TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 119 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1969747984899499104109114115116117118119120121122 LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 3045

Thread: ☣ Coronavirus ☣

It's easy to roll eyes until someone in your family dies from the virus. People need to take this much more seriously like Italy did and Melbourne is doing.

Moderator and Priest
    Is Tony doing that thing where he tries to trick us into supporting extreme positions so he can crow on about how easily manipulated we all are?

Moderator and Priest
    Fortunately for him, I'm very easily manipulated!

I think we should kill all the not-maskers, and eat their hearts!

I, for one, welcome our new masked overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    14 new cases. *sigh*. At least they are from the same group. Now we've found out that they have been out of the Auckland and down to one of our touristy hot spots. We're going to pull a Victoria, Australia if this keeps up.
    I agree with what Pyrian and zombe said.

The results of antibody studies suggest the vast majority of infected don't get tested and counted. The most logical reason is that they don't develop any symptoms, and so they are unaware that they are carrying the virus. But there's also irresponsible people who develop milder symptoms and don't report them and/or don't get tested. Sometimes people lie because they don't want to/can't afford to miss work. Sometimes people just shrug it off, maybe assuming it's a cold, or for reasons I can't explain. And sometimes people report symptoms to their physician and are told not to bother getting tested because they probably don't have COVID-19. But we know these people exist, because some of them get worse and then seek treatment and get tested, and some of them have been back-traced from people they infected. So even though New Zealand has a small population and is geographically isolated, I don't think you can expect to completely eradicate this virus without universal testing of everybody on a frequent basis, which is not really feasible at the moment. It just spreads too easily under the radar.

I doubt you'll have the sort of problem that Victoria has. They took potentially infected people and gathered them together in an environment where they were allowed to spread it among themselves and the staff, thereby creating a super-spreading venue with pathways out into the surrounding communities.

Auckland is now staying at level 3 for another 12 days. Everywhere else is staying at level 2.

Apparently a new strain. With still no idea where it came from

It's admirable to take such strong measures with such few number of cases. Can they keep it up every 2~3 months for the next year or so? That's a question for every country really, mutatis mutandis. This is just the 2nd wave and even good countries are slipping a lot more this time than the last time. God help us a year from now if these waves keep coming.

Anyway, apparently there's a club in Tokyo which has given itself the mission to purposefully spread the virus on the trains, I don't know if they're apocalyptic or trolls or have some kind of herd-immunity-by-force / thin-the-herd, uh, herd mentality. They just stay on the trains and cough on everything. Japanese do so many things so well to take care of each other, but then there's things we can fairly call Japan-level fucked up, and this is one of them. Glad I don't have to take the trains these days.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    14 is not the number where you start sighing.
    This is Covid. Which means you have 14 cases one day, 28 the next, 56 the day after, over 100 the next day, you know the drill

And anything you do to change the direction, doesn't really show up in the trends for about three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    In Tennessee they’re trying to make it so people who refuse to wear masks can be prosecuted for attempted murder the same way people who spread AIDS are.

Maybe we could extend that law to people like SD who are maliciously trying to kill more people by discouraging mask use.
    1.35 million people are killed every year in road accidents, maybe we can try car dealers for murder too.

Yes, 14 cases is when you get to work. I just said the fact they're taking precautions that early is admirable. And if NZ shows anything, it shows that no country can be entirely hermetically sealed. You can get down to 0 cases, and it'll still come back. So something like 14 cases is inevitable.

When one should start sighing at the tragedy of it all is when their country misses the chance to snub it at its root and it blows up in their faces. I guess my point was count your blessings. NZ has been doing the right things and is being saved from the worst of it. In other countries, some people are being really irresponsible and they're getting crazy numbers.

I wasn't really intending to dismiss anyone lamenting their own country's situation though. Everybody everywhere is really in that position in some way, and it's a valid reaction. It was more an expression of frustration with the US and even here in Japan than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Auckland is now staying at level 3 for another 12 days. Everywhere else is staying at level 2.

Apparently a new strain. With still no idea where it came from
    Perhaps New Zealanders caught it from patting themselves on the back.

Still Subjective
    That's some nasty jealousy there SD.

The UK has handled this badly.

And you're still unable to explain the link between cardiac events and infection I see.

The entire picture leads one to believe that you really, really don't get all of this. Just like all the other idiots. In the USA you'd be one of those twits starting fight over masks, wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    That's some nasty jealousy there SD.
    Jealousy? Of what?

New Zealand is one of the most remote countries on the planet, and still they couldn't keep the virus out. Hopefully the hubris of recent months will be replaced by a bit of realism. There. Is. No. Stopping. This. Virus. The threat will always be there until you get a vaccine, which may be never.

What's the solution? Indefinite lockdown? That strikes me as being many times worse than actually catching the virus. After another 12 months of this shit I will be literally ready to kill myself, it's no wonder that suicides are already outnumbering corona deaths in many places. Millions of jobs lost, many of them permanently. At what point do people start to question: is it worth it?

I've no doubt the usual suspects will try to smear me as someone who doesn't care about people dying, but that's literally the opposite of the truth. I am quite confident that the ensuing, largely self-inflicted global depression is going to be that much more murderous than the virus. We all know how deadly recessions are, and this one is shaping up to be the biggest in history. Why can't people see this? We've turned off the road because the surface was too bumpy and we're breezily headed on over the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Jealousy? Of what?

New Zealand is one of the most remote countries on the planet, and still they couldn't keep the virus out.
    But we did. We had 90+ days of no new cases.

I believe in everybody getting flu, pneumonia, and approved vaccines. Not a anti-vacinne guy, BUT.....i don't want a right wing dictator vaccine..,

choices:
    1) Putin's vaccine
    2) Trumps warp speed vaccine
    3) some witch doctor vaccine
    4) some other dictator ?????

No thanks.

Ebay's call centre in the Philippines is closed presently due to an outbreak there. Its happening everywhere. Victoria is down to 305 cases today. On the downward trend.

Gimme some of that Alien Demon Semen! I wanna get back to partying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    Not a anti-vacinne guy, BUT.....i don't want a right wing dictator vaccine..
    Don't think of it as an untested vaccine! Just think of it as a really big phase 3 clinical trial. With terrible data collection.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    1.35 million people are killed every year in road accidents, maybe we can try car dealers for murder too.
    Laugh it up, Dickbag.

Look at what the death rate for COVID is. If not for aggressive social distancing measure and mask use we would have had at least that many dead already.

After another 12 months of this shit I will be literally ready to kill myself, it's no wonder that suicides are already outnumbering corona deaths in many places.
    At least that way only you would die. If you spread this more than one will die.

Quote Originally Posted by howeird View Post
    I believe in everybody getting flu, pneumonia, and approved vaccines. Not a anti-vacinne guy, BUT.....i don't want a right wing dictator vaccine..,

choices:
    1) Putin's vaccine
    2) Trumps warp speed vaccine
    4) some other dictator ?????

No thanks.
    The only person who is taking this seriously and has proven they care about world health is Bill Gates. I work with a Gates Foundation alumni and have heard his commitment is genuine.
    Last edited by Tony_Tarantula; 15th Aug 2020 at 11:39.

Edit: Oops, wrong megathread.

David E. Martin makes a salient point here:

"It is illegal to patent a naturally occurring biological organism.
    Either the Coronavirus patents are evidence of illegal bioweapon research or they are illegal patents of naturally occurring pathogens."
    https://youtu.be/xqxO_5sB2a8

This same video echos the same idea that access to and research about Coroavirus is locked down. You must go through "authorized channels" to examine it.

It's probably not the outrage you want to hear, but at least he and you have stumbled into the age-old complaint that naturally occurring organisms are getting patented. A lot's been written on it.

Worse is that the pathogens usually come from poor countries, and the local people don't see a cent of all the money they make for the companies that patent them. It's funny, even the terrible things from poor countries get stolen and cashed in by rich countries, not only the cultural heritage.

Still Subjective
    Wait what?

You seem to be saying it's unfair that a pathogen that comes from a poor country doesn't benefit that country. Or am I misreading that?

Page 119 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1969747984899499104109114115116117118119120121122 LastLast