TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Good ways of making money

Southquarter.com/fms

Good ways of making money

Just starting out in the game, level six or so, but it seems like I'm always broke. Compared to some of Bethesda's other games, money seems harder to come by, and to compound things, items and services seem more expensive too.

Selling weapons and armor off dead enemies is yielding minimal returns - the only way I've found so far to make any decent cash is selling books to the library near The Citadel. Anyone know of other good ways to get me some more caps?

Someone in Megaton will buy your scrap metal, so hoard or store those til you can get him to.

I typically only carry a few guns, so I sell the ammo for everything I don't immediately need. I also sell all of the aid items I find besides stimpacks and radaway unless I need something for a specific reason.

Even with a high small guns skill I find the assault rifles totally useless, and there's TONS of 5.56 ammo since everyone else in the wasteland uses them. Since ammo doesn't weigh anything I typically end up with hundreds if not thousands of 5.56mm bullets by the time I sell them to the caravans.

Making money:

- Raise your Repair and Barter skills, then do some repairing & selling. Even with Repair at less than 50%, you can use (for example) one set of raider armor to repair another and end up with a set that's worth more than both of them put together (depending on how broken they were). If your skills are high enough you can buy stuff, repair it, and then sell it right back for a profit.

- You can't sell stuff if no one has any money, right? Go to Canterbury Commons and invest in the caravan merchants. Both their inventory and their cash on hand will improve.

- Raise your Speech skill, and try for those mercenary speech checks when you talk to people. Extra caps always help.

- There are a number of people in the game who will buy/trade for certain specific items for much, much more than their normal value.

- You know those weapon schematics that you can find/buy? You can turn a tidy profit by making and then selling some of the weapons. I say "some" because one or two of the weapons are worth less than the parts that they use no matter how high your Repair skill is.

- Get rid of the stuff that you're collecting that you're never going to use. If you have 50 molerat meats in your inventory, chances are that you can sell it off.

Forgot to mention the Mesmertron. Damn thing is effectively a bottlecap making machine. Hypnotize people, take their stuff, then send then on their way. If you don't mind losing karma you can also enslave them for a bunch of caps. Works best as a surprise attack BTW. One of my stealthy characters enslaved all of the raiders in the Super Duper Mart with it.

Southquarter.com/fms
    To add - a quest I wish I had done earlier in the game, Reilly's Rangers, offers some opportunity to make caps. In the end, they offer to pay you to map out The City (based on finding locations). It's too bad that at this point I had already mapped out half of the world.

The ironic thing is, now being roughly halfway through the game, I'm finding I don't have much need for caps so far. If you explore and scrounge a lot (which I love to do), there's shit everywhere. I've never had a problem finding weapons, ammo, stimpacks, and food in abundance while just wandering about the gameworld. The only thing I've really used caps for is repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    To add - a quest I wish I had done earlier in the game, Reilly's Rangers, offers some opportunity to make caps. In the end, they offer to pay you to map out The City (based on finding locations). It's too bad that at this point I had already mapped out half of the world.
    You get payed for those areas you had already "mapped" prior to getting that "job", so no loss for having previously mapping out half the world.

Martek

BR796164
    I have about 25000 caps at this point and I can't help myself collecting and selling weapons... some kind of obsession, as I'm a Gun Nut x3.

Yeah. By the time you get up to about level 12 or so you've probably bought most of the stuff for your house already and got your equipment loadout set, except for the stuff that you can't buy anyway. All that really leaves to spend money on is ammo and maintainance, maybe an occasional bribe or something. Also, chances are that you don't need any more ammo by that time either.

You get payed for those areas you had already "mapped" prior to getting that "job", so no loss for having previously mapping out half the world.
    There's a minor glitch where you may need to leave the ranger HQ and then come back before you get paid. Just step outside, then come back in and talk to Reilly again.

Another way to make a little money on a regular basis is to get your Karma up to Very Good. As long as you keep it at that level one of the Megaton people will run up to you every few days and give you free goodies (food, ammo, stims, etc) as a thank-you for being such a swell guy/gal. It can actually be kind of annoying if you're right at your inventory limit at the time, but it's free stuff.

I found the best way to make money is to use a melee weapon and don't wear fancy armor.

This sounds pretty crazy but it's true. My first character used rifles (chinese assault rifle FTW) and wore Brotherhood armor and even by level 20 I was still almost always in need of money AND ammunition. It was frustrating how hard they were to come by.

I recently started a new character. He's a real brawler--just spiked knuckles and the Tunnel Snakes leather jacket for him. And you know what? I've got thousands of bottlecaps at only level five.

When you get right down to it, I only need to repair my spiked knuckles and buy health packs. It might be a balancing issue but buying stimpacks and utilizing any sources of healing you can (sleep when you find a bed, drink water, eating) costs considerably less than the upkeep for a gun, armor, and healing on top of that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. I'm sure if you ramped up the difficulty it wouldn't be quite as easy to do this.

Actually, I think it's not an "issue" at all but an intended feature, since one of the character examples on the official site follows pretty much the same scenario (scroll down to "Katie the Iron-fisted Hero").

The issue isn't that such a character can exist but rather I seem much better off than I ever did using a gun/armor.

I think of it more as incentive for trying out an unusual character build.

Quote Originally Posted by RyushiBlade View Post
    I found the best way to make money is to use a melee weapon and don't wear fancy armor.
    I suspect that your playing style has a lot to do with it. I like to keep and use a wide assortment of weapons handy, even the types that I don't put skill points into, so I very seldom have to buy ammo or repairs. Plus I save a ton of ammo by exploiting environmental goodies like gas leaks, exploding cars, and mutually hostile groups of enemies.

Love those exploding cars...

10 note
    ...Useless exploding props

Quote Originally Posted by steo View Post
    I found them quite useful, myself.

In fact, the cars added quite a lot to the combat for me. As well as using them to blow up enemies, some of the most frantically fun moments in F3 combat were when a car that had for the last few moments been dutifully serving me as valuable cover suddenly became the biggest threat going.

At least it's a bit more original than explosive barrels or crates :P

I thought the exploding cars were the part of the minefield mission for the survival guide that ended up being a bigger pain in the ass than the actual minefield.

...which I use to kill entire groups of Talon mercenaries and raiders in a single earth-shattering kaboom. Buses and big rigs work even better. I just wish there was an easy way to move the cars around. Actually the "Useless Exploding Props" award should go the the fire extinguishers in the game.

I thought the exploding cars were the part of the minefield mission for the survival guide that ended up being a bigger pain in the ass than the actual minefield.
    Agreed. That old jerk up in the ruins is scripted to pump shots into the cars when you get close to them, even though he can't actually see you, with the result being that you try to backpedal and end up running over a mine by accident. He's the one that gave me the idea to use explody-cars myself. Helpful tip: Unloading a full assault rifle clip into a car usually makes it explode immediately, no waiting.

Speaking of blowing up Talons, another way to make easy money: Once you've played a few characters you'll start to get a general idea of where the Talon-exclusive spawn points are, and you can start leaving them little welcoming gifts of bottlecap mines. After that you'll occasionally hear a boom when you fast travel to a nearby location, and it's just a matter of collecting the loot. So far the ones that work best for me are mostly located near various Metro stations since I frequently use those as fast travel destinations.

I've never seen an exploding car

You've never seen...? Then you can either shoot up any of the abandoned cars that are laying around (from a safe distance), or you can watch the pretty explosions in this vid.

BR796164
    Need some caps for drugs and booze? Ask me. I have 30 K, honestly earned on black firearms market. I'M RICH!

Bottle caps giveaway every Saturday from 8.00 AM till 10.00 AM in Ol' Olney sewers. Watch out for Deathclaws.
    Last edited by Rogue Keeper; 12th Jan 2009 at 07:17.