but it takes around couple of minutes to return, so it's possible for guard to calm down.

I understand now. Yes, I was simply confirming what you did as the right course of action. The principle is to not claim success unless 100%. Reporting it as you did was clear.

Game: Thief 2
    FM: T2X Mission 13: Betrayal

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Failed
    Perfect Supreme - Failed
    Time - 25:43
    Loot - 1689/1689
    Pockets Picked - None
    Secrets:None
    Locks Picked - None
    Backstabs - 0, Knockouts - 0
    Damage dealt - 0, Damage taken - 0
    Healing taken - 0, Other Kills - 0, Bodies Discovered - None
    Consumables - 1 water arrow & 1 fire arrow

See the entire report with screenshots here!
    Loot list here!
    YouTube let's play here!

Comments:
    A pretty poor mission to an overall magnificent campaign. The story shift seems extremely forced to me, as do the readables that desperately try to justify it. The glade and the caves are decently atmospheric, but the mission is too short and linear to have any lasting impact. Bar dousing one torch, this mission can be Perfect Supremed. I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to make a good final mission, but this one definitely falls short.

All we really had to go on for now was killing Malak and his conjured beast. We would get the additional task of also destroying the scales in not too long. Straight forward stuff.

Had to inch along the fence of Truart’s mansion to avoid detection from the guards below. The female swordsman was already on the lookout, but not from detecting me. Her comments signified she hadn’t been alerted at all. I found I could mantle the wall to the west high up above what seemed possible (see image below). Not sure if you’re supposed to do that, but it worked. I could hop directly into the canal from here unseen. There were some hard to spot lucky coins in the well across the bridge. The water seemed to have low visibility all through the mission, thus the loot was tough to locate.

Through the glade and the caves the only real problem occurred in the cave with the waterfall and the stationary ratman. I tried following the patrolling one and sneak past him as he turned, but one of them always caught me. The only way to get past was by dousing the torch in the corner. Instead I looked for a way to climb the rocky pathway along the northern part of the cliff. There were some large trees, and although they were rope attacheable, it was tough to get a proper leap from the rope. It was as if I was partly stuck to the tree, and instead of hopping I just fell to the ground. I found a semi-repeatable spot just east of the cave opening where I first emerged (see image below). Timing the two ratmen nearby, I jumped and successfully mantled up the rocky slope. I managed to grab the rope in the act also. I next had to inch out to the very edge of the path in order to avoid the patroller coming by.

A bit further up was another stationary beast. He shifted between three facing angles, all generally towards the east. I waited at the top as close as I could without getting spotted (see image below). Another patroller came out of the cave up ahead and we he turned around, I snuck into the dark corner ahead. I could wait here and follow said patroller the next time he left. With a bit of luck, the following cave’s patroller was walking away and I could doge both, dropping to a rocky outcropping below the main walkway (see image). Here I was safe and could plan proceedings.

From here I leapt back onto the main path once both ratmen were gone. I dropped to the northeast and mantled up a small cave with a bonfire and some loot (see image below). Here I was safe from any alerts, despite being lit up. I then had to time the patrollers again in order to proceed to the exit cave. I had to wait 4 or 5 patrol loops before they were correctly synchronized. As long as two patrollers have slightly different route lengths, waiting them out long enough usually gives you an opening, and so it did here. Malak’s house at the top of the slope posed no problem.

In Malak’s lair, I could get all the way to the end of the river before getting caught. The two torches outside the shrine were too bright to avoid the gaze of the stationary ratman. I ended up dousing the closest one around the corner (see image below). Now I could sneak unseen all the way over to the corner just outside the shrine. Neither Malak nor the large beast seemed to have any sort of first alert remarks. Only the wandering ratman was the issue now. With good timing I could sneak over and grab the scales. Taking them removed a light source, but since the objective said to destroy them, that should be ok. The beast killed everyone and I could successfully toss the scales into the lava without getting seen. As the beast was dying I relit the torch with the fire arrow I started the mission with.

Notes:
    - Used one water arrow to put out the closest torch outside the shrine with the scales. Used a fire arrow to light it up again after everyone was dead. Removing light sources is a bust to Supreme.

Edit: In my segmented run, which you can see here, when I reloaded after dousing the torch, it remained doused. This is obviously a game bug and has been reported by other players. Although it does avoid having to use a water arrow for the current playthrough, it cannot happen unless you first douse the torch, so it does require a bust followed by a reload. I'm on the fence as to whether this is a bust or not for Supreme, so I'll leave it up to the viewer to decide. I've left the above stats as they were.
    Last edited by klatremus; 12th Jun 2021 at 16:53.

Game: The Dark Mod
    FM: Full Moon Fever

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Success
    Perfect Supreme - Success
    Time - 41:56
    Times saved - 58
    Damage dealt - 0, Damage received - 0
    Health restored - 0
    Pockets picked - 1
    Loot - 11196/11196
    Killed by the player - 0
    KOed by the player - 0
    Bodies found by AI - 0
    Alerts - 0 suspicious, 0 searches, 0 sightings
    Stealth score - 0
    Consumables - none

I’ll be honest, I didn’t like the Dark Mod all that much when I first tried it. The movement and controls aren’t nearly as robust as in Thief, and overall it felt way too slow. Once I got into this rhythm though, I started appreciating it more and discovering things about TDM that I now wish were in Thief. Full Moon Fever is the mission that got me hooked on TDM, so it feels appropriate for this to be my first Supreme run for it.

Lord Kinbote has recently expanded his basement and stumbled onto an ancient crypt. Whatever he found there drove him into madness. He locked himself in a study and hasn’t been seen for a week, which means he’s probably dead in there by now. Any taffer worth his salt knows that a discovery like this is not something to stay away from but rather a lucrative opportunity, and there must be something valuable in those crypts. Thus our goals are to find that something and sack the Kinbote manor (7500 loot on Difficult).

All the outside manor doors were locked save for the second floor balcony one, which made it my preferred way in. I could have pickpocketed the guard in front of the manor and got the front door key or even picked any of the locked doors, but the balcony felt the most Supreme. Got one rope arrow from a shack in the southeast, roped up, and got in.

My first order of business inside the manor was to hunt down the captain of the guard who has the key to his room. Just like the front door, the door to the captain’s room is pickable, but the existence of the key means I had to re-lock it. The good news is the captain was right in front of me when I opened the door. The bad news is that there was another guard in the alcove to the left, which meant I couldn’t just catch up to the captain. I had to learn where he goes and get there before him. Eventually, I nabbed his key in the central courtyard, which provides enough shade. All the keys in this mission are not droppable, which meant I didn’t have to worry about returning them.

The second hurdle was getting into the study where the lord’s body is found. The only way to do this is through a ventilation shaft, but the vent gratings in this mission do not open and close; no, they behave like junk objects, which one then has to put on the ground. Since I couldn’t replace them exactly, I figured it was fine to lay them near for Supreme. The closest place to the study to get into the vents was the music room. However, I had to take out two grates there, so instead, I entered the ventilation from the guest rooms on the opposite side of the manor. It takes a bit longer, but I only has to take out one grate this way.

To access the study, I couldn’t pull the grate back into the vent; it just made too much noise, Thus, I had to drop it into the room, which I still think constitutes a nearest logical place. To avoid making a lot of noise after picking the grate up, I jolted the camera up so that the grating would go above me and I would land on my feet. In the study, I could take the study door key and leave that way, but I could also rope back up into the vents, avoiding the unnecessary pickup. Thus, all I took was the loot and the bedroom key off the lord’s corpse. On my way to the bedroom, I looted the rest of the second floor. Yeah, this mission is chock full of loot, but all of it is very easy to get, so it’s just something I do along the way.

Unlocking the bedroom doors, I let a glowing rat out. See, if you read various notes throughout the manor, you learn a bit more about the lord’s descent into madness. One readable in particular mentions an “animal” that he found in the crypt and caged in his bedroom. If that wasn’t strange enough, once we get the mysterious key in the bedroom and leave, all the humans in the manor turn into zombies. I have to say, I wasn’t expecting to encounter the undead before making it down to the crypt, so this moment genuinely surprised me on my first playthrough.

With the mysterious key, I could now unlock the door in the basement leading into the crypts. On the way, I looted the first floor, which is actually a lot easier to do once everyone is zombiefied. In particular, it’s impossible to get the loot in the kitchen before this as the maid is standing right near the sink with gold plates and never moves.

The crypt is entirely devoid of AIs to begin with. Of course, those who played fan missions before know that once they take whatever evil McGuffin the objective tells them to steal, things will change, and sure enough, taking the book reanimates a bunch of skeletons who begin to patrol the crypt, making getting out of it a challenge. With this knowledge, I grabbed all the loot in the crypt before taking the book and then snuck out using the shortest route possible. After that, I just had to head back to the second floor and use the balcony to exit the manor.
    Last edited by marbleman; 12th Jun 2021 at 15:49.

Very cool report, marbleman! I'm interested on hearing how well you think the Ghost/Supreme rules match with TDM. Do you think a new rule set is needed? Or perhaps just a small addendum that highlight differences? I don't feel I've played it enough to have a proper say.

Would love to see a let's play of this.

I haven't played TDM too much either, but I think the rules apply quite well. A whole new ruleset is unnecessary, but perhaps a small addendum could be good.

Alerts work a little differently in TDM, and you're given a stealth score in the end. I would specify that both Ghost and Supreme require it to be 0 but that Ghost could allow first alerts. I would also specify setting AI vision and hearing to Hardcore, though I must admit, I noticed barely any difference here from the default settings. There might be a few more additions, but it's all I can think of now.

A let's play is coming.

HAMMERED

To ghost this mission you must first complete Pagans objective. Their gift are 2 invisibility potions and Pagan Mask. You must use explosive device to blow rock, but no Hammerites will hear explosion. With invisibility potion you can go to priest in church, steal loot, his Vault key, Staff of Balance and Golden Plate. In Vault are magic bolts shooting and you can activate very silent explosion by walking on red tile, but Hammerites will not hear that. Since disabling barrier by using Screwdriver is directly connected to objective of getting Bloodstone Hammer, I don't count that as damage property.

STATS:

Time: 0:43:20; Loot: 7285/7440
    Pockets Picked: 34/36; Locks Picked: 6
    Back Stabs: 0; Knock Outs: 0
    Damage Dealt: 0; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 0
    Iron Beasts Destroyed: 0; Disabled: 0
    Special Loot Hard/Expert Only: 7/7

GHOST: CHEMICAL SUCCESS
    PERFECT GHOST: CHEMICALLY POSSIBLE

HAVING A BALL

Front Door key to the Castle is located in small house and the only way in is by breaking window (ghost bust #1). This also alerts nearby skeletons and 2 bats will self destruct. In Castle is another bat, but after shenanigans in basement (a lot of stuff breaks when you approach, this reminds me Cryptic Realms), another bat will self destruct. Skeletons can get stuck in corridor at the bottom of stairs. Luckily for me they managed to get unstuck.

After grabbing ball you need to drop quietly into water or else 3 spiders will go into search mode. First jump quietly right over water and then do cancel mantle technique to drop quietly into water. In front of main entrance to the Castle appeared scarecrow and it will spot you. To avoid alert you must bring rock from trap in basement to the attic and use it to mantle on roof (there is one spot that will let you mantle up). From there you must drop on steep slope and drop on one of 4 patrolling scarecrows below (on it's back, so it will not spot you).

STATS:

Time: 0:27:26; Loot: 2310/2310
    Pockets Picked: 0/0; Locks Picked: 0
    Secrets: 1/1

GHOST: IMPOSSIBLE

KEEPER'S MEDALLION

Very short mission with just 2 small buildings. Dodging guards without dousing torches requires fast speed and taking distance. Other than that it's pretty easy mission.

STATS:

Time: 0:07:30; Loot: 1049/1339
    Pockets Picked: 2/2; Locks Picked: 0
    Secrets: 0/0

GHOST: SUCCESS
    PERFECT GHOST: POSSIBLE

LEGEND OF THE FOUR ELEMENTS 2: THE LAST HOPE

I have a feeling that enemies can hear and see through closed doors. To get to 2nd area of the city I'm forced to mantle on right statue on bridge and then mantle on right roof. Climb on steep roof and from there douse small candle near tomb near gate. You need to use artifact here to grab Hand of Truth, then jump to hammer statue and slowly go past guard.

I'm using secret passage to enter Factory. I can drop into 1st room without 2nd alerting engineer thanks to that and grab money from shelf. Return to water, climb on pipe and jump again to secret passage. In next room is safe with scroll, but you can't return to secret passage, because you don't have any rope arrow. Luckily it's not that hard to sneak through corridor in front of stationary Mechanist even if you are well lighten.

Unfortunately shooting tombstone with holy water arrow will 2nd alert noble in house (ghost bust #1). I tried to nudge him far away, but that didn't help. In order to get Hand of Lies you are forced to shoot fire arrow into bell. This 2nd alerts all guards (ghost bust #2). In Temple you must destroy icicle with fire arrow. This spawns ice golem who is alerted because of explosion (ghost bust #3). And it's impossible to kill him in one hit, so that's ghost bust #4.

STATS:

Time: 0:31:29; Loot: 2241/2636
    Pockets Picked: 0/1; Locks Picked: 3
    Damage Dealt: 204; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 1

LEGEND OF THE FOUR ELEMENTS 3

Very short and linear mission without any enemies. But you are forced to break 2 windows to progress (ghost bust #1-2).

STATS:

Time: 0:18:14; Loot: 0/0
    Pockets Picked: 0/0; Locks Picked: 0

MERCHANT'S MANOR

There is no objectives showing up on Expert, so I'm playing mission on Hard difficulty. Game has bug that change chosen difficulty to Normal, though in newest version Hard has the same objectives as Normal (in first version I believe Hard had harder loot objective and one more objective). You can grab coin stacks from table in front of knight on 2nd floor of Barracks by going very slowly along wall and leaning for money whenever it's possible.

The hardest is definitely timing watcher on 3rd floor. That's why I'm skipping loot from bed and around it. It's possible to get loot with invisibility potion. For loot near watcher you must go under watcher. Also there is good shadow on stairs near top of stairs near watcher. Noble will not spot you there. I'm skipping also chest with loot behind 2nd banner in Dining Room, because chest is too far behind banner.

Also in my stats shows up Bodies Discovery stat. I don't know who died, but it wasn't made by me.

STATS:

Time: 0:34:23; Loot: 2849/3469
    Pockets Picked: 1/0; Locks Picked: 8
    Bodies Discovered by Enemies: 1 (?)

PERFECT GHOST: IMPOSSIBLE. You must skip loot chest behind banner in Dining Room.

MIGHTY JOE YOUNG

START

Really large mission with lots of ghost busts. At the start is locked portcullis. You can frob lever through it and then open 2 more portcullis. This is necessary to avoid one of busts near end of mission. You can also get Talisman of Darkness earlier. Return to start and descend into water for Front Door key. The rest of city is easy until you go to Jail.

JAIL

In Upper Jail wait for engineer to turn away, then go right under his wall and go to chests. In grab loot, then rope up to 2nd floor. Go on stone floor and lean for rope arrow, then grab loot and drop on 1st floor. To get to Lower Jail I decided to enter differently than author wanted. I'm not gonna free apes. Instead I'm mantling on fence where Garrett says there is nothing there. From right side of fence I jumped and mantled on other fence and quietly dropped on the other side. I descended on ladder and nudged closer Hammerite a bit to the left, then I slowly sneaked to table to read book and take key. To get out I mantled on fence and dropped on patroller. I went to grab gas arrow from lower Jail.

Next is scene with freeing Mighty Joe. Ignore that and grab 2 keys from nearby house, then go to Tombstone Company. I'm going to basement for 2 moss arrows. For that I need to shoot 2 light mushrooms.

LIBRARY

Douse 2 pedestals on 2nd floor, so you will grab key from altar. Go to elevator. Pressing switch to ride up will summon 2 archers on 3rd floor. To prevent that shoot moss arrow into left switch on 3rd floor ledge above elevator. It's also switch for riding elevator up, but this one will not summon archers. Go to top of Library and get Talisman of Eternity. Then go to Cave.

CAVE

In treebeast part you must douse torch. If I could climb on rocks I could do that. Unfortunately I am forced to progress through intended way. 2 spiders can't be ghosted (ghost bust #1). In bigger cave douse 2 torches, then strafe jump on left slope. You can jump again to go up the slope and mantle to green spider cave. Far away small spiders shouldn't see you and apes below aren't problem either. But entering cave will alert green spider. So I shot 2 rope arrows into bridge above my head and jumped to vines. Unfortunately green spider will see me anyway (ghost bust #2). By jumping quickly on vines I can avoid alert from ape on bridge.

To get to Sewers you must drop on rock with slope. To do that crouch and drop while holding jump[ button, so Garrett will mantle on slope. Fall to Sewers, use light lever and go to spider caves.

SPIDER CAVES

On the left is passage to Elec Room. There is purse, key and metal box with loot. But you are forced to break wooden plank. Since it's optional I'm gonna skip it and move to cave with 5 small spiders. At first I thought it's impossible to ghost this section, but I was wrong. So 3 small spiders will slide down, but only 2 of them will slide into water and die. One more thing, this mission has modified spiders. Normal spiders look with their back and when they turn for short time, their direction of looking doesn't change. Not in this mission. If spiders turn for short time, they look in different direction. This means this section can be ghosted and I realized that maybe previous encounters with spiders could also be ghosted.

First wait for 2 spiders to slide into water. Now you must time 2 spiders to look at you and go past left spider along left wall only when you notice it turns. Stop in the corner. You can't go in front of 3rd spider, because 1st spider will spot you. Wait for 3rd spider to turn and quickly strafe run behind him into small shadow in passage (you must run close to him instead of running close to wall, otherwise he will go into search mode.

Next cave has 3 green spiders, so wait for 1st spider to turn and strafe run in front of further right spider. Wait for him to turn and run into darker corner in passage leading to cave. If done correctly no spider will alert. Go to apes village.

VILLAGE

Go to right post for rope arrow, then go to water and rope down into it. Go behind apes for Talisman of Force. Now you need to nudge 2 apes into corners near water. I noticed that nudging apes is much easier than nudging anyone else. Then you need to shoot rope arrow into ceiling and descend into water. Sadly you are forced this rope arrow here. Rope up to house near water, grab 4 statuettes and go to west cave.

ESCAPE FROM CAVES

You are forced to destroy lower wooden plank (ghost bust #3). Jump over middle of bridge or else it will vanish. Now is lava part with 2 apes. Strafe run left, crouch and go to shadow under left ape. Now you can stand. Ape will not notice you. Moss gravel on the other side of lava. Now you need to wait for 2nd ape to turn towards wall and quietly jump to moss, then quickly run to shadow before 2 spiders will go into search mode. Shoot 2 moss arrows on both sides of spiders and when they turn jump over them and hide in shadow. Climb right side of ladder and wait for top ape to turn around. Then jump+mantle on top of the ladder, go right and quickly do platforming to exit cave.

CASTLE

Wait for patroller and quickly go behind him. Jump+mantle to window on left side, use lever and then strafe jump+mantle back on the other side of canal. Quickly go on bridge and go right. Rope up to ladder for loot, key and some equipment. Return down and wait for archer to go left. Go right, nudge guard a bit, so you will manage to sneak through secret passage into mansion.

MANSION

Ignore basement and douse 3 torches. Nudge guard forward, so later you will manage to get into right door. If nudged correctly you will manage to stand in light in front of fireplace and lean for 2 bottles. I needed to mantle over table to go forward. Douse torch above stairs and 2 corner torches can be doused with 1 water arrow. Go to 2nd floor and loot it. You will also get Den key. Return to 1st floor door and quickly sneak to it. Inside be silent and open passage to Vault.

In Vault are 3 small spiders, floor is metal and opening Vault will also turn on light. First of all frob light mushroom and moss floor near door. Stand in front of door. You need to unlock door, block it and quickly lock it with key. Now you need to jump over spiders on edge of shelf. Don't climb on shelf, just move on edge and grab all loot and Chapel key, then jump over spider to moss. Go to 2nd floor Chapel.

Douse 2 pedestals, then nudge left Hammerite forward and then right Hammerite right. This way you can get Cemetery key and barely lean forward for Talisman of Light. Before leaving you can visit also door on wooden ledge outside for gas arrow. Return to the secret entrance to mansion and nudge guard left towards to wall, then open Cemetery gate.

CEMETERY

This place is easy to ghost. You can use 2 switches behind statues and reveal secret that way. In secret you can descend on side of ladder, close door, descend more, open it and grab water arrow and haunt's key. But you can't grab loot, because haunt will see you. In other wall are 4 bags of spices. Take Main Gate key and check storage for water arrow and 20 masks. This completed loot objective for me. Return to the Castle's bridge and go right to Main Gate.

RETURN TO START

Main Gate is protected by stationary guard and there is no way to ghost him, so I just gassed him and hid his body in shadow (ghost bust #4). If you strafe run quickly into guard post you can grab gas arrow from chest. Douse 2 torches and then steal Switch Room key. Douse torch and nudge archer a bit. Use lever and you will enter area with 1 patroller and 2 archers above. The intended way to go through this room is by getting Tower key from room behind archer, but archer will attack us. Luckily we opened portcullis to next area at the beginning of the mission.

Mantle on Temple's roof. You need to put 4 talismans in correct flames. After every correct placement, gong sound will be heard. This sound may alert patroller at the start of mission. He doesn't alert when he's walking away for some reason. So you will need couple hard saves to make. Also quicksave only when gong sound will end to check the condition with guard. Otherwise after loading gong will launch again and you will be forced to check guard again. After placing last talisman light turns on and bunch of alerted haunts spawn. They will kill patroller. Also they are very sensitive, so I couldn't ghost them and just run past them to start of mission (ghost bust #5).

STATS:

Time: 1:56:15; Loot: 7505/8695
    Pockets Picked: 11/26; Locks Picked: 7
    Secrets: 1/1

FM: Perilous Refuge

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Success
    Perfect Supreme - Failed
    Time - 49:48
    Times saved - 76
    Health restored - 0
    Pockets picked - 0
    Loot - 3586/3586 (Supreme: 3536)
    Killed by the player - 0
    KOed by the player - 0
    Bodies found by AI - 0
    Stealth score - 0
    Consumables - none

If Full Moon Fever was the mission that got me hooked on TDM, Perilous Refuge is the one that solidified my love for it. This mission is amazing. Port towns are rarely seen in FMs, and even rarer then do they feel so atmospheric. Wrecker’s Reach might be my favorite depiction of a port town in any Thief fan mission ever, and it even has an entire ship to plunder. It is also a healthy challenge, with engaging but never frustrating sneaking. The ship in particular is a highlight: while it has many AIs on board, they have long patrol routes with pause points on the way, so it never feels like a slog to get through.

Our goals are to make it aboard the merchant ship that recently came into the docks and find something of value, in addition to looting the waterfront in general (2000 on Difficult). The map can be divided into three main sections: the waterfront in the northeast with a few residential buildings and an inn, the ship in the middle, and a big warehouse in the southwest. Going through the map counter-clockwise, this was the order I tackled these in.

The Town

Going up the ladder from my hideous, I immediately entered the astronomer’s tower and crossed the tightrope into the condemned building. Both windows I had to open were ajar to begin with, but luckily TDM has a great degree of control over the opening and closing of doors, so I was able to leave both windows in the exact same state after coming through. Nothing particularly tricky here. Had to pick a key off a thief’s corpse to enter the cellar, but none of the keys in the mission are droppable, so there was no need to return it. Next was a small residential building. A staircase patrolled by a thug and two rooms on the second floor. Nothing difficult here either; just had to wait for the thug to come downstairs, pick both doors, and take the loot inside.

The inn is where it gets a bit more interesting. The building has four entrances, and all of them are useful for successfully ghosting the place. Sometimes it’s a lot easier to exit the building and re-enter it elsewhere instead of trying to get through. Entering through the cellar and up through a hatch allowed me to get behind the bar and pick the cashbox, which is by far the easiest way to reach it. I could then exit the inn and pick the outside door on the northern side leading to all the rooms and loot those. Unfortunately, this was all I could do for Supreme. There is one more piece of loot, a purse worth 50 in an alcove above the bar area. A thug patrols between the alcove and a nearby window, but never stands there for more than a few seconds. Given how well-lit this place is, there is nearly not enough time to get that purse and get back to safety while the thug is standing near the window. For Ghost, I could get in and pinch out the candle on the table so that I could hide inside the alcove and leave as the thug was leaving, but for Supreme, I couldn’t do it. Playing the mission for this report, I also noticed that something was different. There is an unlocked door leading to the rooms opposite the alcove, and the reason I chose to pick the outside door leading there is that my first two times through the mission, there was a thug standing right near it, and I could never sneak by him without first alerts. This time, to my surprise, he was patrolling. However, I decided not to reload a save and try to avoid picking that lock as I would have to cross this whole place, dodging two thugs and a barmaid below, twice. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it would certainly be the most difficult move in the mission, and there is really no reason to do it.

The store with an apartment above it was my last stop. The store itself is easy to get in by picking the front door while nobody is around. Inside, there is another door leading to the apartment, but there is also an open window above the store entrance, which is what I took. For Ghost, this entrance is especially convenient since the lamp on the table near the window can be switched off, creating plenty of darkness. Even without switching it off for Supreme, it’s still quite easy to get in and hide. Looted everything there is to loot, exited the apartment, and headed for the ship.

The Ship

Although it’s the main target, sneaking around the ship is quite easy. First, made my way to the stern, looted the dining room, and entered the captain’s quarters. Inside one of the drawers of the captain’s table is the ship’s log, which mentions that a certain dowry chest is on board and adds a key (was it tucked inside the log?) to the inventory. This changes the objective to find something valuable to specifically find this dowry. As mentioned, the keys are not droppable, but the ship’s log is, so I placed it back in the drawer. Looting a couple cabins on my way, entered the main cargo hold. There are several chests to raid here, including the one that contains the dowry… or does it? Taking everything from this chest triggers a new objective, “Is this really it? Maybe the real dowry is somewhere around here,” prompting the player to explore further. I almost wish the mission didn’t have this objective, fooling the player into thinking they’ve stolen everything while there’s more treasure on board. So, where is the real dowry? The ship’s log also mentions that nobody is allowed in the kitchen, which is… odd. In the kitchen, there is a hatch leading down to the food storage, which is the only way to get in there. Under the floorboards there is, indeed, another chest, with far more treasure. Also worth noting is that finding the real dowry before the decoy one prevents the new objective from being added. For ghosting, the only difficulty in all this is getting out of the food storage as it’s hard to gauge where the cook is. However, I’ve found that staying as far left on the ladder as possible gave me both a better view angle and a darker light gem. Finally done with the ship, I carefully descended into the water on its western side and swam towards my last big goal for the night.

The Warehouse

The warehouse is the biggest building in the mission. Most of it is quite easy to ghost and comes down to waiting out the patrols. The boss’s room, however, is tough. For regular Ghost, I could turn off the lamp on the table, making this place much easier, but for Supreme, I had to do something different and rely quite heavily on luck. In TDM, AIs often turn their heads, which – big surprise – affects their field of view. To sneak in and get to a dark area on the bed, I had to wait for the boss to stand in her bathroom not turning her head towards me. I could then pick the key from the flowerpot and open the chest. While the boss was in the bathroom again, I could grab all the loot from it. To sneak out, I had to go while she was in the bathroom again, once again relying on her not turning her head towards me.

Back in the hideout, I had to board-up my door just like it was at the beginning of the mission. Luckily, the end mission trigger is a few steps into the hideout, so I had plenty of time to place the board where it belongs. I would have been real mad if this was my only Supreme bust.

Notes
    - Had to skip a purse worth 50 at the inn for Supreme. Could not get it without either pinching out a candle or taking at least one first alert from the thug.
    Last edited by marbleman; 17th Jun 2021 at 18:52.

FM: King of the Mountain

Ghost - Success
    Perfect Thief - Success
    Supreme Ghost - Success
    Perfect Supreme - Success
    Time - 20:08
    Times saved - 30
    Health restored - 0
    Pockets picked - 1
    Loot - 6499/6499
    Killed by the player - 0
    KOed by the player - 0
    Bodies found by AI - 0
    Stealth score - 0
    Consumables - none

King of the Mountain won’t be everyone’s cup of tea. The mission starts you off without any weapons, including the blackjack, which is one of the easiest ways to alienate the player. Its plot is also as simple as it gets: the only objective here is to escape the prison, and no new ones are added during the course of the mission. Besides, completing this objective doesn’t involve solving any puzzles or doing anything convoluted, it’s just pickpocketing a Builder (TDM’s analog of Hammerites) guard for a key and using it on a door not far from the starting cell.

However, I fell in love with this mission, and it resonated with me in a way I might not even be able to put into words. As a ghoster, I never really cared about starting with no weapons, and while the plot is indeed simple, what the mission does have going for it is a really engaging backstory. I became utterly fascinated by Bluerock Prison and its inhabitants, and while I don’t want to go into specifics, as I think you’d be better off learning its story for yourself, I will say that it made perfect sense to me in the end why prisoners were freely roaming about the place and were seemingly on good terms with the Builders. This is not a place that could ever exist in real life, but within this fantasy universe, it’s believable.

The one and only hurdle for Supreme comes into play immediately and has nothing to do with sneaking around. The back wall of the starting cell has several loose bricks with a stash of loot worth 760 behind. I only needed to take out two bricks to reach every piece of loot, but placing them back afterwards is akin to threading a needle, and any collision would alert nearby guards. After about 30 attempts I finally got it, and while it’s not perfect, it will have to do.

The rest of my escape was really easy. Of course, before leaving I had to grab all the valuables with me, and this prison sure has a lot of them, mostly on the top floor. The guard I had to pickpocket has a really long patrol route, but it feels like I am bound to come across him every time I play. He might be a bit hard to identify as he looks almost exactly like all other Builders but wears black chest armor, and I think the mission would have benefitted from him looking a bit more conspicuous. The key can’t be dropped, so I didn’t have to worry about that.

Otherwise, there’s not much to report. This is a small and simple mission, but its brilliance is in its simplicity, and I highly recommend trying it out and sticking with it even if it doesn’t make a great first impression. The fact that my mini-review came out longer than the actual report should reaffirm that.
    Last edited by marbleman; 20th Jun 2021 at 09:47.

NIGHTWALK

My favorite mission in One Million Contest. Very short and easy mission to ghost, but it's fun to play.

STATS:

Time: 0:11:03; Loot: 2973/2973
    Locks Picked: 0

PERFECT GHOST: SUCCESS

A PIRATE'S DOWNFALL

Mansion mission with annoying gimmick of going back and forth. First of all, in mission there is event triggered by launching alarm by opening chest in Master Bedroom. It allows you to go to roof and enter Pirate Base, it also changes place to escape. Since it's turning alarm on I will consider that ghost bust. Luckily there is another way to the roof. Not intended way. By mantling on window shutter above Glasshouse, then mantling on invisible ledge and then on metal beam and finally on roof, you can get on roof without triggering event.

In Pirate Base I can grab chest with Compass from water through hole. On ship under deck you must move couple of crates on deck. Otherwise spiders will 2nd alert. And you dodge small spider near ladder by strafe running on the side of ship. Then I return to mansion to 2nd floor. Patrollers enter rooms, but you can hide inside them behind opened doors.

1st floor is easier. To get bag of spices you need to enter Kitchen from Drawing Room, quickly take it and leave it. You can't douse anything or knight will go into search mode. To get to other side of Kitchen you must go via Dining Room under window. There is no shadow and this room can be visited by guard. In basement you will find body and you will be forced to take it to Entrance to Forest (intended exit). Despite body being unconscious it can't drown. I also completed bonus objective by collecting 7 parts of golden skeleton. Afterwards all I need is to return to the starting point and mission will end. It feels like author predicted that this mission may be broken in future and that's why this exit works.

STATS:

Time: 1:06:18; Loot: 3384/3784
    Pockets Picked: 3/9; Locks Picked: 5
    Secrets: 5/5

PERFECT GHOST: IMPOSSIBLE. There is no way to grab tiara (worth 125) in Bedroom near Gallery, because noble is always looking at the entrance and room is well lighten. You can't get secret medallion (worth 100) from Cemetery, because note spawning medallion is also spawning skeleton and it's impossible to not get spotted. This room is also well lighten.

RELIGIOUS CONFLICT 1: CITY ATTACKS

There are 2 requests that forces damage property: 5 jars destruction and market stall destruction. They are loud and alert nearby guards (ghost bust #1-2). In Castle there are 3 stones (under stairs, armory and kitchen), which will alert other golems or guard in front of Castle (ghost bust #3-5). There is no way to kill ghost in Mansion in one hit (ghost bust #6). There is no way to kill sahagin from Keeper's Compound in one hit (ghost bust #7).

STATS:

Time: 0:44:51; Loot: 9270/9745
    Pockets Picked: 4/4; Locks Picked: 6
    Back Stabs: 2; Knock Outs: 0
    Damage Dealt: 86; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 2

RELIGIOUS CONFLICT 2: MONASTERY ATTACKS

This mission has objective to kill every hostile enemy. There is also huge amount of collectives. Switches are stupidly well hidden. Killing haunts is silent, so there is a lot of leeway. Unfortunately one of books to collect is behind banner, which must be cut (ghost bust #1). 7 monks in Horsemen of Apocalypse Tomb can't be killed in one hit and their deaths are louder, so this alert nearby monks (ghost bust #2-8).

STATS:

Time: 2:22:57; Loot: 5850/6300
    Pockets Picked: 2/3; Locks Picked: 9
    Back Stabs: 17; Knock Outs: 0
    Damage Dealt: 170; Damage Taken: 0; Healing Taken: 0
    Innocents killed: 0; Others killed: 19

THE SISTER

On Owner's Floor I nudged guard near safe left and very slowly entered room. In right room I shot moss arrow into light switch. Also if you save/load after conversation of cooks, they will stop moving. Entrance Hall is the hardest to ghost, because there is many patollers visiting this area. Other than that it's a pretty easy mission to ghost. I also completed bonus objective of finding earring in bird nest.

STATS:

Time: 0:48:14; Loot: 5857/6037
    Pockets Picked: 2/4; Locks Picked: 13
    Secrets: 2/2

PERFECT GHOST: POSSIBLE

TALISMAN OF THE KEEPERS

I had problem with dousing torch above entrance in church on 2nd floor. Patrollers alert to that. Luckily after reloading few times, torch failed to load burning. It's funny, because recently it happened to klatremus during his segmented run of last mission of T2X. All my saves got modified, so loading save from before entering Cathedral still had not burning torch in church. I wonder if restart of mission would help.

In Prison I must time 2 stationary guards to get key and loot. Luckily I can douse torch in 1st room. In Crypt there is diamond behind haunt. You must trigger trap to open cell, lean forward and turn towards cell to grab this loot without alerting haunt. In Ruins you must weight 2 pedestals. Intended way is to use rock, but it's possible to do that without it. For red and green door you can just use yourself and then run to door. For red door you must run to top of stairs and from there frob door, for green door you just need to lean from window and frob it. Blue door opens to inside, so I weight it's pedestal with 5 keys and 2 healing potions.

STATS:

Time: 0:42:02; Loot: 5365/5365
    Pockets Picked: 1/1; Locks Picked: 14

PERFECT GHOST: SUCCESS

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213