TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: To eat or not to eat

To eat or not to eat

Apart from the first few character levels, I have found myself eating less frequently as I have progressed through the game up to the point where I no longer eat anything at all. For health replenishment I tend to rely on either sleep or Stimpacks as they provide healing without any radiation poisoning.

The same thing goes for Nuka Cola, which I fail to see the point of. A schematic is available for creating Nuka Cola cans at will. Has anyone created any of these and do they provide any advantage over the ordinary Nuka cans scattered throughout the game?

I've not created anything, so far. How far have you progressed? I'm around level 10 somewhere, and I still use food and drinks to replenish small amounts of HP randomly every now and then, saving my otherwise bountiful collection of Stimpacks for more dire needs.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    The same thing goes for Nuka Cola, which I fail to see the point of. A schematic is available for creating Nuka Cola cans at will. Has anyone created any of these and do they provide any advantage over the ordinary Nuka cans scattered throughout the game?
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nuka_Grenade

It's a grenade. I haven't tried any yet, but supposedly they're really powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by sergeantgiggles View Post
    http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nuka_Grenade

It's a grenade. I haven't tried any yet, but supposedly they're really powerful.
    Yes, that is really powerful (i found one; didn't create one per se) but I was actually referring to creating Nuka Cola cans themselves. I don't really see the point as they only give a small amount of energy -- which is fine around the first 5-6 levels or so -- but deliver a small radiation payload as well.

Get a Nuka-Cola machine for your home. It'll make any regular Nuka that you put into it "ice cold", which doubles the amount of healing that it does.

I don't often eat any of the foods. I usually find a sink. Same radiation as any food you pick up, but it gives you 24 - 30 hp based on where you find it.

Until you end up with a ridiculous amount of stimpacks, water fountains are awesome.

I'm not really a fan of eating food, not so much because of the small benefit/radiation but because carrying around anything with weight that isn't really valuable is a waste of inventory space.

I generally carry food around and use it, but when I need some extra carrying capacity it's the first thing I drop. There's so many edible critters running around that it's never a problem to replace it.

On a related note, Cannibal is the most useless perk ever. Just what the game needed, another method for healing. What, there weren't enough options with stims, food, water sources, beds and doctors? Solar Powered is almost as bad, but at least it gives you a Strength boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I don't often eat any of the foods. I usually find a sink. Same radiation as any food you pick up, but it gives you 24 - 30 hp based on where you find it.
    The toilets at Tenpenny's are pretty adequate at melding game mechanics and world atmosphere.

I usually take stimpaks or mentats or stick with some kind of drugs, and skip eating altogether.

I'M A DRUG-JUNKIE AND THIN AS A STRAW

Yeah, after I got higher in level I just used stimpaks, food barely helped anyway.

I have the curse of the pakrat, which means I save all my stimpacks and blood packs and just drink water and eat food, keeping the radiation at bay with RadAway. So I'm going to finish the game with a million frickin' healing items spare, as usual.

Morrowind.TTLG.com

Mirelurk meat isn't bad as far as health, since it's about the same as a sink health wise. Other than that, I stopped eating food after a few levels.

Stimpacks only here, more or less. Especially after the enclave starts wandering the earth, turning in useless technotrinkets to the Outcasts provides huge quantities of meds if you want.

After I reach about level 10, it's pretty much Mirelurk meat, purified water and Ice Cold Nuka for me. I use stimpacks like crazy during combat (bound it to a quick key), so I use the others outside of combat when there isn't a bed or drinking fountain handy.

I end up putting the rest of the foody things in my fridge between expeditions just to see how much of them I can amass. "Yes, I have the wasteland's largest collection of Insta Mash. Would you like to see it? Perhaps I could interest you in a gross of vodka bottles while you're here?"

Personally, I find it's about the same for me. At low levels food is a great way to heal. You have to grab pretty much every piece of food you find and when you're close to death it'll take quite a bit to heal you. But it's one of the best ways to heal that I've found.

Water sources work too, of course, but sometimes you can't go looking.

Radiation doesn't seem like a huge deal. Rad-away can be found nearly everywhere and is easily stolen. No worries at all.

BR796164
    I'm eating twice a day, breakfast and evening meal and I have snack and some drink during the day. Purely for roleplaying purposes.

They really botched (among other things) accumulation of radiation in the body and addictions, as you can get rid of them so easily.

Where are the times when you had to find the right person to get rid of Jet addiction?

10 note
    My sentiments exactly, I eat whatever crap is around if I need healing purely to save a few of the ridiculous amounts of stims I have. I remember the days when stimpacks and radaway were were actually worth a damn and sleeping in the wasteland was worth avoiding because I really didn't want that extra toe. In Fallout 3 it just seems as though they have massively overstocked the world with stimpacks, radaway and drugs. There's no point in worrying about drinking swamp water because because you can get rid of all your radiation poisoning for free at your house and there's enough radaway to decontaminate the whole wasteland lying around in miscellaneous boxes. Back in 2142 I could scarcely afford to buy stims and drugs were reserved for hard fights, now I'm dropping buffout just to carry a little more loot and jet, the best combat drug after perhaps psycho, is now useless outside of vats which I barely use anyway.

Fucking FO3 haters...

Quote Originally Posted by steo View Post
    My sentiments exactly, I eat whatever crap is around if I need healing purely to save a few of the ridiculous amounts of stims I have. I remember the days when stimpacks and radaway were were actually worth a damn and sleeping in the wasteland was worth avoiding because I really didn't want that extra toe. In Fallout 3 it just seems as though they have massively overstocked the world with stimpacks, radaway and drugs. There's no point in worrying about drinking swamp water because because you can get rid of all your radiation poisoning for free at your house and there's enough radaway to decontaminate the whole wasteland lying around in miscellaneous boxes. Back in 2142 I could scarcely afford to buy stims and drugs were reserved for hard fights, now I'm dropping buffout just to carry a little more loot and jet, the best combat drug after perhaps psycho, is now useless outside of vats which I barely use anyway.

Fucking FO3 haters...
    Yeah, too many stims and chems. I haven't found anything which sorts out the latter, but I got a mod which made stimpaks much more rare and increased all damage dealt and received with the fdamageskillmult & fdamageskillbase commands. That sorted it, I had to save stims exclusively for healing limbs after that and food did become useful with the sanitizer gizmo.

Yeah, I never eat food. Also, as I play the game stealth style, I rarely use stimpacks either. I have hundreds of the things now. Rarely do I go through a place using more than a couple and afterwards, I usually sleep to regain most of my health.