TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Mystery of the human cannonball solved

Mystery of the human cannonball solved

Some time ago I expressed some puzzlement in one of these threads over seeing someone flying past high overhead, high enough that it took a second to recognize that it was a human form. Last night I got to see the phenomenon again from close up, so I figured a quick report was in order.

Basically it's an indirect result of a "stretchy corpse" glitch that I see occasionally. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a creature or NPC that's just been killed will go all stretchy, kind of like Plastic Man having a seizure or something. They will snap back and forth and stretch and contract very quickly, and will sometimes hover in the air and move around the area while this is going on. Eventually they will snap back to a normal corpse shape and act like a regular corpse. I don't know if this is a common glitch, if it has something to do with my dual processor rig, or is just an amusing gift from the Software Gods.

In any case, last night I watched a raider who had been killed by a passing Outcast patrol do the stretchy dance for a minute, and then snap back to normal...and then go flying off into the sky like he'd been shot out of a cannon. Apparently the momentum of some fast-moving body part got retained. I was able to find the body after it landed, and it had flown from its starting point just inside the south gate of the Wheaton Armory to a point about 3/4 of the way to the Scrapyard gate. Now if i could just figure out a way to make it happen when I'm prepared to take a few screenshots...

jtr7
    FRAPS? It'll be frustrating if it doesn't happen for too long, and you have to keep deleting the huge files, but that's one way to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeperStorm View Post
    Some time ago I expressed some puzzlement in one of these threads over seeing someone flying past high overhead, high enough that it took a second to recognize that it was a human form. Last night I got to see the phenomenon again from close up, so I figured a quick report was in order.

Basically it's an indirect result of a "stretchy corpse" glitch that I see occasionally. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a creature or NPC that's just been killed will go all stretchy, kind of like Plastic Man having a seizure or something. They will snap back and forth and stretch and contract very quickly, and will sometimes hover in the air and move around the area while this is going on. Eventually they will snap back to a normal corpse shape and act like a regular corpse. I don't know if this is a common glitch, if it has something to do with my dual processor rig, or is just an amusing gift from the Software Gods.

In any case, last night I watched a raider who had been killed by a passing Outcast patrol do the stretchy dance for a minute, and then snap back to normal...and then go flying off into the sky like he'd been shot out of a cannon. Apparently the momentum of some fast-moving body part got retained. I was able to find the body after it landed, and it had flown from its starting point just inside the south gate of the Wheaton Armory to a point about 3/4 of the way to the Scrapyard gate. Now if i could just figure out a way to make it happen when I'm prepared to take a few screenshots...

Mini Nukes. Nuke the living crap out of a bunch of NPCs and most of them will turn to rubber man. I did this before and noticed the same glitch.