TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Library of Alexandria Scale Data Loss of Fan Missions

Library of Alexandria Scale Data Loss of Fan Missions

Hello, I've been thinking recently.

The main websites hosting thief fan missions is TTLG & thiefmissions.com

Well Thief Missions hasn't been updated since 2017, & whose to say how much longer that site will be available for? Has anyone prepared for an event where it shuts down & all the data is lost?

File hosting & bandwidth is still expensive but I think I have a solution. Discord allows for free file hosting & with Nitro you're allowed to upload files up to 100mb in size & their remain forever even after you cancel your membership.

You can also get a link to download discord files, so we could hyperlink the download button to the discord content link. For example here is a random text file I uploaded to discord: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...TTLG_ROCKS.txt

Discord has a long track record of never deleting messages, pictures, & files. Even if you delete it on the client size, which to me screams privacy issues, however this could be very useful for someone looking to use Discord as a hosting platform. I've used Discord for years as image hosting, I don't even feel bad about it. They've refused to implement E2E encryption, their TOS is scary, you essentially forfeit ownership to anything you upload there & give them the rights to publish, sell, or modify anything you upload. Also they use AI to go through messages & sell that data to data aggregators. So while Discord started out with noble intent its quickly entered the privacy grave yard.

Now my idea is what if we made a backup website for thief missions & uploaded them on Discord. That way when one of them shuts down which eventually will happen, there is a backup database of thief missions & at that point we can find another backup solution to ensure these missions don't end up like the burnt books of the Alexandrian library.

The website could just be a free wix or weebly website with an google spreadsheet & an HTML archive Thief Missions, then hyperlink to the discord links. Those free website hosting plans are limited but really all that's needed to do this. That way there would be ZERO hosting costs for us which would be amazing & could in theory last forever as long as weebly & discord don't go out of business.

I think a project of this scale would require multiple mirrors and backups. A spreadsheet is a good idea for organizing, with a document link via Google Sheets (or another program) and then an HTML copy on a free site. Wix also offers free hosting, as does Wordpress, so that could be a way to mirror the list as well.

As for uploading files to Discord, while it is an idea, we're not sure how long Discord will keep letting files stay on their servers. At some point, it may be limited or become a premium feature due to space or costs for them. While some missions could be stored on servers, they should also be mirrored in other places such as Dropbox, Google Drives, and Mediafire. Combining this with the spreadsheet list would offer reassurance that missions could still be accessed even if one source went down. Putting them in only one other place still makes the loss of a great deal of data fairly possible, IMO.

https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5237022

Torrents. Why does nobody talk about torrents? All those centralized Google Media DropDrives don't save data long enough. We have almost ideal community mechanism. Use it.

I'm currently updating the links for the new Mission by Type thread and am having difficulty finding active links for a lot of the missions released since 2014.

The hosting site that Lord Soth uses for Taffers Paradise no longer allows third party d/l's.
    Southquarter is still offline.
    Darkfate with recent releases often only shows third party links such as SQ and TP.
    The BoycoT does not allow third party linking you can d/l files yourself but I can't link their files to the MbyT.

So I'm having to resort to authors original dropbox, mega, or GDrive, but historically these have always be the first links to die when authors retire from this community, so how long before the new MbyT thread is in serious need or repair is any ones guess.

I think the German TTLG has all the missions in one place, but I'm getting a "traffic limit exceeded" error when I try to download any of them
    https://www.ttlg.de/index.php?fm-dow...leasedate_desc

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    I think the German TTLG has all the missions in one place, but I'm getting a "traffic limit exceeded" error when I try to download any of them
    https://www.ttlg.de/index.php?fm-dow...leasedate_desc
    You get that notification almost every time, I think I've only ever once successfully downloaded a mission from that site in 8 years.

The best chance to download from TTLG.DE should be some days after the beginning of each month, as the traffic count is reset at the beginning of the month. However, if more and more other download sites fail, the traffic limit will exceed pretty soon after each reset.

For several reasons, TTLG.DE has also seen little use (in the form of postings) during the last months. Some people even assume it may be fading away.

Is South Quarter slowly coming back?
    Idly clicking links on ttlg.de it seemed that Christine’s pages http://southquarter.com/christine/ appear to be back, possibly in full. Also Komag’s tutorial http://southquarter.com/komag/ and at least a few fm missions if you know the address such as http://www.southquarter.com/tma20ac/ or a few links to a few http://southquarter.com/fms

Quote Originally Posted by A.Stahl View Post

Torrents. Why does nobody talk about torrents? All those centralized Google Media DropDrives don't save data long enough. We have almost ideal community mechanism. Use it.
    Thank you for this! That is a 38GB file. I have 30GB of FMs in my backup. So apparently I was missing some stuff.

Can you d/l individual missions from there or do you have to d/l the whole 38GB file in one go? If it's the latter then it doesn't solve the issue of finding one mission to play as and when you feel like it, after all not everybody has the ability or desire to d/l a huge 38GB file.

60% epic slag? Think you've being playing a different game to everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by fortuni View Post
    Can you d/l individual missions from there
    Of course, you can. It isn't some huge archive...

Out of curiosity I checked this site and tried to download this 38,2 GB archive, but link doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    but link doesn't work for me.
    And... what exactly happened?

ZylonBane
    Because torrents only work well for files that are of interest to (e.g. seeded by) a large number of people, and/or rely on sucking down an individual seeder's residential bandwidth.

Quite some time ago I used this torrent to snag just Ricebug's walkthroughs.
    I was able to tell the client to only dl that one file.

And Behold! I still have the torrent in my history

copy/paste in browser or client:
    magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2B0456205220CF9E0260D255E699632F8A93A763&dn=Thief%202%20Missions&tr=http%3a%2f%2fbt.t-ru.org%2fann%3fmagnet

Just wait for your client to display the files data and select what you want before starting it.
    You can always go back and select more

Will be working on taffers to try and fix the direct download link problem tonight. Hope to have it sorted soon.

only thing i can do for now until i get a reply back from my host is to have the links go to the mission page ( I.E thief 1/2/3/ Dark Mod) and then from there people will need to scroll down the mission they want.
    Last edited by Lord Soth; 2nd Aug 2021 at 12:16.

fortuni, not sure what the problems is for taffers, I can download the missions fine. Is the problem the links I post on here on from the site it self ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post
    fortuni, not sure what the problems is for taffers, I can download the missions fine. Is the problem the links I post on here on from the site it self ?.
    Not sure what is going on, but neither Samantha or I can use any of the d/l links in the Mission by Type thread to go to TP, click on any of your d/l links and the link just disappears, BUT if you copy and paste the link and pop it into your browser then you can access the d/l files. I suspected your hosting site had added some sort of third party software, but Glypher reported that the links work fine for him..

But if it is some sort of software preventing third party d/ls that software would recognise your computer as being the primary source of the links so you probably wouldn't be affected.

Can anyone one else use the links in the MbyT to access TP files? Try clicking on Down in the Old Vault and Job Well Done in the City section here

For me too only copy pasting link works.